#1 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Had an eventful time trying to mow today, first broke the belt that engages the cutting deck, went and got a new one, then the engine died like it ran out of gas. Took out an inline fuel filter that had been in there since I got it thinking that there isn't enough head pressure from the gas tank to force the gas thru an old filter. It started fine, drove it out into the yard and soon as I engaged the deck it died again. Tried to start it and it cranked over then the starter disengaged and just kept spinning like the starter drive went bad. Not quite the case, dang it! The starter shaft broke off flush with the starter housing. No time to try to fix that so I had to pull my old Murray out of the shed which hadn't been run in 2 years and finish mowing with it. Broke the brake spring on that and one of the cutting deck rods, which I had to weld to get the cutting deck back into a position where the drive belt would not slip. Went ahead and finished mowing without a brake tho! 

I guess it's time to hunt for a starter!---LOL!! Seems like I read somewhere them things are pretty expensive, but I haven't had time to do any online research yet. I came here to lick my wounds first.
Anyone have any affordable ideas? Any help will be appreciated.

Here's some pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• MF12 broken starter 005.jpg
  • MF12 broken starter 003.jpg
  • MF12 broken starter 004.jpg

Edited by MFDAC, June 03, 2013 - 10:13 PM.

• IamSherwood said thank you

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Sounds like you had a Murphy's law day.

If you can find the engine pulley off of a starter/generator engine you could bolt it on yours and use it as a pull start, has a grove in it so you can wind a rope on.

masseys 026.jpg

• MH81 and MFDAC have said thanks

#3 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:19 PM

I've got an extra starter/generator and pulley but it's for a Briggs, not a HH120 Tecumseh! Could it be adapted, yeah but right in the middle of grass growin' an inch a day, I probably can't fab it up fast enuff without takin a week off worK---LOL. Oh well that old Murray is still useable---I guess---

Edited by MFDAC, June 03, 2013 - 10:27 PM.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Check with the Site Sponsors, the Teccy engines used the same starter in most situations foe the 10 & 12's at least.

You should be able to track one down that came out of a Sears Roper, or a MF...

If not, you may be able to have that shaft rewelded and ground smooth again? IDK

If you go searching on ebay (or anywhere, for that matter) you will want to count the # of teeth as I think there were at least 2 different sizes.
  • MFDAC said thank you

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:51 PM

I never seen a starter break like that before. I searched Tecumseh starters on ebay & they are a lot of them....not too bad. Most are around $60. & some less too. Hope you find one.

#6 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:43 PM

I never seen a starter break like that before. I searched Tecumseh starters on ebay & they are a lot of them....not too bad. Most are around $60. & some less too. Hope you find one.

I'd buy a old one that needed rebuilt before I bought one off the new ones, pretty cheesy until you spend over 75.00

#7 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 03:26 AM

When I worked at the Rock Quarry, we had a few starts go bad after getting them rebuilt. They would work fine the first time, but then nothing. I would take the starter off, and the drive was out just a little bit, I would tap it back, it would fine one time and the drive would be stuck again. Turns out the shaft in the armature was twisting. We had several of these do this, they all came from the same rebuilder.
  • MH81, sacsr and MFDAC have said thanks

#8 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 03:42 AM

Park it at the top of a hill!!   :say_what:

:bigrofl:

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 05:57 AM

I've had good luck with these. Good people to deal with too.

http://www.mfgsupply...ec/stc0005.html

• MH81, MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have a tecumseh starter in my building that I will let go for shipping. It's a brand new starter but I believe I got it to hot one time when trying to get the motor started. I scraped the motor and kept the starter(?).

If interested I can send you some pictures and if really interested give me a zip code and I'll see what shipping will cost.

I did hook a jumper box to it and it did spin.

Edited by SearsYellow, June 04, 2013 - 10:27 AM.

• MFDAC and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:09 AM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370358503.435465.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370358534.032520.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21370358577.241499.jpg
  • MFDAC said thank you

#12 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 07:24 PM

Check with the Site Sponsors, the Teccy engines used the same starter in most situations foe the 10 & 12's at least.

