Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Sunstrand Hydro- What Type Of Hydraulic Filter Are You Using?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:25 PM

This question is for my Bush Hog HD-12 but it would go for any of the GT's with this type of transaxle. The question was asked to me if I new whether to use a filter with out a valve or with a valve.....seems like there are different opinions on this. Also if you are using one without a valve what type and model is it?? I read a little bit on it, but by no means completely understand the reasoning either way so interested to see what type of feed back you can give me. from what I can tell....easy to find them with the valve......hard to find them without a valve.

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 08:18 PM

It mostly depends on what type system you have.  Many just have a screen on the intake & filter on the return side.  With these, one with a relief valve in the filter would be fine with me.  Others filter on the suction before the charge pump.  On these I would rather have a filter without a relief valve to prevent contaminants from going through once the filter reached relief pop off stage.  I'm not 100% certain, without looking at the schematics for the system on the HD-12 & JB series Bush Hog tractors, but I'm almost certain they filter on the return side, and I know they have a fine mesh steel filter screen on their suction end.  Some Wheel Horse with Sundtrand Hydrogear systems like the Bush Hogs also filter on the return side, while the Allis 620/720 Sundstrand 15 filter on the suction side.

• sacsr said thank you