• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Sparrow OFFLINE  

Captain_Sparrow
  • Member No: 32281
  • 53 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Alright I must hang my head and admit that there are a lot of implements that I've never used before.  I've been asked by two diff people to level out some piles of dirt that were left in their yards.  One of the piles I get to take home if I clean up the remaining and I want to do it right.  As a kid, I just drug an I-beam behind the tractor and tilled up high spots to drag them down.  I don't have an I-beam or a tiller now.

What I have is a home made box blade without rippers and a bucket loader.  What I'm wondering is, is the box blade supposed to float so as to not dig in when the tires go over bumps in the dirt? or do you typically drag some thing behind to fill in the lil bumps?  I really don't have the money for a drag harrow but I'm thinking that a 4x4 post with about 5' of chain link fence should help.  I've even used a pallet before but don't have any of those at the moment either.

Whats protocol and what kind of impromptu implements have you guys used for leveling out terrain?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Alright I must hang my head and admit that there are a lot of implements that I've never used before.  I've been asked by two diff people to level out some piles of dirt that were left in their yards.  One of the piles I get to take home if I clean up the remaining and I want to do it right.  As a kid, I just drug an I-beam behind the tractor and tilled up high spots to drag them down.  I don't have an I-beam or a tiller now.

What I have is a home made box blade without rippers and a bucket loader.  What I'm wondering is, is the box blade supposed to float so as to not dig in when the tires go over bumps in the dirt? or do you typically drag some thing behind to fill in the lil bumps?  I really don't have the money for a drag harrow but I'm thinking that a 4x4 post with about 5' of chain link fence should help.  I've even used a pallet before but don't have any of those at the moment either.

Whats protocol and what kind of impromptu implements have you guys used for leveling out terrain?

How about a quick till, and then a rear blade, followed by a old twin box springs with some weight on top

• Le_Bear and Captain_Sparrow have said thanks

#3 Le_Bear OFFLINE  

Le_Bear
  • Member No: 12245
  • 10 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:50 PM

here's a funny one that worked. There was an old fridge rear tied into a holy fence behind the barn, I'd torn it all down but the fridge thing was still out there. I layed it flat and put a couple old tractor wheel weights on top of it, tied it to some rope behind a garden tractor, and pulled it around in the garden after tilling. It did a great job of leveling

• boyscout862, WNYTractorTinkerer and Captain_Sparrow have said thanks

#4 Captain_Sparrow OFFLINE  

Captain_Sparrow
  • 53 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 12:01 AM

here's a funny one that worked. There was an old fridge rear tied into a holy fence behind the barn, I'd torn it all down but the fridge thing was still out there. I layed it flat and put a couple old tractor wheel weights on top of it, tied it to some rope behind a garden tractor, and pulled it around in the garden after tilling. It did a great job of leveling

Thats a riot. :)

How about a quick till, and then a rear blade, followed by a old twin box springs with some weight on top

By jove, I think you've got it.  I have some old camper bed cushions under the house that I never got around to recovering.  I'll tear the straw stuff off the springs and drag it around behind the blade after I've spread the dirt around a bit.

• OkieGt said thank you

#5 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 03:00 AM

Drag2_zpsb77b28d8.jpg

Cub_zps4e6c6ee9.jpg

Drag3_zps7ba2be4f.jpg

• Captain_Sparrow said thank you

#6 Captain_Sparrow OFFLINE  

Captain_Sparrow
  • 53 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:55 AM

See now your just showing off lol. (I would show that off too) lol

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:28 AM

Whatever works!! Before I had the tractor with 3 point, Rear Blade and landscape rake, I pulled a section of harrow over the lane with my 318. Bed Springs work well,an Ibeam, Railroad tie, I've even seen people use 4X4's formed into a square frame work.  Use your imagination and don't be afraid to go "back to the Drawing board" if one idea does not pan out.

Just last week I saw the neighbor out in my field with his ATV. He was bringing back my Harrow, he had used it to level his drive. I had told him he was welcome to use it, and he even rewired the concrete blocks back on for added weight.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 04, 2013 - 10:31 AM.

• Alc and Captain_Sparrow have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:58 AM

There's lots of ways to do it. some are faster than others. If you have a loader bucket you can back drag as well to level things.  After you get the lumps off then float the bucket and adjust the bucket edge angle to get the pressure that works for the particular material. It works pretty well for me.

#9 Captain_Sparrow OFFLINE  

Captain_Sparrow
  • 53 Thanks
  • 46 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 11:59 AM

If you have a loader bucket you can back drag as well to level things.

Unfortunately my loader bucket is home made and is unable to do anything other than scoop and dump.  It does not have a ram on the bucket to hold it in any position, rather it was built with a catch & release system.  The bucket has to be pressed against the ground or manually pulled back to its catch position again.  Its a bit redneck lol

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 12:16 PM

Unfortunately my loader bucket is home made and is unable to do anything other than scoop and dump.  It does not have a ram on the bucket to hold it in any position, rather it was built with a catch & release system.  The bucket has to be pressed against the ground or manually pulled back to its catch position again.  Its a bit redneck lol

A trip bucket, will do a lot with a little practice. You should be able to back drag with it, even if you don't have hydralics to adjust angle.

Can you adjust the angle of the bucket?  I can remeber when Hydralic Dump was only available to those rich or had a good Banker??

The rest used trip buckets. One of my least favorite memories was when My father-in Law lifted me and 4 bundles of shingles up on the garage roof and the auto trip, tripped. After I got up, the Trip was wired so it could not release!! Then I got back in the bucket.

I was young and still thought I was 10 ft tall and bulletproof??

#11 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 02:22 PM

built with a catch & release system.  

:bigrofl:

:worshippy1:

Do not do that again, or i WILL bust a gut laughing!!