Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How do you clean up your leaves around the property?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 12:08 PM

Early on I just mulch them with the mower, but you'd have gotten a chuckle earlier this week, I was out in the dark [where I usually am anyway:rolleyes:] shortly after 6am Tues raking the driveway and front down to the street. The city makes one pass around the neighborhoods to pick up leaves that would otherwise plug the storm drains. So we are allowed to move "our" leaves to the curb where the city windrows them and picks up the windrows with their loader mounted snow blower into the city trucks and hauls them to their HUGE mulch pile and Tuesday was the day for our street......
Peter

So you like raking in the dark? Did ya get all of em?

#17 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 04, 2010 - 12:46 PM

Heck no, but any the city hauls is less I gotta haul,:thumbs: funny thing is we have NO trees in our front door yard, but I'd swear we end up with more of our neighbors' leaves than they all do......:wtf:

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:22 PM

I know they make two stroke powered backpack leaf blowers but do they make a backpack vacuum shredder? Would be perfect for cleaning up the leaves around the pool area.

We were out today and stacked the firewood we had loaded on the trailer and then I put the blower head on the weed trimmer and started blowing leaves into piles. I got one pile outside the pool fence done and tried to start on the pool area inside the fence and what a pain in the arse.

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:46 PM

You could shop-vac them & carry them all 5 gal @ a time. :D

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:53 PM

This is what I use :thumbs:

leaf pickup 008.jpg

#21 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 08:59 PM

I'll be back later with some pics...

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 06, 2010 - 09:55 PM

This is what I use :thumbs:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6869[/ATTACH]

Brian,
Does the lawn sweeper work pretty good? I thought about one for the yard but it still doesn't solve the dilemma for the pool area.

#23 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:01 AM

Brian,
Does the lawn sweeper work pretty good? I thought about one for the yard but it still doesn't solve the dilemma for the pool area.

Yeah, There is an adjustment for how low you want the sweeper to go and if I set it on low it Picks up 98% of the leaves.
The only problem is it fills up pretty quick.... It is still alot better than raking LOL

#24 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:26 AM

Yeah, There is an adjustment for how low you want the sweeper to go and if I set it on low it Picks up 98% of the leaves.
The only problem is it fills up pretty quick.... It is still alot better than raking LOL

Might have to see about going out and getting one of these. I hate raking and the blower gets annoying.

#25 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:34 AM

The best part is you get seat time! :dancingbanana:

#26 DGS345 OFFLINE  

DGS345

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 513
  • 16 Thanks
  • 348 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:42 AM

Yea I use the lawn sweeper also, and i dump most of the leaves into the garden then till them in and they are gone by spring

#27 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:08 PM

Yea I use the lawn sweeper also, and i dump most of the leaves into the garden then till them in and they are gone by spring

George - I'm with DGS345. Do you have a garden you can till the leaves into? You could, also, see if you can find one of those walk behind chipper/shredder like mower vacs? I see used units show up on craigslist in my area every now and then.
troybilt-chippervac.jpg

I don't get that many leaves on my lawn so I just mow mine up and it works out pretty well for me.

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:23 PM

Well this year I think we are just raking them to the road for the township to clean up. What we don't get out to the road in time will go in the garden. We will have to resort to the highly sophisticated self propelled power rake 2000 this year. :D

#29 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 148 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted February 20, 2011 - 04:56 PM

I purchased the mulching kit for my X500 last fall and you never know there was a leave on the ground when I am finished going over them. No more raking and collecting for me!

#30 RustyTub OFFLINE  

RustyTub

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2702
  • 25 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted April 14, 2011 - 02:00 PM

Posted Image
(Dont Mind the muddy mess, start of my new lawn)

I use the fire method although when the oaks drop there leaves I can fill the back of my truck 3 times a week for about a month straight. Luckily here in the next few monthes when the madrone drops their leaves it is no where near as bad.

I Use a sthil back pack blower for tight spots and around the house. Then use my snapper with just the side discharge, and get them into a massive straight line then a rake and the front loader on the kubota to get into the back of the truck and then to the fire.

I set my mower decl all the way up and run down the driveways (I have two an entrance and exit total length about 3/4 mile) and use the side discharge again to get them off the mowed edges of the driveway.

All in All I spend the entire day dealing with leaves, I tried a vac shredder and was always dumping it out. same with the lawn sweeper. so far this see. like the best way for me so far.

I have thought about modifing a GT trailer into a larger hopper and making the trailer be catch all for the mower deck??? Still have all of thinking about this one.