tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 12:46 PM

I have been borrowing my friend's Lincoln 110v mig for a while now. He finally asked for it back, so, I started looking for my own mig.
I found one on ebay that no one was really bidding on and it was only about an hour or so away, up in PA. I figured that I would get outbid, because it was a fairly big machine and my budget was small.
Put in an E snipe bid, checked the next day and *BAM* I won !:D
It's a Milermatic 35 220v mig, and it comes with a large co2/argon tank. The only thing that seems to be missing is the regulator. It looks to be in great condition for an older welder.
I am going to pick it up this weekend, I think.

Attached Thumbnails

• millermatic 35.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2010 - 01:17 PM

I have been borrowing my friend's Lincoln 110v mig for a while now. He finally asked for it back, so, I started looking for my own mig.
I found one on ebay that no one was really bidding on and it was only about an hour or so away, up in PA. I figured that I would get outbid, because it was a fairly big machine and my budget was small.
Put in an E snipe bid, checked the next day and *BAM* I won !:D
It's a Milermatic 35 220v mig, and it comes with a large co2/argon tank. The only thing that seems to be missing is the regulator. It looks to be in great condition for an older welder.
I am going to pick it up this weekend, I think.

Dam, that is an excellent steal. Miller's are one of the best there is. Congrats on the new toy :D :thumbs:

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 21, 2010 - 08:32 PM

I was supposed to pick up my welder this morning, up in PA. The seller called me first thing and said that his jeep was stuck in the snow and mud outside his shop. He said that I probably would not be able to make it in with my 2wd truck to get it.
I was kinda bummed, I want to see it sitting in my garage and start getting it set up. I just hope he is not jerking me around..... I did not want to drive 1.75 hours up there, just to find out I couldn't get to it!
I shoot for next weekend.

#4 fordmustang1984 OFFLINE  

fordmustang1984

Tractorholic

• Member No: 27
  • 23 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted February 22, 2010 - 10:53 PM

Nice score! :smile1: All the good welders in the shop at school are Millers, so you should be very pleased.

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 11:02 AM

Todd....any idea as to new pickup date?

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 01:12 PM

I don't think the guy is jerking your chain, it is pretty darn sloppy around here. I am anxious to see ya get it set up and post some pics of some welds that ya did with it, hint hint. :D

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 01:48 PM

Todd....any idea as to new pickup date?

I was going to try for this weekend, but now I hear that PA is supposed to get another foot or two of snow. This weather is just not cooperating.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 24, 2010 - 01:55 PM

If I had a truck I would pick it up for you and meet ya part way or something but I don't think my f100 would be up to the task.

#9 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 09:34 AM

Todd, you won't be disappointed with the miller,they are great.I have a millermatic 251.

#10 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 07:30 PM

I got on the road early this morning and picked up my welder. The seller wasn't lying, his driveway was really steep and muddy. There is no way I could have made it to his shop behind the house.
It took three guys to pick this thing up and load it in the back of my truck.... It's a monster. The tank he gave me is huge as well. Size K or DOT 3AA2400.
I hooked the tank up to my regulator and turned the valve on the tank and got a reading of 2000 psi. He told me it was an empty Argon tank, but with a reading of 2000 psi, I think it's fairly full? I'm not sure what a normal psi would be?
Now I need to trade it for a Ar/Co2 mix cylinder. I hope my local gas place will help me out?

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2397..jpg
  • DSCN2396..jpg

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 07:37 PM

Just because the tank has good pressure doesn't mean it has much gas in it. To tell how full a bottle is, you have to go by weight. At least that is how they fill propane and I am pretty sure that is how they fill argon etc...

It is awesome that ya got it home, I am sure that thing will weld like a champ :thumbs:

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted February 28, 2010 - 08:29 PM

Some places won't swap out tanks. Scott/Gross will if you prove ownership. Small tanks they swap without question. With 2000psi, it's definitely not empty, that's a full pressure reading, but as said, doesn't mean it is full. Once the psi starts dropping, usually it goes fairly fast. You can weld steel with argon just fine with TIG.

#13 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 01, 2010 - 10:43 PM

I've been looking at mig welders on craigslist, just can't seem to get to them before so one snatches them up, I get one thought.

#14 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 01:27 PM

Some places won't swap out tanks. Scott/Gross will if you prove ownership. Small tanks they swap without question. With 2000psi, it's definitely not empty, that's a full pressure reading, but as said, doesn't mean it is full. Once the psi starts dropping, usually it goes fairly fast. You can weld steel with argon just fine with TIG.

Argon with steel and TIG work okay? What about Argon with steel and MIG? Maybe I should try it, before trading it in?

#15 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 02, 2010 - 02:04 PM

I use straight argon on aluminum,but never tried it on steel.Argon/ Co2 mix works best on steel , at least that's my view on it.