• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:15 PM

My old Case 446 doesn't charge the battery. I've been putting off fixing it for the last month or so, since I have some spare time now I decided to take a look at it.

After looking things over I have decided that the Regulator is not working... I have approx 30 Volts AC out of the 2 wires going to the Rectifier and 12 Volts back to the Red wire from the Ignition switch when the key is on. I put a ground directly from the regulator mounting screw to the battery negative post.

I suspect that the 83 Case uses a half wave regulator as only one wire from the Stator goes to it and the other Stator wire is looped over to the Red charging wire.  This is an Onan B43 on a 1983 Tractor.

I was wondering if anyone has used the more conventional rectifiers that are found on most other gt's the type that have the Stator hooked to the outside 2 terminals and the odd terminal goes to the battery?

I'm comfortable with the wiring and the savings would be quite a bit as Case Ingersoll evidently was one of the few to use this system.

#2 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:21 PM

Are you saying you have both regulator and rectifier? I thought only older starter gen tractors had regulators.

• Arti said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:30 PM

I bought a regulator a long time ago new off ebay, and it had the directions to use the jumper on one AC terminal like you said.  I never used one one a one wire stator myself though.

• Arti said thank you

#4 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:31 PM

It's a regulator / rectifier in one electronic box. mounts on a plate just under the steering wheel. The stator / charging coil is under the flywheel.

#5 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I bought a regulator a long time ago new off ebay, and it had the directions to use the jumper on one AC terminal like you said.  I never used one one a one wire stator myself though.

2 wires coming from the stator. only one of them actually goes to the regulator. The second stator wire is connected to the charging wire that goes to the battery.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:40 PM

I think they have a standard loop circuit stator, so you should be able to hook both stator leads to a std voltage regulator at the AC spades, with the "B" terminal going to the battery.  When you tested to get the 30VAC, this was with both stator leads going to your tester, correct?  If so, hook up like I said above.

• Arti said thank you

#7 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:22 PM

I think they have a standard loop circuit stator, so you should be able to hook both stator leads to a std voltage regulator at the AC spades, with the "B" terminal going to the battery.  When you tested to get the 30VAC, this was with both stator leads going to your tester, correct?  If so, hook up like I said above.

30 Volts across both stator leads. The stator checks the same with an ohmmeter as a  Deere with an Onan. I was just hoping that someone had done this before... A 3 wire regulator is only $25. for a new one,, I guess I left more than that on a bar one nite so I'll just order one and see what happens. The proper one is $70. btw.