• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:25 AM

I purchased the Preen for the garden this year. So far, we have almost no grass coming up, so I have not used the Preen.

In the 1970's I worked on a farm where we used Preen (Treflan) on over 1000 acres of soybeans to control Johnson grass and other weeds.

I learned a lot putting down that much of that chemical.

1) if you miss a spot, expect grass to grow there - we were spraying it as a liquid and overspray did not move the control area very far - so, put the Preen where you want control.

2) double tilling is a MUST! The control ranges from 0% to 50% if you single till in the product. I can not understand how the product knows if it was single tilled!! 

I put the chemical down, and disked it in. Double-disking 1000 acres is a LOT of disking, even using a 22 foot wide disk!!

My brother-in-law was on me like scum on a pond every time he saw a spot I had missed!!  :hitting_self_roller:

#17 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:33 AM

The city has a mulch pile, could someone give me instructions on how to "mulch my garden"?

#18 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 07:41 AM

The city has a mulch pile, could someone give me instructions on how to "mulch my garden"?

How about pics instead of instructions?

DSC_00111024x681.jpg

DSC_00141024x530.jpg

DSC_00151024x549.jpg

peas_zps220d438a.jpg

lettuceMay30_zps0f025f6e.jpg

• backwoods said thank you

#19 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Everyone tells me not to mulch with hay as it has seed.  Oh well, fresh sprouted grass in loose mulch pulls easily.  So....  I till, plant and leave plenty of room between my rows.  As the veggies come up, I till between the rows, lay down newspaper or cardboard, wet it down and pile on the hay.  Throughout the summer, there is some weeding around the plants, but the bigger things get, the less weeds grow.  If I spot grass growing up out of my mulch hay, I pull it up and drop it back down with roots exposed.  Sure is a lot less weeding than not using hay for mulch.  The mulch makes for little watering too, and adds lots of orgasnics to the soil the following year.

Look up Ruth Stout.  She gardened for years with no plowing or tilling, just used hay and leaves and stuff to keep a thick bed of mulch.  She wrote books on this and went around speaking about her methods for years.

#20 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:13 AM

Don't use hay use straw instead, very few seeds, and its cheaper. As far as mulching, I use the Tator fork and load I the woodchips into the wheel barrow, and dump in between the plants as needed.

I can get all the wood chips I want, the city will dump them in my yard for free. They used to dump them on some ground they own outside town, but with all the wild fires we have, they were ordered to stop that, so they are happy when somebody wants them.

Word of warning wood chips from the city can contain any type of wood, some good and some bad. And it can take 3 or 4 years for them to break down. My pile is about 4 years old nw, and the chips at the bottom are just perfect, when I let the chickens out in the winter months they do a good job spreading them around.

#21 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:45 AM

Heres a video of me making mulch.

• Alc and Craig. have said thanks

#22 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I always plow in cold weather so it will kill the seed which is dormant. Whenever it comes to planting the garden I plow then till and plant. This year I have had a few big weeds get in the garden but no grass. Regardless I have to treat my garden with 20-20-20 because the soil where I live is so nutrient poor.

In the past I used leafs (which I no longer have) to throw in the garden (for compost) and it kept the grass knocked down.

• Alc said thank you

#23 Jordan9682 OFFLINE  

Jordan9682
  • Member No: 31931
  • 71 Thanks
  • 137 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Last year i made my garden the size it is now (abot 3x the size it used to be) and I tilled the grass twice then what came through right away after I sprayed with round up. I wouldn't wait 3 weeks to plant after spraying, all you would need to wait is a few days. I have some grass coming through now this year that I will have to take the hoe to. Looking back on it, I would have sprayed the grass off, waited about a week(until its all dead) the rototilled
  • Alc said thank you

#24 Craig. OFFLINE  

Craig.

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 883 Thanks
  • 765 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 12:03 AM

The advice given me b4 I started my gardening, was this and it has worked well for me. Right b4 winter sets in till ur garden then fertilize and Preen it. Then next year after all the plants have sprouted Preen it again. Do this without fail for 3 years and u won't have a problem with grass or weeds after that sept for the occasional bird dropping, which won't be a problem. I've now had my garden for now 5yrs, and it seems he was right. I still Preen and fertilize my garden b4 winter sets in, but that's it. With my 12hr work days and 1.5hr drive to work one way 3hrs a day driving back an forth there is no time to spend on my garden during my work week, I was vary grateful for the advice that was given me. The only thing he said to me I didn't question was at the beginning of
his advice he said " because of where you live " leaving me to believe he would of done it differently had he lived else where. He's now retired and I don't have his # so I can't clarify now. I live as far north in Indiana as you can go without stepping into Michigan. I hope this can help you.
  • Alc said thank you

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:18 AM

I mulch mine, controls weeds & holds moisture (not a problem so far this year).  

attachicon.gifHPIM2089 - Copy.JPG

I use "aged" sawdust, since it's readily available to me, but newspapers, grass clippings (from herbicide free yard), straw, etc. will work.  Some even use black plastic (don't use clear, as it will break up in the sunlight).

attachicon.gifHPIM0820 - Copy.JPG

Lowell

Where do you get your sawdust? sawmill or factory? What kind of wood?

#26 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 09:33 AM

That is a good question. Walnut seems to be a real problem with gardens. My dad had several Walnut trees in his yard and could not get a garden to grow. He eventually abandoned that and built a raised bed with soil from another location and does well with his tomatoes and Peppes.

#27 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 10:00 AM

That is a good question. Walnut seems to be a real problem with gardens. My dad had several Walnut trees in his yard and could not get a garden to grow. He eventually abandoned that and built a raised bed with soil from another location and does well with his tomatoes and Peppes.

Here is an good read about the walnut tree issue: http://www.gardensal...icle.asp?ai=466

#28 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 10:40 AM

Black walnut has a chemical in it that will hurt your garden.

#29 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 11:23 AM

Black walnut has a chemical in it that will hurt your garden.

and turn your hands black  :smilewink:

I say a lot of tilling/cultivating or pulling. If you can til it under, do like other say, put down some type of ground cover that would prevent growth, newspaper is cheap and eventually disenegrates, mulch works too

#30 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 11:57 AM

I use Cottonwood sawdust from an Amish sawmill about 12 miles from home.  Old source was an AMish pallet plant, I've used it for 25+ years on this property!  ~~  Lowell