27 replies to this topic

#1 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,732 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'll say this 1st, I never really liked cubs. Kinda because honestly LOL they're yellow and I'm a red bush hog kinda guy. 

But yesterday on CL a CC 86 came up locally for $75. Had a mowing deck, ran when parked sorta deal, but for $75, couldn't pass it up. Told the man on the phone I'd buy it and be by at 5:30 since I get out at 5pm. He said that was fine, but in true CL fashion, I call just as I'm ready to leave and the jerk sold it. Said he forgot I was coming. 

Fast forward to today, I'm at work, and get the itch to go to the scrap yard which is 2 minutes from work. Walking around I find a Cub 86 with a mowing deck, that I was told was just dropped off.

Looking at photos on CL and this one, I believe it's the same one. Same tape on the seat, tires look right, etc. I asked how much, was told $100 and said, sure why not.

Here she is, the CC 86 sitting at work in the shop.

Engine turns over by hand, and tries to turn over with the key turned. Seems to have been sitting for a while, the mowing deck moves, but needs the leaves, crud and just needs general attention. 

over all for $100, so far I'm happy!

Attached Thumbnails

• photo (13).JPG
  • photo (14).JPG

• daytime dave, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 06:17 PM

So this jerk junked it first?

#3 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Peter congrats on a nice find for $100!

#4 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hummm , guys sells it to a junk yard for a whoppin extra $25 .

Plus , since it doesn't run he had to push it onto whatever he used to  haul it to the junkyard , plus the gas .

Seem like a lot of work for a extra $25 .

It would have been worth that much for me to see someone haul it home with the plan on trying to get it running again .

I can't figure some people out .

The 86 is one of the rarer cubs made .

Nice find .

#5 johncub7172 OFFLINE  

johncub7172
  • Member No: 35779
  • 12 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Hummm , guys sells it to a junk yard for a whoppin extra $25 .

Plus , since it doesn't run he had to push it onto whatever he used to  haul it to the junkyard , plus the gas .

Seem like a lot of work for a extra $25 .

It would have been worth that much for me to see someone haul it home with the plan on trying to get it running again .

I can't figure some people out .

The 86 is one of the rarer cubs made .

Nice find .

Too tell you the truth, I bet the guy was needing some beer. Scrap is about .09 cents a pound. He took a loss selling to the scrap man. Still, a fair price from the scrap man. I have my own honey hole scrap yard where every thing is weighed, and sold back as scrap, but maybe a little profit for the scrap man respectably.  Other scrap yards see me coming and all of the sudden they have gold, I don't go any where else.

Very nice SAVE! Above and beyond the John Deere garden tractor line and that's a fact!

#6 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:31 PM

Nice rescue...congratulations !

#7 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:33 PM

Great score Pete! What scrap yard around us gives good deals like that???? It couldn't be Exeter scrap could it??? Because they always seem to want top dollar for there stuff.

#8 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 02:44 AM

Welcome to the club!!! Glad you were able to save that one. I feel fortunate that all of my CL buys have worked out good. Three of my 4 GT's were from CL, with a several hours of travel to get them. Enjoy the 86!

#9 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 10:35 AM

Good score!!! Like Jlaws said, the 86's are a little harder Cub to find. You did great for $100.

#10 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 11:31 AM

Nice find Pete.  What are you plans for it?  Fix it up and sell it or is it going to be a worker?

#11 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,732 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 09:09 PM

It was Exeter scrp, normally their prices are through the roof, so I was very surprised when she told me $100 for it. I'm going to use this to teach the younger kid I work with Jon about engines, and how to use a machine like this.

Since it has the mowing deck already on it, I'll see how it mows. It's still at the shop, going to take it home tomorrow. I had FD training, but the misses wants to go out to dinner since we've both been working so much, so looks like I'll be home and have some free time tomorrow night to tinker with this.

I did fill all the tires before I left work on Saturday, and came in today, everything held air. I did find the hour meter on this, and its saying 1,800 hours roughly.

I'm working on getting the PTO disengaged, as the engines is still turning it, which is turning the mowing deck.

I think I'll keep this for a while and have some fun...once I get it running again. 

• chris m said thank you

#12 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,732 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Sooooo I got it home today, turns over when the battery is hooked up, but the key switch is off. What causes this? The only way to turn the tractor off is to disconnect the battery. Key switch does nothing, the toggle switch next to it, nothing and pressing the brake does nothing.

#13 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,732 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:53 PM

In other words, the moment I hook the battery up, it turns over, weither the key is turned on or off.

#14 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:55 PM

Well... either the starter and Battery + cable are on the same starter solenoid terminal, or someone put a hot jumper wire (Batt +) on the small terminal of the solenoid. Have you looked at the solenoid yet?

#15 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• 1,732 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 08:58 PM

What's weird is earlier in the day, it worked fine with the key switch. I then pressed the brake down and held it down with a clamp so I can work on the carb while turning the key.  I went to turn it off and it kept running.

You think maybe that pedal being pressed down has something to do with it? The solenoid looks stock and normal.