• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:05 PM

After fixing everything wrong w/ the 314 I found it wasn't for me. Doesn't turn as sharp as I'd like and my old shoulders don't like the steering effort required. A good friend had a Dixon 3303 he didn't like because he has a lot of sidehill mowing to do, so we traded. He loves the 314 and after adjusting the cone drive tranny in the Dixon, I love it for all the ins and outs on our level lawn. So we both walked away smiling.
I'll still keep my old Poulan since it's set up w/ the chipper and tlr for fall leaf collection and my old Wizard aluminum deck push mower for the few places the dixon can't reach.
Mike
  • hamman, twostep and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:36 PM

imagesCAWOKRRW.jpg Sounds like two people with two mowers that were not suited for them. At least there was a happy ending and life can go on (for some anyway).

#3 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:39 PM

attachicon.gifimagesCAWOKRRW.jpg Sounds like two people with two mowers that were not suited for them. At least there was a happy ending and life can go on (for some anyway).

There's a colonel of truth in that!:D

• A.C.T. and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,321 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:34 AM

Sounds like a fair trade, a win win !

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Tis a sad sad day!  Seriously though, I know what you mean about the 314 being a bit of a workout to steer. I'm woking on a 317 now that will have pretty much a new steering system so I'm hoping it will steer easier than my 314!

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:56 AM

Dang it, and used to I would have made a "Green" crack, but I love my John Deere 430 & F935 so much, I have to keep my mouth shut these days!  :D   That's a perfect deal when all parties end up smiling!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Sounds like a great deal as long as both parties are happy.  It just works out like that sometimes.  Glad it worked out for you. :thumbs:

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:35 PM

I'm still trying to figure out who got the best deal here, but I guess, if both are happy who cares :D

• Team_Green said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 01:54 AM

Dang it, and used to I would have made a "Green" crack, but I love my John Deere 430 & F935 so much, I have to keep my mouth shut these days!  :D   That's a perfect deal when all parties end up smiling!

A friend and I are looking at a JD430 for sale in the area.  The price is good, but the front PTO needs to be replaced.  Anything else we should know about it if we decide to buy?

Smitty

#10 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 10:12 PM

After fixing everything wrong w/ the 314 I found it wasn't for me. Doesn't turn as sharp as I'd like and my old shoulders don't like the steering effort required. A good friend had a Dixon 3303 he didn't like because he has a lot of sidehill mowing to do, so we traded. He loves the 314 and after adjusting the cone drive tranny in the Dixon, I love it for all the ins and outs on our level lawn. So we both walked away smiling.
I'll still keep my old Poulan since it's set up w/ the chipper and tlr for fall leaf collection and my old Wizard aluminum deck push mower for the few places the dixon can't reach.
Mike

Oh yeah , my 314 is a bear to steer at low speeds. You definately get a work out.

#11 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 07:57 AM

Mike

And:

Oh yeah , my 314 is a bear to steer at low speeds. You definately get a work out.

The steering box more than likely needs rebuilt.  Also, check the front axle pivot bushing for wear.  My 314 needs these repairs and turning the wheel puts a funny bind on the assembly when the axle pivot is worn.

Edited by Trav1s, June 09, 2013 - 07:58 AM.

• nade-em said thank you

#12 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,307 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Am I to assume by axle pivots you mean the king pins? Or do you refer to the pin the center of the axle oscillates on?

Mike

Edited by ol' stonebreaker, June 09, 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#13 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 03:59 PM

And:

The steering box more than likely needs rebuilt.  Also, check the front axle pivot bushing for wear.  My 314 needs these repairs and turning the wheel puts a funny bind on the assembly when the axle pivot is worn.

Yep, the steering is very loose, hard to keep a straight line! The bushing looks to be worn out too.