8 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:29 AM

Finally got a break in the weather for a couple days and got the last of the plants in the ground!!!

Saturday  Morning I took the Ford 1500 and  5Ft brush mower and mowed for about an Hour.

Then The Wife and I planted the last of the tomatoes. Then it started raining, so I went to the garage and cleaned it up enough I( could work on the John Deere 318.

Sunday afternoon we got the last of the pepper plants and Herbs in. I took the Super Bronco and tilled between the potatoe Rows. The last row of potatoes that were planted late(about 3 weeks ago) started popping up Saturday afternoon. Those are novelty potatoes, Mountain Rose, Purple Majesty and Colorado Pearls and it looks like they will make a full row.

Considering all the rain we have got, I don't feel too bad about getting planting done by June 2nd??

Guess this will test my theory that late gardens, put plants outside the life cycle of some insect pests?

I had saved a lot of grass for mulch and with all the rain on it it was spoiling so I pushed that into the compost pile and turned the pile.

I did get the new spindle in the 318 deck last night Took a while since I twisted off some shield mounting bolts and had to drill them out and replace with carriage bolts.so will be mounting it tonight. They are predicting rain again for Tuesday and Wednesday.

I can't imagine life on a dairy farm like Daniel?? I only have 9 acres and never run out of things needing done, Equipment needing fixed, and weather putting everything behind schedule!

• daytime dave, hamman, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#2 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:23 AM

We used the "never plant anything before Mothers Day" method for the past 5 years, always very successful!!

We just had periods of weather that allowed us to start early this year!!   :dancingbanana:

I was a believer in the insect cycle concept, now I have switched to;

"Insects like sugar, not carbs"

Weak plants are loaded with sugar, strong plants are high in carbs. I believe the insects have moved on to the neighbors.

Kind of like a pot luck dinner, the attendees eat what they like, and leave everything else behind.

So far, it is working!!, has been working for 3 years!!   :rolling:

• OkieGt said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:25 PM

had to cover our garden last night. heavy freeze. going to do the same thing tonoght. wouldn't be so bad but it is a big garden. good luck with yours. Roger.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 05:04 PM

It's a little dry for my liking down here in VA.  I see a "little black rain cloud" and I hope it leaves something behind before it rolls on.

Ben W.

#5 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:21 PM

We actually have been getting some rain which is always nice. My peas still aren't all up but a couple more every day... PLANTED THEM 28 DAYS AGO!!! As long as they all grow

#6 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:35 PM

I had fresh peas last night for supper. LOL

#7 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:53 PM

I had fresh peas last night for supper. LOL

I ain't gettin' nothin' but stems and leaves so far, now over 4 feet tall!!

Peas_zpsff063582.jpg

But that should change with the next rain storm!!

Peas2_zps31c5b3e0.jpg

:tapping_fingers:

• twostep said thank you

#8 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:02 PM

We are behind this year as I just started planting today.

GEDC0298.JPG

GEDC0301.JPG

• twostep said thank you

#9 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 884 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Finally got a break in the weather for a couple days and got the last of the plants in the ground!!!Saturday  Morning I took the Ford 1500 and  5Ft brush mower and mowed for about an Hour.Then The Wife and I planted the last of the tomatoes. Then it started raining, so I went to the garage and cleaned it up enough I( could work on the John Deere 318.Sunday afternoon we got the last of the pepper plants and Herbs in. I took the Super Bronco and tilled between the potatoe Rows. The last row of potatoes that were planted late(about 3 weeks ago) started popping up Saturday afternoon. Those are novelty potatoes, Mountain Rose, Purple Majesty and Colorado Pearls and it looks like they will make a full row.Considering all the rain we have got, I don't feel too bad about getting planting done by June 2nd??Guess this will test my theory that late gardens, put plants outside the life cycle of some insect pests?  I had saved a lot of grass for mulch and with all the rain on it it was spoiling so I pushed that into the compost pile and turned the pile. I did get the new spindle in the 318 deck last night Took a while since I twisted off some shield mounting bolts and had to drill them out and replace with carriage bolts.so will be mounting it tonight. They are predicting rain again for Tuesday and Wednesday. I can't imagine life on a dairy farm like Daniel?? I only have 9 acres and never run out of things needing done, Equipment needing fixed, and weather putting everything behind schedule!

My younger self spent summers on that dairy farm, experiencing it first hand, and watching my Grandfather and my uncle (Daniel) I still can't tell you how they do it! And still spend time with there families. I've always been amazed and in awe at what they do, and how they do it. It's amazing to me, always has been and always will I guess.
  • twostep said thank you