OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well to be fair.  The pics he sent me didn't show the wheel weights, and I told him to keep the battery.  He claimed that it was 'new' but I'd rather get my own and KNOW that it's new.  The seat is in the 'basement storage' of the MH.  It wasn't pinned down and I didn't want to lose it.

Besides,  I think that this will end up with the 12" wheels that are on the forklift and a pair of Rim Guarded CST Ancla tires.  Rim Guard will add 80+ lbs. to each tire which is a lot more than what the wheel weights would.

#17 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Haha good luck at him getting 1,300 out of me if I cant see it run.................

Now you just need to find a SPOT to put it.

#18 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Well to be fair.  The pics he sent me didn't show the wheel weights, and I told him to keep the battery.  He claimed that it was 'new' but I'd rather get my own and KNOW that it's new.  The seat is in the 'basement storage' of the MH.  It wasn't pinned down and I didn't want to lose it.

Besides,  I think that this will end up with the 12" wheels that are on the forklift and a pair of Rim Guarded CST Ancla tires.  Rim Guard will add 80+ lbs. to each tire which is a lot more than what the wheel weights would.

You can put 3 plate weights on each side thats over 80 pounds...

#19 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Well, he DIDN'T get $1,300.00, and one of the conditions was that it had to get onto the trailer under it's own power :D :D :D

There wasn't any grass/weeds to cut close by, but the Sickle-Mo does operate properly, with the exception of the jury rigged lift.

ETA:

On the weights, that would be true if I kept the 15" wheels, but even then, Rim Guard would be a lot cheaper than finding and buying two more sets of 15" wheel weights.

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 03, 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#20 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Did you get the mower off and put on your other machine yet? lol Sorry I'm just anxious to see how well it works.

#21 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 04:07 PM

It will stay on the 1250, and I'll use that as a dedicated sickle mower.

I'll try to get a vid of it in operation tomorrow. 

ETA:

Make that today :D :D :D

I took a few more pics and a short vid of it in operation.  Oh was running when It ook the pics, and the AMP Gauge is showing that it's charging.  I wonder if maybe he had a junk battery in it that wouldn't take a charge?  Oh well, I'll find out the answer to that soon enough

It cuts, but not all that well. It's very obvious that it's going to need all new knife sections, which is what I pretty much expected.

The hydro lift is nice though :D :D :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4600.JPG
  • 100_4601.JPG
  • 100_4602.JPG
  • 100_4603.JPG
  • 100_4604.JPG
  • 100_4605.JPG
  • 100_4606.JPG
  • 100_4607.JPG
  • 100_4608.JPG

Edited by OldBuzzard, June 04, 2013 - 05:19 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr, Newpaws493 and 1 other said thanks

#22 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:02 PM

Heck that works pretty good for having a set of dull knives on it.I didn't get a chance to run the cutter when I was down there.He had a plow on the front of it then.

Looks like it's charging to.I have the regulator off of my old 1250 yet that your welcome to if you need it.I bought a new one for it and found out that the field coil was burnt out in the generator. :wallbanging:

I might buy the G11 off of him here in a couple weeks.I keep thinking about it just sitting there rotting away,I just can't stand it.Don't know what I'll do with it but I do need a plow tractor for the winter.I said that I would not buy another one off of him but dangit I have to try and save it. :rolling:  

I really want his earlier RAM but he wants $700 for it without any attachments.I'm still looking for a 1000 to,have been looking for one for almost 5 years now.Brian I'm coming to "relocate" your 1000 lol

Edited by EricFromPa, June 04, 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#23 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted June 04, 2013 - 10:43 PM

It cuts, but not all that well. It's very obvious that it's going to need all new knife sections, which is what I pretty much expected.

Can you sharpen the knife sections or do you just have to replace them once they wear out?  I don't know a whole lot about these sickle mowers.  Are parts still available for them and if so are they pretty easy to find?  IDK if Haban is still in business or not...  If they are like MacKissic and are both still in business and still support their old equipment, that would be great.