You should be able to track one down that came out of a Sears Roper, or a MF...

If not, you may be able to have that shaft rewelded and ground smooth again? IDK

If you go searching on ebay (or anywhere, for that matter) you will want to count the # of teeth as I think there were at least 2 different sizes.

Great advice!

I was thinking more around $100 + ship so that is considerably better.

I'd buy a old one that needed rebuilt before I bought one off the new ones, pretty cheesy until you spend over 75.00

Yeah I suppose cheaper means cheap.

When I worked at the Rock Quarry, we had a few starts go bad after getting them rebuilt. They would work fine the first time, but then nothing. I would take the starter off, and the drive was out just a little bit, I would tap it back, it would fine one time and the drive would be stuck again. Turns out the shaft in the armature was twisting. We had several of these do this, they all came from the same rebuilder.

I think this may be the original starter on this tractor, so it is just more like 38 years why it probably broke!

Park it at the top of a hill!!   :say_what:
:bigrofl:

LOL! Here's a pic of the biggest hill in my yard! I call it "Little Round Top".

I've had good luck with these. Good people to deal with too.

http://www.mfgsupply...ec/stc0005.html

I will sure check with them if needed, Will!

I have a tecumseh starter in my building that I will let go for shipping. It's a brand new starter but I believe I got it to hot one time when trying to get the motor started. I scraped the motor and kept the starter(?).

If interested I can send you some pictures and if really interested give me a zip code and I'll see what shipping will cost.

I did hook a jumper box to it and it did spin.

SearsYellow, that is too generous of an offer but I will certainly take you up on it! This is greatly appreciated! It appears to be the same starter. My zip code is 57703.

Thanks again everyone! What a great site!

First pic is "Little Round Top"
Then my starter.

Attached Thumbnails

• Mowin with the MF12.jpg
  • MF12 broken starter 006.jpg
  • MF12 broken starter 007.jpg
  • MF12 broken starter 008.jpg

• IamSherwood said thank you

#13 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:14 PM

I will take it to post office in the morning and see how much it will be. Im pretty sure it will be somewhere between 8-15 bucks. It's something I wouldn't want to sell someone for full price because I can't promise functionality. The motor that the starter was on kept blowing head gasket. I finally got tired of messing around with the engine and junked it and replaced it with a predator 420. The day I junked the motor I got the starter extremely hot because I had to kept trying to start it.

• MFDAC said thank you

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:17 PM

MFDAC, I may have missed it, or I may have forgotten that I've

already seen it, but I just noticed, in your signature, you list a MF8E.

Is there a picture we can see of it?

Sorry to get off topic, but .......it's an executive....!!!

• MFDAC said thank you

#15 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 2,027 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I will take it to post office in the morning and see how much it will be. Im pretty sure it will be somewhere between 8-15 bucks. It's something I wouldn't want to sell someone for full price because I can't promise functionality. The motor that the starter was on kept blowing head gasket. I finally got tired of messing around with the engine and junked it and replaced it with a predator 420. The day I junked the motor I got the starter extremely hot because I had to kept trying to start it.

Man, that is real reasonable, let me know how you want payment and my address! I can't thank you enuff! I may be able to build one good one out of the two so we will see!

MFDAC, I may have missed it, or I may have forgotten that I've
already seen it, but I just noticed, in your signature, you list a MF8E.

Is there a picture we can see of it?
Sorry to get off topic, but .......it's an executive....!!!

That's fine Will, no hijack taken! I am registered and was one of the first to post in that MF8E thread,we have talked before. Sorry I don't post more but there isn't much exciting to talk about with my tractors. I push snow with the 8E and mow grass with the 12G. I do have a snow thrower and blade for the 12G too. Here's some pics of the 8E.

Later---DAC  

Attached Thumbnails

• 1961 Massey Ferguson 001.jpg
  • 1961 Massey Ferguson 002.jpg
  • snow 11-19-11 006.jpg
  • snow 11-19-11 007.jpg
  • snow 11-19-11 008.jpg

• IamSherwood and LUKEW have said thanks