mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:55 PM

Maynard, is this Gaelic?

HA HA HA !!! What are you trying to say Alan ?:rofl2:Is that a poke in the eye?:laughingteeth:

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:55 PM

Is that any good,he offered to install that for me last year and I wasn't sure about it.This stuff is all way over my head.

George would know much more than I, but I think all the Linux stuff is a little "Techy" for the average user. George, Don't you have to run emulators to run M$ programs & all that jazz?

#33 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:00 PM

Don't assume that a funny acting cpu. is always a virus. Heat can be one thing, how long has it been since you've opened it up and went dust-bunny hunting? are all the fans working properly? Is the hard drive running out of free space, and does it need defragmented? These are just some of the things I've seen get overlooked and can cause problems. There is a free pgm. I use to monitor all the temp sensors, but I forget the name, I'll post it when I get home from work.
  • NUTNDUN, mjodrey and MH81 have said thanks

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:02 PM

Ubuntu is about the easiest to use Linux distro out there. There are tons of distributions out there. If you are ever really curious about it you can always check out Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu or go to DistroWatch.com: Put the fun back into computing. Use Linux, BSD. to see all the different ones available.

#35 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Don't assume that a funny acting cpu. is always a virus. Heat can be one thing, how long has it been since you've opened it up and went dust-bunny hunting? are all the fans working properly? Is the hard drive running out of free space, and does it need defragmented? These are just some of the things I've seen get overlooked and can cause problems. There is a free pgm. I use to monitor all the temp sensors, but I forget the name, I'll post it when I get home from work.

That is very true and I do tend to overlook it sometimes too. I always forget not everyone cleans their pc like I do.

#36 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:07 PM

You know,I have noticed that the fan seems to be running at a higher rate of speed and longer, as compared to how it was.Can heat do this?

#37 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:11 PM

You know,I have noticed that the fan seems to be running at a higher rate of speed and longer, as compared to how it was.Can heat do this?

Yes heat would cause the fans to run faster, they are usually always on but they do make the fans variable speed now to help keep them quieter until the temps rise.

You have an air compressor, or you can buy the can of compressed air. I use my air compressor though. You will need to take the side cover off of the tower. Don't touch anything inside unless you have a bare hand or a grounding strap to the outside of the case first. Keep a safe distance with the air nozzle and blow out all the little dust bunnies.

#38 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:12 PM

George would know much more than I, but I think all the Linux stuff is a little "Techy" for the average user. George, Don't you have to run emulators to run M$ programs & all that jazz?

Yes you would need to run emulators to be able to run microshaft programs on linux but why would you? There are equally comparable programs in Linux for free. MS Office -> OpenOffice does the same thing.

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:17 PM

MS Office -> OpenOffice does the same thing.

Yeah, I already use OpenOffice.org for everything at home. It's great!

#40 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:21 PM

Yes heat would cause the fans to run faster, they are usually always on but they do make the fans variable speed now to help keep them quieter until the temps rise.

You have an air compressor, or you can buy the can of compressed air. I use my air compressor though. You will need to take the side cover off of the tower. Don't touch anything inside unless you have a bare hand or a grounding strap to the outside of the case first. Keep a safe distance with the air nozzle and blow out all the little dust bunnies.

Also, just about all cpu's and video cards will slow themselves down when they start getting warm. I like to use one of those portable tanks that you top off with the compressor. Also you want to unplug it before you start blowin' them bunnies around in there, and be very carefull with the nozzle. good luck.

#41 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:22 PM

Yeah, I already use OpenOffice.org for everything at home. It's great!

:ditto::iagree::yeah_that:

#42 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:22 PM

I have a bodyshop,so yes,I do have a compressor.I'll just turn the regulator way down (5 pound or so ),and give it a blast.

#43 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:23 PM

you may find 30-60 psig to work better.
Oh, and put a finger on the fans so you don't over rev them.

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:32 PM

you may find 30-60 psig to work better.

And if 30-60 PSI doesn't work, try about 124 grains, right WQDL753 ?

#45 jdslednut ONLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:34 PM

My laptop bogged way down to almost no speed and the fan ran all of the time. I thought it was just time for a restore since it had been awhile. I restored everything with no results and decided it was new hard drive time (needed more space anyway). While in there I saw it was pretty much plugged with dust. I blew it out and it runs like new. Wish I would have thought of that in the first place, would have saved a bunch of dial-up download hours.