• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:03 PM

If you have a meter I would just disconnect the large cable either @ the starter or where it connects at the solenoid. then you can safely test things with out the engine cranking over. The small (ign) wire on the solenoid should only have 12 volts with the key held in start position.

If wiring looks ok, then it is either the solenoid is stuck in the closed position or something happened inside the ignition switch.

#17 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:07 PM

I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks!

#18 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:08 PM

What's weird is earlier in the day, it worked fine with the key switch. I then pressed the brake down and held it down with a clamp so I can work on the carb while turning the key.  I went to turn it off and it kept running.

You think maybe that pedal being pressed down has something to do with it? The solenoid looks stock and normal.

I don't think the pedal would cause that, cause if anything it would just have a safety switch on it and it only completes the starter circuit. It sounds like the ignition switch may have gone bad.

#19 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:28 PM

Darn, just like that it went. We'll I'll find out tomorrow I hope. One thing already I don't like is the battery placement on this thing. Under the seat is a pain because now I have to buy a battery. The Case 444 got my smallest battery...

But looking forward to getting this running. I found that I don't have spark, but getting voltage to the SP. What is the toggle switch next to the key switch, looks stock. I would assume a kill switch?

#20 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 09:36 PM

It is possible the switch fried, maybe it had moisture in it or maybe someone wired something wrong?

I am not familiar with the CC's but I don't know why they would have a separate kill switch?

Is this a Kohler? and if so is it a Battery ignition, coil on outside with points?

#21 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Is a Kohler. I'll snap more photos.

• chris m said thank you

#22 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:53 PM

Sometimes the contacts in the voltage regulator stick closed and will cause the starter generator to turn over even with the Ignition switch in the off position . .

I'd check to see if any of the contacts in the S/G are stuck closed . Also the starter solnoid could be stuck closed  .

#23 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Camera is charging, but I gave the VR a light tap & everything is back to normal. I have to adjust the points as I have a faint spark, but so far so good. Hope to get her running today!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#24 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 11:59 AM

Peter, I would pull the cover off the VR and clean the points, they maybe burnt and that is why they stuck. Also make sure there isn't anything to cause them to stick, trash, cob webs and such.

#25 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 12:38 PM

I will do that, thank you for the advise. 

AND we have ignition! She fired right up once I replaced the SP and cleaned the points. With no fuel tank on her, she ran fine for a minutes or so before I turned her off. 

I am going to need some more spark plugs! 

I also found that this has been repainted a few times. I had a hard time finding the serial number, then after scraping away some paint, I found the tag which looked like new.

S# 205004-2U402196 which means my serial number is 402916

Now looking at this

http://www.ihcubcade...LE WORKS SN.htm

That tells me that she was built in Sept/Oct of 1971. That is cool.

#26 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted June 09, 2013 - 08:05 PM

Titus , I kind of suspected that the voltage regulator contacts were sticking as I've had that issue in the past . I bought an old cub and as soon as I started to hook up a good battery the engine started to turn over ...

A few taps on the voltage regulator cover with a screw driver stop it from turning over . Ran some fine sandpaper thru the contacts and it was good as new.

Glad to here you got her running . Congrats ...

Edited by Jlaws, June 09, 2013 - 08:09 PM.

#27 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 06:04 PM

Had a few minutes today before going to the fire station and tossed the smallest battery I had in it. With a tiny bit of fuel, I had her running, she was puffing some oil at 1st, but then that cleared up, going to put her through all the gears, but so far so good. The choke cable is frozen, but the pto and mowing deck work like a charm. It stalled out next to the case in the back yard. I now have a case under a tarp and a CC with no hood sitting next to each other in the back yard.

The VR was sticking again, I lifted the seat, gave it a tap and it stopped. I plan on cleaning that tomorrow after work.

#28 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,735 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 17, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Got everything back together with the exception of the hood. It seems someone installed door hinges to open the hood at some point, unless that's stock? I doubt it. 

Either way I was able to unstick the choke cable and got that working better. It still needs to be used more to free up, but it's usable.

I mowed my lawn today with the 86 and I was pretty impressed. Mows pretty well. It smokes a bit when going up hill while mowing, but on level ground, worked great.

All & all I'm happy with it, everything works well and I find it to be a fun little machine. I'm going to likely install headlights on it next. 

Photos to follow shortly.

• chris m said thank you