#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM

My son brought home a True Value Lawn Chief LT that is actually in pretty good shape. He delivered a new Huskavarna GT to him and he told him he could haul it away for him. It was inthe garage when he bought his new house last week. I know it is a LT but it is, as my wife said "just so darn cute". It han't been run for a long time. Battery is corroded and it has not very much oil in it. Motor turns by hand and has compression. Any one know where the engine model and serial number is on this type og Briggs?  I will look at it closer in the next few days depending on what the Dr. says about my finger tomorrow. Here are a few pictures. Roger. DSCF4318.JPG DSCF4324.JPG DSCF4328.JPG DSCF4319.JPG DSCF4330.JPG DSCF4320.JPG DSCF4332.JPG

• boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Should be on the engine shroud. Probably above the spark plug. 

• hamman said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:10 PM

It most likely is a 12 hp. That is a very common engine. It may have a low oil shutdown. Gas and oil it up and change the battery. Then try it. Watch out for mouse nests. That LT is like some of mine, they are fast and fun to just mow with. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#4 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:16 AM

Should be on the engine shroud. Probably above the spark plug.

Could be behind the air cleaner on the shroud too.
  • hamman said thank you

#5 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:41 AM

the numbers are above the spark plug.  that engine does not have a low oil shut off. 

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:13 AM

That isquite a bit newer than the one I had years ago. Yes it is a LT but I found mine to be tough beyond all reason and took mor abuse than anoyone should have put it through. I made chains for it and loaded it down with 200 lbs of lead and pushed snow with it for 3 yrs.

Not to mention haulling and spreading  18 truckloads of wood chips.

• hamman said thank you

#7 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 06:43 PM

Haven't had a chance to look at it today been at Dr. for a 1/4 of the day. Talked to a longtime TV employee locally and he said that it was probably sold here in town. I am going to talk to the owner of the TV to see if they may have some NOS patrs etc.. It's a long shot but what the heck. More when i can work on it some more. Thanks. Roger.

#8 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Had a little time before the rain came today to look at the engine. Briggs & Stratton 12hp (28ci) model# 283707  Type# 0217-01 Code# 91091731..Manufacture date 09/17/91 for motor. Believe it was sold at the local True Value Hdwr. here in town In April 1992, near as I can figure by talking to a long time (25yrs) employee. He believes he remembers the person who bought it back then. It does have some oil in it but it looks like it has a crankcase leak due to lots of oil on the frame and bottom of the motor. Charging the battery (if it will take one) put some oil in and will see later if it will start. Roger.

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:18 PM

MTD doesn't have a wiring diagram for this. I would like to find a diagram because I think I have a switch problem. It turns to the run / light position ok but when I turn it it to start it doesn't return to run position without help. I can't find a part number for the switch so I will be looking for a replacement that I know will work. If anyone possibly has a diagram I would really appreciate it. Thanks. Roger.

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:10 AM

The oil leak is often the crankcase breather malfunctioning or the crankshaft seal on the bottom. You should be able to get a new switch at NAPA for under $10. It must be the correct type. where "off" grounds the ignition. I may have a wiring diagram but I can't get there until the weekend. I'll try then.

These old machines are fun but can try your patience. I rebuilt an engine for a friend and installed it in his 20 year old MTD last fall. It sat all winter but started right up. While I was in LA for a month it gave him some trouble(sounds like a mouse nest). He went out and bought a new Ariens and is giving me the MTD. He is my best friend and I feel bad about his fianancial loss. If he had given me the opportunity to just fix the little problem it would have saved him a bunch of money. Please be patient. Good Luck, Rick

• hamman said thank you

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks boyscout862 I appreciate it. Roger.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,788 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:50 PM

Thanks boyscout862 I appreciate it. Roger.

You are welcome. Remember, we are all in this together. Good Luck, Rick
  • hamman said thank you

#13 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 04:18 PM

Took some time today and put a battery in it and added some Seafom to the gas tank. Put some gas in the carb and jumped the solenoid and it started right up! Ignition switch doesn't work in the start position. It will however run in the run position. It shuts the engine off ok. I added some oil and we are going to try to run it a little tonight. I wnt to see if it mowes and runs before I go into it much more. Have to fix a leak from a screw in the right rear tire and a nail in the left front tire. Once I get it running to where I can trust it I will clean it up good and post somemore pictures. Air filter looked ok so I think it will live. Thanks. Roger.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#14 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Put a new battery in jumped the solenoid and it started right up. I made a wire harness for the start button and put it oin the solenoid and mounted the pushbutton switch on the dash.DSCF4343.JPG DSCF4340.JPG Used the little powerwasher and gave it a good bath. Put a light coat of wax on it and it really looks good. DSCF4335.JPG DSCF4339.JPG DSCF4345.JPG DSCF4338.JPG DSCF4344.JPG Have to plug the tires that leak and get a new mower belt and make a missing belt stop and it will be good to go. It starts well, sounds good and mowes great. Keeps throwing the mower belt.  Will have to see where it is leaking and why. Thanks for looking.Roger.