Garden Tractor Forums banner

Virus

4K views 61 replies 12 participants last post by  NUTNDUN 
#1 ·
Hey guys,my computer is acting odd,it may have picked up a virus or something,so if I disappear for a while,my computer might be down.

#3 ·
Well,how can I explain.It is all of a sudden really slow,my e-mail freezes up sometimes,if I am looking at say a YouTube video,the picture will freeze up but the sound continues.These are just some of the things I have noticed in the last day or two.

#4 ·
Mine picked up some kind of scamware. Wouldn't let me activate virus scan or delete it in any way, nor reload to an earlier date. It wanted $80 for a virus deleting program. Isn't that sweet, they invade your computer, then want money to remove it! I finally got the computer in safe mode, then reloaded my computer to an earlier date & all is fine now.

#8 ·
When my RAM memory gets slim, it can act like you describe. These sort of problems are spread out so much that I forget how to fix it & have to learn all over again. Maybe someone else here can lead you through checking your RAM.

#9 ·
I'm new to this kind of thing,so I'll have try to figure it out.I have a neighbor who is good with computers,maybe I can get him to have a look at it.I wish I new a little more about computers.

#10 ·
See,It's kinda hard to "talk someone through something" when they don't know what they're doing.:confuse::confuse::D

#11 ·
My first question would be have you installed anything new in the past week?

If you say no and the computer has really started to act differently in the last two days then there is a good chance you have a virus. Do you have an anti virus program installed? Do you happen to remember going on a website and it was almost like your screen flickered?

#12 ·
olcowhand said:
...then reloaded my computer to an earlier date & all is fine now.
Dan, It'll be back. Had the same thing here 8 & 6 months ago. I defeated it by running the following programs:

Spybot Search & destroy
Adaware Free
AntiVir Free for Personal (This is the one that I think killed it)
Malware Sweeper
SuperAntiSpyware Free (This one found a bunch more stuff than all the others)
and Abexo Registry Cleaner

All of these are available from Download.com (make sure they're the free versions.)

I had AVG Free when I got the damn thing, I have switched to AntiVir until someone tells me it's a mistake. No more problems yet.

#13 ·
I have not installed anything recently.and yes,I believe maybe I do remember the screen "flickering" once the other day,but I didn't think anything of it.So what should I do,or have somebody do for me?

#14 ·
AVG used to be a great free antivirus program. The virus you guys are talking about is usually named Antivirus 360 or A360. It installs hidden files and makes a registry entry so when you log in it trips the program to give the warnings. It also makes proxy changes to your web browser so it is like you can't connect to the internet.

#15 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Do you happen to remember going on a website and it was almost like your screen flickered?
There's an alert here on Craigslist that a redirect throws a pop-up that tells you that you have a virus, then when you click ANYTHING, it actually loads the virus that wants $80 to steal your Credit Card info. Thank you very much... (a-hole virus writing jerks)

#16 ·
I don't run any antivirus on my computer. I have gotten a virus one time but I was able to install avg and it took care of it. I love messing with computers and build my own and I am always switching operating systems.

If you wanna fight viruses you could always run linux, very hard to get a virus when you are using linux unless you have a habbit of logging in as root which is a big no no.

#18 ·
Reactions: mjodrey
#20 ·
mjodrey said:
I have not installed anything recently.and yes,I believe maybe I do remember the screen "flickering" once the other day,but I didn't think anything of it.So what should I do,or have somebody do for me?
Maynard,
RE: AVG , please see above post by me...
Oh, & I know where you got your "bug"... It was surfing for funny signs or something. :D
Hope this all works out OK for you.

#21 ·
NUTNDUN said:
...unless you have a habbit of logging in as root which is a big no no.
Right, roots are not logs. Logs are above the ground, roots are below.

Linux is one of those Magical pixie things that I just take for granted people know what they're doing... The last language I actually learned was Qbasic (George, don't you laugh) I made a screen saver for my 386 with it... very helpful.

#22 ·
MH81 said:
Oh, & I know where you got your "bug"... It was surfing for funny signs or something. :D
Funny signs ?? Why what ever are you talking about.:bigrofl:

#24 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Maynard do you know how to get into safe mode on windows?
No, I can't say as I do.

#25 ·
My neighbor uses something called ABUNTU,I am sure I don't have that spelled right.Anyway,he say it is nearly impossible to get a virus when using that.

#26 ·
Anyway, download the Antivir program that I linked to. Once you have it downloaded reboot the computer and you will get what they call the bios flash screen. Usually the maker of your computer is on the screen, keep pressing the f8 key and it will come up with an option to start windows normally or in safe mode with or without networking. Choose the option with networking. Go to wherever your download was saved to and install the Antivir program and let it run. Once it is installed you can try running it while in safe mode and see if it finds anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.