30 replies to this topic

#1 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:30 PM

Ok, my garden so far this year was doing good until the grass started coming back an steeling all the nutrients. I don't know what to do, I am trying to keep up with just picking it but there is so much! I've heard that vinegar might kill it without hurting the plants, is that true? I am going to try spraying a bit of roundup inbetween the rows to see if that will kill the grass but not the plants. Is there something I can do in the off season to help keep the grass from growing back? Is a ditch around the garden really helpful or maybe a cheap landscaping rail around the garden helpful? Thanks for y'all's help, and looking forward to replies!
  • hamman said thank you

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Even a miniscule amount of roundup will kill your garden plants, so I wouldn't try that unless you can completely cover your veggies before spraying. You have a tiller?    As far as after the garden is done, you could sow winter wheat as a cover crop.  It will help keep other weeds/grass down, plus hold your soil.  Simply spray it or plow it under in the spring.

• hamman said thank you

#3 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Put the Roundup on with a paint roller, spray will drift.

• Alc and hamman have said thanks

#4 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,575 Thanks
  • 917 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:52 PM

As Santa says,,,, Hoe, Hoe, Hoe

• hamman, JDBrian and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#5 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Till it if possible.  Spray will drift and kill your desired plants. If you don't want to keep tilling, you could try putting down some sort of cover material.  Any sort of mulching material will work well.  Is part of the problem that you have a running type of grass that is getting in from the lawn around the garden?  Your best bet there is still the tilling.

• hamman said thank you

#6 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Roundup when there is absolutely no wind at all. It will kill your veggies. use a tiller or a cultivator ( hand driven) to get all the grass out. A guy I used to work with would roundup his entire garden five weeks before tilling and then till it and round up again 3 weeks before planting. You need to water the roundup he said so it will be gone a week before you plant. I never tried it. to afraid I would ruin my garden. We just take and till and cultivate it all summer long. Wife will have to do most of it this summer. Good luck. Roger.

#7 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 925 Thanks
  • 1,216 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:28 PM

I use the tiller one or two times a week and as Traill95 said Hoe Hoe Hoe.

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Tiller, roundup a couple/3 weeks before planting, small tiller thru the growing season.
I have some plastic, but that can cause problems in high wind areas.
I have heard straw or cardboard and just till it in next year but have never tried it.

#9 bigcountry48 OFFLINE  

bigcountry48
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10316
  • 101 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:46 PM

@ howardsmf155 yes it is running in from the yard and I can't seem to stop it, thanks all for the advice, and I guess I'll try and keep after it with a tiller and a hoe.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#10 CADplans OFFLINE  

CADplans
  • Member No: 35311
  • 219 Thanks
  • 213 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Smother the grass with

hay9_zps702ced3a.jpg

#11 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,396 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 05:22 AM

I mulch mine, controls weeds & holds moisture (not a problem so far this year).  

HPIM2089 - Copy.JPG

I use "aged" sawdust, since it's readily available to me, but newspapers, grass clippings (from herbicide free yard), straw, etc. will work.  Some even use black plastic (don't use clear, as it will break up in the sunlight).

HPIM0820 - Copy.JPG

Lowell

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 05:54 AM

I have grass problems too and I don't even have a lawn. It comes in by bird droppings or seeds blown in from neighbours yards. I just keep yanking it out and tilling it in. I haven't resorted to chemicals near the gardens but I have a small garden so it is manageable without them. 

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:33 AM

@ howardsmf155 yes it is running in from the yard and I can't seem to stop it, thanks all for the advice, and I guess I'll try and keep after it with a tiller and a hoe.

I looked at your location and happened to think about that.  Yes, I think your best bet is to establish a zone around your garden where you till on a regular basis.

• Alc said thank you

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:35 AM

The way I do it is, till if possible, but don't till to deep, you don't want to destroy the roots your plants have put out. And use Preen in between the rows. Grass comes from 2 sources, either comes up from a root or seed. If from the root about the only way to kill it, is to till it under. I use the TB Horse between the rows and the little mini tiller between plants, like cabbage and squash. After the plants have come up from seed, I use Preen in between the rows to stop the weed and grass seed from germinating. Things like Morning Glory and Pigweed I pull those up, it's much better to do this while the soil is wet, so you get as much root as you can.

Another thing I do is to bag my grass and pile it in between the rows, I will pile it over a foot deep, and let it break down. You want to do this before the grass goes to seed. I also use roundup around the edges to keep the grass from creeping back in. Now my onion and tomato beds, I get down on my hands and knees and weed them, then the tomato bed I mulch it with wood chips I get from the city.

I will till several times during the year just to turn the grass under, grass and weeds need sunshine to keep growing, so by turning it under you can kill it off. It has taken me several years to kill off all the grass in my garden.

The name of the game to keep after it, this year has been hard because it rains every week.
  • bigcountry48 said thank you

#15 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:42 AM

Oh, I'd say; stop throwing your roaches there!!! Sound about right? :rocker2: