• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:01 AM

I have been so busy lately that I am strongly considering (my mind is practically made up) putting an extra set of lights on the 312-8 so I can see where has been cut a little better. My plan is to just mount an extra light on each side pointing down and forward at about a 45 degree angle. Any opinions? Has anybody tried this?
  • JRJ said thank you

#2 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,334 Thanks
  • 1,322 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:31 AM

I worked at a golf course back and when I got out of high school so many moons ago, I'd say 60 % of our mowing was done in the dark, was fun, hint, wear good bug spray !

#3 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:35 AM

its a good idea. unless u got neighbors

#4 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:26 AM

0604130917.jpg

0604130917a.jpg

I had the same problem. Got these From the clearance rack at our local Advance auto parts for around $12.00. They are LED and draw only about 3-5 amps (if i tested them right) so i didn't figure they would put too much draw on the charging system. I love them!  Now when it gets dark just flip them on and keep hammering unless the dew is really heavy and starts clumping up too badly.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Ryan there are a Few ways to look at this.

1) As Marv said it will work so long as the Dew does not set in and cause Clumping, and you do not exceed the output of your charging system.

2) Your a young man, Too young in my opinion to be overwelmed with work!!  Nothing wrong with a good work ethic, but don't get obsessive about it either. If it's too dark to work it's time to relax a bit.

3) Mowing though we all take it for granted can be a very dangerous project. There is not a week goes by I don't hear of someone being hurt with a mower in summer. One needs to be alert at all times when operating machinery!!  Operating in the dark with visibility reduced  just multiplies the risk.

If your tired after a busy day, jamming that last project into your day could result in injury.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 04, 2013 - 09:25 AM.

• hamman, lyall, JDBrian and 2 others have said thanks

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:54 AM

Ryan there are a Few ways to look at this.

2) Your a young man, Too young in my opinion to be overwelmed with work!!  Nothing wrong with a good work ethic, but don't get obsessive about it either. If it's too dark to work it's time to relax a bit.

Yea, wait till you get older with a wife and kids and need a reason to be out of the house  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Not a bad idea, but I'm too close to the neighbors, they barely put up with my late night air compressor and air grinder work!

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Yea, wait till you get older with a wife and kids and need a reason to be out of the house  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl:

Not a bad idea, but I'm too close to the neighbors, they barely put up with my late night air compressor and air grinder work!

Yeah with 5 females around the house. I have been know to camp out in the garage to get a little solitude!!

• hamman and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I have been so busy lately that I am strongly considering (my mind is practically made up) putting an extra set of lights on the 312-8 so I can see where has been cut a little better. My plan is to just mount an extra light on each side pointing down and forward at about a 45 degree angle. Any opinions? Has anybody tried this?

I mow a lot at night, I replaced my front lights with halogens.Sometimes I start at 3-4 am, I work and/or study about 18-19 hours a day, as you get older, or at least for me, you need less sleep, 5-6 hours is a lot for me. I dont particularly care for my neighbor because of their cows, horses, pigs, dogs, geese, goats, and ducks continuosly get onto my property, they are also on my south border and dont know what a trash can is, hence I pick up tons of trash in my fields, so I believe 3am is a GREAT time to mow, I start in the ditches out front and by daylight I have a nicely mowed yard, and my neighbor doesn't need an alarm clock. I also want to mention that this guy drives an 18 wheeler and constantly pulls into my ditch to turn into his property.I have had to tow my mower out of the ruts, When I asked him not to do it, he threatened to kill me. I have put in fence, he ran it over, I have called the police he has ignored them, I have put metal stakes in the ground causing numourous flats, and yet he continous to damage my property. I'm really not that mad or upset because I know the girl he married and his life is utter hell at home, I cant do anything worse to him than she does. I finally took the three point plow and dug the ditch out REAL deep, no more tractor trailer. Yep, I've really mellowed in my old age. Mike

• hamman said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 01:29 PM

I mow a lot at night, I replaced my front lights with halogens.Sometimes I start at 3-4 am, I work and/or study about 18-19 hours a day, as you get older, or at least for me, you need less sleep, 5-6 hours is a lot for me. I dont particularly care for my neighbor because of their cows, horses, pigs, dogs, geese, goats, and ducks continuosly get onto my property, they are also on my south border and dont know what a trash can is, hence I pick up tons of trash in my fields, so I believe 3am is a GREAT time to mow, I start in the ditches out front and by daylight I have a nicely mowed yard, and my neighbor doesn't need an alarm clock. I also want to mention that this guy drives an 18 wheeler and constantly pulls into my ditch to turn into his property.I have had to tow my mower out of the ruts, When I asked him not to do it, he threatened to kill me. I have put in fence, he ran it over, I have called the police he has ignored them, I have put metal stakes in the ground causing numourous flats, and yet he continous to damage my property. I'm really not that mad or upset because I know the girl he married and his life is utter hell at home, I cant do anything worse to him than she does. I finally took the three point plow and dug the ditch out REAL deep, no more tractor trailer. Yep, I've really mellowed in my old age. Mike

Well I guess after reading that I should not complain about having to pay for 40 rod of fence because my neighbor has cattle and Iowa law say's I'm responsible for the half to the right facing the neighbor.

#10 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 02:08 PM

I heard that I did! :thumbs:

#11 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 02:17 PM

I have, I prefer not too because the grass can get wet and that can cause issues, but it feels nice.

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 02:54 PM

Yeah with 5 females around the house. I have been know to camp out in the garage to get a little solitude!!

I always thought my dad worked long, long hours cause we needed the money. As I got older, I realised it was that he had to come home to mom and my 4 older sisters. :D

#13 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:41 PM

Well I guess after reading that I should not complain about having to pay for 40 rod of fence because my neighbor has cattle and Iowa law say's I'm responsible for the half to the right facing the neighbor.

My neighbor and I dont share a fence, he is across the road, the guy thaat owns the 600 acres on my other three sides taakes care of the fence and wont let me help him with the cost, due to the fact that a couple of his cows occaisionally get through the fence, most times he has them out in an hour, great guy. I'm glad I have a road and 300 yds between me and the other guy, In all fairness if you know me you probably would feel the same :rolling:

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:45 PM

[quote name="TAHOE" post="326600" timestamp="1370375672"]I always thought my dad worked long, long hours cause we needed the money. As I got older, I realised it was that he had to come home to mom and my 4 older sisters. :D[/quote

Well to be honest the 5th one is a great granddaughter only a few weeks old and still precious.
She is not much trouble yet!!