21 replies to this topic

#1 tswisla OFFLINE  

tswisla
  • Member No: 37357
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Hello,

I have a Craftsman 917.288740 54" mower with a Kohler Courage 27 motor.  I have had it for 5 years, it has about 350 hours on it.  Recently, when it gets hot, it begins to sputter and dies.  Feels and sounds like fuel is not getting to it.  If I let it cool down, it starts right up and works for a while and then the same thing happens again.  I have a new fuel filter and fresh gas in it, does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

• JRJ said thank you

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Welcome to GTtalk tswiia.  When it dies check to see if you are getting spark.  You can get a cheap spark tester at HF(Harbor Freight) if you don't have one.  If you have spark then I would start looking at either trash in the tank or possibly in the carburetor.  The length of time it runs is it predictable?

#3 tswisla OFFLINE  

tswisla
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 02:42 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the quick reply.  It is not predictable except for that it only happens after it is good and hot.  It will even idle sometimes, but if I press the accelerator or engage the blades, it dies.  I will check for spark, but I am sure that it is not the spark.  Thank you very much.

Tom

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Welcome to GTT. I would also check for a mouse nest in the engine. That can cause overheating and vaporlock. For the heck of it, check the gas cap vent too. Good Luck, Rick

• iron Mike said thank you

#5 tswisla OFFLINE  

tswisla
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thank you again.  The engine is clean, I blow it out with a leaf blower pretty often.  The gas cap has a vent?  I am back in because it started acting up again.  Same deal, started right up, then after about an hour or so, it starts to sputter and die.  What controls the fuel delivery in this kind of engine?  I see that the fuel goes into the filter and then into some square object that takes vapor from the engine, what is this thing and how do you test it?  There can't be a fuel pump on this?  

Tom

#6 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:50 PM

I am going to take a stab and say it could be the battery, let me suggest taking  it out and take to just about any auto parts store for a load test, most of them will do it free (with the hopes that yours is bad and they can sell you one.0. If it test o.k report back and we can go from there.

didn't mean to forget you, welcome to GTtalk where you will find a bunch of wiling to help men.

Dick

Edited by JRJ, June 03, 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:59 PM

It could be the fuel pump you are refering to. My Sears custom 10 xl did the same thing. I had to get a B&S replacement pump for it and put it on. Has worked good since then. Good luck welcome to the forum.

#8 tswisla OFFLINE  

tswisla
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thank you again.  The battery could cause this?  It starts right up, no problems, you think that it might not be holding a charge?  I found a schematic, the thing I am referring to is the "pulse pump", any idea how to troubleshoot this thing?

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Welcome to GTTalk,
Those hydrostatic get pretty hot, best check to see if the fuel line has fallen down on the tranny housing.
Could be causing vapor lock.

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,664 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thank you again.  The battery could cause this?  It starts right up, no problems, you think that it might not be holding a charge?  I found a schematic, the thing I am referring to is the "pulse pump", any idea how to troubleshoot this thing?

A vacuum leak so the pump won't pump well is also a cause..  Look for oil leakage..  There's your leak if so..  To troubleshoot the pump, remove it and plug the fuel   inlet with your finger.  Blow into the fuel outlet and if you find/feel any air leakage your diaphragm is bad..  (time to shop)   You might also notice fuel in the oil if this is so..  Change the oil after installing the new pump.

I don't think so unless the voltage @ the coil is below ~10V DC if it has that type of ignition.. (I think it's Magneto though)   Being that it cranks right over again that doesn't seem to be the case does it?

If it sparks when you test it..  Pull the spark plugs and Read the signs they provide as to what / how the engine is running..  If they are white/grayish you are mean & lean..  Fuel problem gets the nod..

If not, Try new plugs first.  Even though they spark with your test it may be a different story under compression..  

Vapor-lock could well cause this as suggested above...

Failing ignition coils could be dying @ high temp..  Is the oil OK or is the engine overheating?  Plugged air cooling passages will cause this too..  

So lots of stuff could be happening but being I'm quite a ways east of ya this is all I can offer..

Welcome to the GTtalk  Machine!

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:53 PM

Since it is running for about an hour and then it dies I would suspect the fuel system.  As others have suggested I would suspect a vapor lock.  Check the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor and make sure it isn't in a position of getting over heated.  Also have you pulled the tin's to make sure you don't have a nest? 

#12 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I think he may need to adjust the valves. Think about it, with no temp guage you really dont't know what your engine temp is, BUT after 5 years and no valve adjustment, I believe the exhaust valve is opening late, heating up the engine and shutting it down, continued use will cause you to lose a cylinder, intake valve out of adjustment will also allow for too rich or too lean fuel mixture. It's a 15 minute job, type in 27hp kohler courage valve adjustment on youtube and you'll have a instructional video that will allow a ten year old to do it.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 Puttinalong OFFLINE  

Puttinalong
  • Member No: 36604
  • 15 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 12:56 PM

I am new to this forum, but been working on engines for a while so I'll put my vote in...if I was a betting man, I'd say since it is getting hot and sputters out, the coil is going bad where it isn't making enough juice to keep the spark plugs from igniting the fuel in the chamber.  I'll sit back with ya'll and see what the verdict will be..... :watch_over_fence:

#14 paoldschool OFFLINE  

paoldschool
  • Member No: 38195
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 07:34 AM

I second the last post.  It is either the coil or vapor lock in the fuel system.  Just my two cents...

#15 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • Member No: 38187
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 11:35 AM

My first thought is the coil...others have alluded to this but my experience tells me that "if it only occurs after the unit has reached normal operating temps" then the coil is the first logical step to investigate. This is my first post on this forum & I sure hope my comments do not mislead anyone. Please let us know how you fix it...

• MH81, iron Mike and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks