Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 11:46 PM

We have a small garden at the house, due mainly to our postage-stamp-sized yard, which is already dominated by a 2 1/2 car garage, (and about 8 GTs in various stages of operation). It's about 10 wide by 30 feet long... enough room to grow some great tomatoes, and a few cucumbers and peppers.

However, it's hard to get back to due to running interference with 2 peach trees and an oversize compost pile.

Some people in our church let us use some property they have for a garden... an added plus is it has piped-in irrigation water (a major plus in the bone-dry West), and the price was right.... free.

A lot of it is in pasture, so I plowed it up last fall...I've covered that little episode elsewhere here on GT Talk.

I have never grown potatoes, but really wanted to try it this year. We love potatoes in all their various forms--baked (of course!!!), fried, in soups, Galloping (Scalloped)--this is the name we gave them when we were kids, and potato salad, etc.

I also wanted to have enough to store, since we've stored winter squash in a cool part of our basement and they've done well.

The land-owner disked up the spot for me with his compact tractor, but I needed a way to create furrows so I could plant the spuds in evenly spaced rows to make watering easier.  I also didn't want to dig them all up with a shovel this fall, so I had to figure out a way to try and do it with a tractor.

I went to one of my favorite sites--You Tube, and watched how others planted and harvested potatoes. I found several helpful videos... if I can figure how to post them on the forum I'll do so...

Those that were done with a tractor used an attachment to furrow the ground, and planted the potatoes in the tops of the furrows.  When the plants started coming in, they used a couple of angled disks on a vertical post to throw dirt up around the base of the plants. Then, at harvest time, they used a middle buster plow with a big wide furrowing blade to get under the potatoes and bring them to the surface.

I figured, "Why can't I do that with my GT?"

I have a White GT1650, which sits pretty high off the ground due to its 15 inch rear wheels... now I just needed the furrower/hiller/digger...

Here's what I decided to do:

I took a piece of 2" square tubing and cut it to just a bit wider than the outside edges of the rear tires.  I then welded some pieces of 2" x 3" angle on it for the lower pins on my 3-point hitch. I drilled a 5/8" hole through them, and cut the threads off a couple 5/8" diameter grade 5 bolts, then drilled a 1/8" hole crossways for the hairpin clips.

I welded another piece of the same angle vertically and put a couple 11/16" holes in it for the top link.

This is the result:

Furrower 1.jpg

I had the remains of an old Montgomery Ward walk-behind tractor that had two cultivator shanks on it, I figured those would make decent furrowers--I just needed to figure out how to attach them.

I next cut two pieces of 1/4" plate approx 4" x 5", and drilled 8) 3/8" holes in them.  I used two 2" x 5/16" square U-bolts to attach the plate to the square tube, and put two 1 1/4 x 5/16" round U-bolts on each plate to clamp the cultivator shank to it.

The U-bolts were a little big for the 1" diameter cultivator shanks, and I was worried they wouldn't grip tight enough to keep the shanks from turning. so I squoze them together using my vise.  To prevent making them into X-shaped pieces, I ran a nut down on each threads, then put the slotted cross plate over that, and ran one more nut down loosely on top to keep it from slipping off the bolt.  I tightened the vise jaws against the unthreaded part of the bolt at  the closed end, like this:

RESIZING U_BOLTS.jpg

After mounting the cultivator shanks to the bar,  I ended up with this:

Furrower 3.jpg    Furrower 2.jpg

I took it out to the garden spot, and tried it out.

The cultivator blades didn't work as well as I thought they would, but they did make a small furrow in the ground.  I made successive furrows by putting the right hand tires in the left hand furrow, and moved to the left after each pass.

We then planted potatoes in the furrows and covered them over with a hoe and rake:

Planting Potatoes 2.jpg

I realized that I needed a furrowing blade to make bigger furrows, and also some discs that I could angle so they would throw dirt up around the base of the plants when they started to grow--just like I had seen in the videos.

I finally found what I think is the solution, but I will put that in another post.

Hope this was helpful,

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 02, 2013 - 12:07 AM.

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 11:51 PM

Smitty,
Very nice build and a great way to attach the tools.
You're gonna enjoy the spuds!
  • hamman and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#3 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 12:09 AM

How's your move going? 

I hate moving... we moved 20 times in the first 20 years of marriage due to going to school, military service, etc.  We've been here in this home for 19+ years... that's probably why I've accumulated so much--I haven't got rid of a lot of it like I normally do during a move!!

Smitty

• hamman said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Nice tool bar, Smitty! One thing I would do is add another angle iron piece where the lower arms bolt on for a little extra strength.

If your last post was directed at me, as well as can be expected. I'll finish today and be off line for a while. I'll be back though!

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 05:39 AM

Nice build Smitty. I love potatoes as well. When they are new I like to harvest a few and steam them. The flavour when they come right out of the ground like that is a real treat for me. That's a nice looking garden. I wish I had a space like that. I have a couple of acres but it's mostly wooded and rocky.  Thanks for posting the detailed build! 

• hamman and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 09:55 AM

Nice tool bar, Smitty! One thing I would do is add another angle iron piece where the lower arms bolt on for a little extra strength.

If your last post was directed at me, as well as can be expected. I'll finish today and be off line for a while. I'll be back though!

You're right I was confused about who was moving...

In what way would you add additional angle where the lower arms bolt on?

US

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Nice build Smitty. I love potatoes as well. When they are new I like to harvest a few and steam them. The flavour when they come right out of the ground like that is a real treat for me. That's a nice looking garden. I wish I had a space like that. I have a couple of acres but it's mostly wooded and rocky.  Thanks for posting the detailed build! 

You're right, steamed new potatoes are great!

Most people don't understand the nutrition in a potato.  A medium-sized baked potato has about half the daily recommended dose of Vitamin C in it, plus other important vitamins and minerals. Boiling potatoes takes away a lot of the Vitamin C since it's a water-soluble vitamin.  When we boil potatoes, we try to save the water and use it for baking bread, or in stews, etc.

Smitty

• Alc and JDBrian have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Looks good Smitty!!  I'll have pictures of mine once I redo the clamps. My U Bolt idea did not work, my shanks turned?

I've said it many times, My favorite Garden Plant is the potato. I simply like growing them!!  I have Kennebeck, Russet, Yukon Gold, Mountain Rose, Purple Majesty, and Colorado Pearls this year.  All but the last 3 are ready to hill( They were planted several weeks later), so I have to get on the clamps this week. The last 3 just broke the surface this weekend.

I'll try to get picture when I hill the first rows.

Incidently the White 1650 is one of the lesser known GT's(less popular?)  that is on my want list.

Mainly due to the 15" wheels and extra ground clearance. Plus the bigger tires don't drop in every hole and beat you as much.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 03, 2013 - 01:50 PM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 04:56 AM

Looks good Smitty!!  I'll have pictures of mine once I redo the clamps. My U Bolt idea did not work, my shanks turned?

I've said it many times, My favorite Garden Plant is the potato. I simply like growing them!!  I have Kennebeck, Russet, Yukon Gold, Mountain Rose, Purple Majesty, and Colorado Pearls this year.  All but the last 3 are ready to hill( They were planted several weeks later), so I have to get on the clamps this week. The last 3 just broke the surface this weekend.

I'll try to get picture when I hill the first rows.

Incidently the White 1650 is one of the lesser known GT's(less popular?)  that is on my want list.
Mainly due to the 15" wheels and extra ground clearance. Plus the bigger tires don't drop in every hole and beat you as much.

I've heard of the first 3 potatoes you mention, but not the last 3. Where did you get them??

I haven't tried the hiller discs, yet. I'm hoping the shanks don't spin on my tool bar, but we'll see.

Smitty

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:33 AM

The last 3 varieties I picked up at the Earl May Garden Center here in Newton.  It was kind of a whimsical purchase the wife wanted when I went out to buy my Garden Way seeder.  I was wrong on the name of the Pearls, instead of Colorado they are Dakota Pearls(checked the label last night).  I Try to try a few new things every year.  I grew some of the Purple Majesty last year. It was worth it just to see the look on my 16 yr old Grandsons face when the wife set a plate of purple fried potatoes in front of him!! He took one bite and said well they taste like potatoes.

The one thing I have not got this year is Red Pontiac and I particularly like them as fryers. I may  try to find 5 lbs and put them in as a late crop yet.

I'm sure I've told this before. But many years ago I was in a greenhouse and was complaining that I never seemed able to get my potatoes in on Good Friday. The Greenhouse owner said, he planted a few on Good Friday. But always planted his big crop of potatoes on or around June 10th.

Earl May and Henry Field, were both pioneers in the mail order seed business. They were both in Shenandoah, Ia and both seed companies owned Radio Stations. It was at one of those Radio Stations that the Everly Brothers got their start, since their father was an anouncer on that station.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 04, 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,456 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hope you don't mine me asking in this thread but do some potatoes take longer to sprout up then others ? Planted 2lbs of different potatoes most have come up but  planted at the same time  4 lbs of Yukon Gold and not ONE sprouted ?  Maybe I should contact the farm store I got them all from ?

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hope you don't mine me asking in this thread but do some potatoes take longer to sprout up then others ? Planted 2lbs of different potatoes most have come up but  planted at the same time  4 lbs of Yukon Gold and not ONE sprouted ?  Maybe I should contact the farm store I got them all from ?

Yes Al some do take longer than others. But the Yukon Gold should not be more than a week later than others I know the Mountain Rose, planted the same day as the other 2 seems to be about a week behind the others. The ground temp needs to be around 50 degrees, and wet weather can effect that too. I have had seed potatoes rot if the ground is too cold and wet.

The last ones, I planted the week of mothers day and it has rained ever since. They finally came up last weekend.

You might want to dig a couple up and see if they are growing?  Done carefully you could replant them.

If they are not growing, the Farm Store should stand behind them and replace your seed.  t's not too late to repant.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 04, 2013 - 11:03 AM.

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well, I finished up the second part of the garden a few days ago.  We wanted to plant a few more potatoes--mainly Yukon Golds, and several varieties of squash.

The ground had gotten kind of hard, so I tilled it up again, then furrowed it. 

DAYTON & TILLED GARDEN 2.jpg DAYTON GT 1.jpg

I had ordered furrowing shovels from Agri-Supply Co., and they came in.  I attached them to some old cultivator shanks off of a David Bradley Cultivator I have, and mounted them on my tool bar.

They did a better job of creating actual furrows in the ground.

STEVE & WHITE 1650 FURROWING 2.jpg   STEVE & WHITE 1650 FURROWING 5.jpg

WHITE 1650 & FURROWED GARDEN 1 COMP.jpg

Now that the potatoes are coming up good--we're just waiting for the second wave of potatoes and squash.

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, June 04, 2013 - 10:40 PM.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:51 PM

That looks great Smitty.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:34 PM

Looking good US, glad you got some seat time.

The Dayton and White look right smart out there and appear to be doing one heck of a job.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tilling, cultivating, plow, furrower, potato, garden