7 replies to this topic

#1 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• Member No: 3996
  • 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 09:47 PM

I have a 16hp rider (Model 917.270680)

The transaxle will not engage until I push it down to the notch that is about 1/2 way down.

See Pic:

I haven't attempted to check the fluid yet but was wondering if this could be a low fluid issue?

Thanks guys!!

craftsmanshifter.jpg

#2 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Is neutral still where it should be? Also, what throttle setting are we talking about?

One more, the belts on this style were known issues with slipping and weird symptoms... don't dismiss that it could be a belt problem
  • Alc and CaptianRon have said thanks

#3 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:06 PM

Is neutral still where it should be? Also, what throttle setting are we talking about?

One more, the belts on this style were known issues with slipping and weird symptoms... don't dismiss that it could be a belt problem

Yes neutral is in the right place. Full throttle is where I always operate.

I thought about the belt but it doesn't slip at all in reverse or when I have it in the notch shown in the pic or beyond. Guess I should check the tension on the belt before I start monkeying with the trasaxle.

One thing, if I'm going down a hill it freewheels faster than my set speed, once I level off the transaxle doesn't seem to re-engage until I'm nearly stopped. Not sure if that is normal since I picked this thing up used from a garage sale. It worked at low speeds when I first got it. Started acting up after several mowings.

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:37 PM

Ouch I hate to say it but If the fluid isn't extremely low,it sounds like the pump is starting to fail.

Eventually it will have full reverse and no go forward.1st sign of a failing pump is it will run away when going down hill.The pump gets worn to the point it can no longer hold the tractor back without putting it in reverse.

I just sold a JD 175 for parts,it had a failing hydrogear pump.It would barely move at all forward but it still had reverse.It was a nice mowing machine but you can't mow in reverse all of the time.lol

I guess you can rebuild the little hydro pumps?I would guess that Sears might sell a rebuild kit for them?

Yep they sell parts for it yet but $150 for just the Cylinder.

http://www.searspart...hdMod=917270680

Edited by EricFromPa, June 02, 2013 - 10:51 PM.

• MH81 and CaptianRon have said thanks

#5 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 11:03 PM

Ouch I hate to say it but If the fluid isn't extremely low,it sounds like the pump is starting to fail.

Eventually it will have full reverse and no go forward.1st sign of a failing pump is it will run away when going down hill.The pump gets worn to the point it can no longer hold the tractor back without putting it in reverse.

I just sold a JD 175 for parts,it had a failing hydrogear pump.It would barely move at all forward but it still had reverse.It was a nice mowing machine but you can't mow in reverse all of the time.lol

I guess you can rebuild the little hydro pumps?I would guess that Sears might sell a rebuild kit for them?

Yep they sell parts for it yet but $150 for just the Cylinder.

Well that stinks!!

I just recently turned down a free parts mower just like mine. Didn't want it liying around the yard. Doh!!!!!!

Hopefully it's just low on fluid.

I wonder if a different weight oil would help if the pump is failing??

Edited by CaptianRon, June 02, 2013 - 11:39 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:22 AM

OK , first off I claim to know nothing about sears transaxles , but I do have a little experince with hydrostatic drive cubs  .

I once had a 782 that wouldn't move till you moved the lever to about half speed foward , then it would snap  your head . It would back up fine . It would also free wheel going down hill till you reached level gound . Upon reaching level ground it would hesitate for a second then move normally .

I was about to condemn it to parts thinking the hydro was going out , but decided to try changing fluids and filter .

Came to find out that the hydro filter had internally collapsed and was restricting fluid flow to hydropump .

Like I said I know nothing about sears , but looking at the diagram I see a filter part #125 .

I can't tell much from the drawing , but maybe its a screen , filter , I really can't tell .

My point is before you condemn the pump , I'd check the fluid level and change the filter first .

Like I said a dirty / clogged filter will sometimes make hydros act like there going out . 

The only reason I mention this is because his symptom sound eerily similar to what I've experienced .

If I'm off base ,  I apologize .

Edited by Jlaws, June 03, 2013 - 01:22 AM.

• MH81, EricFromPa and CaptianRon have said thanks

#7 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,299 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:02 PM

It's very hard to kill an old Cub Cadet hydro.The Pickup tube was loose on my 149 and it was drawing air through it.I thought the pump was starting to fail on it until I noticed the puddle of hytran under the tractor.Tightened it up and it was good to go.

I totally agree about the filter and fluid.

I would change the filter and Fluid and see it that helps.The Fluid as listed in the manual calls for 72.8oz of 20W-50 oil.  Now for the PITA part.This is a Sealed Transaxle,meaning everything including the filter is all sealed up inside the transaxle.To change the filter you must remove the Pump.As it sits up under the main pump assembly.

It figures,Filter seems to be NLA from Sears Parts Direct  http://www.searspart...&shdPart=170397

To check and top off the fluid,there is a plug on the top of the transaxle that you should be able to get to without removing the transaxle.

Found a pic after cross referencing the part numbers of the Sears AYP HydroGear transaxle

Parts manual for your tractor is here.http://www.managemyl...NM/L0030038.pdf

Attached Thumbnails

• $T2eC16NHJIIE9qTYI2IFBRiocKYnrw~~60_57.JPG

Edited by EricFromPa, June 03, 2013 - 03:14 PM.

• MH81 and CaptianRon have said thanks

#8 CaptianRon OFFLINE  

CaptianRon

• 5 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 03:31 PM

Awesome guys!!! I'll certainly check that.