#24 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 01:10 PM

... I might buy the G11 off of him here in a couple weeks.I keep thinking about it just sitting there rotting away,I just can't stand it.Don't know what I'll do with it but I do need a plow tractor for the winter.I said that I would not buy another one off of him but dangit I have to try and save it. :rolling: ...

Well, if you do, parts won't be hard to come by, as it's basically identical to the G10 except for the engine and PTO.

Can you sharpen the knife sections or do you just have to replace them once they wear out?  I don't know a whole lot about these sickle mowers.  Are parts still available for them and if so are they pretty easy to find?  IDK if Haban is still in business or not...  If they are like MacKissic and are both still in business and still support their old equipment, that would be great.

Haban went out of business some time ago.  They sold to the Polaris Group in 1995, who pretty much destroyed the company.  Agri-Fab bought the product line in 2000, and closed the factory shortly after that.

Some parts like the Knives are somewhat standard and you can get them from places like TSC and Rural King.

Haban was also very good at using a basic design and adapting it to work of different brands of tractors. For instance, the #414 Sickle-Mo that was for certain Wheel Horse tractors is identical to the #405A that was for the Bolens tube frames.  They took a 405A, added a couple of pieces to the front mount so that it would hang on the Wheel Horse axle, shortened the front PTO shaft, and made a right angle gear box that attached to the frame of the Wheel Horse so that it's belt driven PTO could drive the Sickle-Mo.  In fact the Sickle-Mo that I have on my 1256 is a #414,  All I needed to do to make it work was have the PTO shaft lengthened, and take off the front bracket.

• EricFromPa and MailmAn have said thanks

#25 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 04:53 PM

Speaking of a 405,there's 1 on ebay for sale.To bad it's to far away to just stick it in the trunk of the car and let it hang out .lol

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c335e3256

Edited by EricFromPa, June 05, 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#26 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Speaking of a 405,there's 1 on ebay for sale.To bad it's to far away to just stick it in the trunk of the car and let it hang out .lol

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c335e3256

He's been trying to sell that thing for months and no one has bought it yet idk why if i had the cash it would be in my shed all eady.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#27 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 05:36 PM

He's been trying to sell that thing for months and no one has bought it yet idk why if i had the cash it would be in my shed all eady.

I think its missing parts.

• EricFromPa and MailmAn have said thanks

#28 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • 2,295 Thanks
  • 2,331 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:01 PM

Are these the same Knives?

http://www.ebay.com/...=item43bbe300a5

I guess you would have to take one of yours off and measure it.It does not specify they're exact dimensions on the manual.

http://gardentractor...-415-sickle-mo/

Is this your `1000 OB?

Sorry for going off topic a bit 

Edited by EricFromPa, June 05, 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#29 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 05:41 AM

I don't think those knives will fit the Haban.  I know that TSC has the right size knives for the it though.  I'll just have to get one off and take it in so that they can match it.

That 1000 isn't mine.  I picked it up and am storing it for 1967bolens collector.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#30 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:26 AM

I think it hasn't sold for two reasons:  1) It is missing parts and from what I can tell is not in operable condition right now and will probably cost hundreds of dollars to buy the parts needed to fix it up.  (I think it is missing some of the parts to mount it and one of the pulleys is broken I think?)  2)  He just wants WAY too much money for it.  The auction listing you just posted I think is about the cheapest I've seen it yet.  I started watching it when he first tried selling it months ago and I believe he wanted like $400-$450 for it back then.  He's listed it about a dozen times at least and has never sold it, but he also refuses to come down on price.  He could sell it easily if he listed it with a starting bid of $1.00 with no reserve and just see what it would bring, but I'm guessing it wouldn't sell for what crazy price he wants to get for it.  :(   Too bad, another piece of equipment that will rust into the ground before the owner will part with it...