• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#121 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 11:30 AM

Oh, you have got plenty of extra weight then, 100# per rear wheel is Great.  On (or in) the wheels and low is excellent.

If you do fill the tires, a product called "Rim-Guard" (google it) is the best thing, safe for rims and the earth.

If your tilling, you should have some weight on the front for balance and steering, even for plowing, a  little extra weight on the front wheels will help with steering.

• js5020 said thank you

#122 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 280 Thanks
  • 269 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well the only thing that has shown up so far was the engine parts, sooooo I put the engine back together,, after I took out the balance gears of course

[/URL]">http://IMG_3152_zpsfac11ba1.jpg

I found nothing inside to indicate why the piston blew apart.  Only two things I saw that were suspicious were several blocked fins and a new set of points,,,,could the blocked air fins and possibly not having the point timing correct have caused the blown piston?  Oh well were gonna see if it blows apart again.

Just curious, did the cylinder have a ridge of carbon at the top? I read somewhere that piston failures in Kohlers were often caused by a buildup of carbon at the top end of the cylinder that the piston rings would hit.

Larry

• js5020 said thank you

#123 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 08:42 PM

Just curious, did the cylinder have a ridge of carbon at the top? I read somewhere that piston failures in Kohlers were often caused by a buildup of carbon at the top end of the cylinder that the piston rings would hit.

Larry

No it didnt have a carbon ridge at the top of the cylinder, and nothing abnormal carbon wise on the cylinder head either.  Only thing I know is the machine sat, for how long I dont know, they put a new set of points in it, changed the oil and put it to work.  They were tilling with it for a few hours, I heard it running and it sounded fine.  They were putting it away for the day and the engine just spun to a stop like a broken rod.

#124 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 13, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Well it lives again!!  It runs pretty darn nice in fact, just like a K series should.  Everyone had to give it a ride, probably put an hour or two on it. No strange noises no leaks. Hydro seems strong

Had to put the blade on it, had some issue with the angling handle, its previous owner had the handle on backwards and it was making contact with the PTO when angled, by the looks of the handle the previous owner just used it like that.

Maybe tomorrow I will put the blower on it.

#125 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 20, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Well a quick pic of the L+G iron,,, the blower is on and it spins real nice,, I have to modify the crank handle bracket because it hits the electric pto, I also swapped the barbell wheel weight brackets I made for the one walkbehind.

[/URL]">http://IMG_3172_zpse4b9e63e.jpg

• MH81, twostep and LilysDad have said thanks

#126 JimD OFFLINE  

JimD

• Member No: 385
  • 680 Thanks
  • 482 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 06:37 PM

:thumbs: :thumbs:

• js5020 said thank you

#127 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 07:42 PM

How fine is that??!!! Can you imagine anyone discontinuing it's manufacture???

• js5020 said thank you

#128 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 21, 2013 - 08:48 PM

How fine is that??!!! Can you imagine anyone discontinuing it's manufacture???

Who knows the exact reasons for discontinuing the WH brand or any of the other name brands that have gone by the wayside in the last decades, I suppose we could type pages debating the what ifs and the why they shouldnt but it would all be wasted bandwidth as they will never reappear for whatever those reasons were that shut them down in the first place.

All we can do is enjoy the brand we like till the parts supply runs out and then find another.

#129 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:18 AM

I appreciate those folks who manufacture replacement parts. There is room for growth there.

#130 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 08:44 AM

I appreciate those folks who manufacture replacement parts. There is room for growth there.

I really believe there could be a home business making up replacement parts for some of these once popular brands.  So many folks are into this older iron since alot of the new iron is either pretty spendy for the "average" guy or just doesnt hold up.

#131 panzersarebest OFFLINE  

panzersarebest
  • Member No: 36584
  • 523 Thanks
  • 407 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Looks great!

• js5020 said thank you

#132 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 22, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well another piece of the puzzle showed up,, a hitch, now it can be more than a butt buggy.  I'll have to take it back off and paint it but there were some weed piles that needed picked up so it was a good excuse to put it on and pull the trailer. 26 beans to the door, not the deal of a lifetime but I didnt think it was bad price.

[/URL]">http://IMG_3173_zpsfe18ae02.jpg

• twostep and GlenPettit have said thanks

#133 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:36 AM

We have most of the knobs, inserts and some misc. items for just Wheel Horses available on the following site,

if you hear of someone looking for a Wheel Horse part I may have, please do share this with them (30+ items now):

GlenPettit . WheelHorseForum . com 

Glen

• LilysDad said thank you

#134 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Glen its always nice to know about folks who are making/refirbing parts/accessories for any of our older machines.  So many models of Older Iron could be kept running if there were reliable aftermarket parts sources available to supply the need, and Im sure there is a need.  The aftermarket car parts seem to work, why shouldnt aftermarket tractor parts?

• GlenPettit said thank you

#135 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 11:46 AM

GT collecting is only getting more popular and WH is one of the common ones to be rebuilt.

• GlenPettit said thank you