103 replies to this topic

#76 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:34 PM

I like the ATV tires - All Trails for me please!

• Sawdust said thank you

#77 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 10:36 PM

I only had a few hours today because of having to have dinner with the family each day this weekend. I was able to spread some red spot putty on some of the touch up areas where needed. I almost covered the whole dash because of so many imperfections in the gel coat on the outside. Not much to see but it's some progress. I also ordered a pair of 23x10.50x12 Nanco Ag's today. I had a hard time deciding on the Deestone or the Nanco's. Their probably about the same but I read a lot of reviews about the Deestones being smaller. I had a 10% off coupon from ebay & about $90. in my Paypal so I was only about $53.out of pocket.  I won't be working this GT so appearance is all I'm interested in for this one. I'll probably go with the Carlisle Tru Power on the next puchase. I have to do some research on here to see what will look good on the front....maybe tri-ribs  :tapping_fingers:

spot putty1.jpg spot putty2.jpg spot putty3.jpg spot putty4.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#78 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 05:09 PM

I can't wait to see some paint on it. All that extra prep work makes

a difference to the final product. Nice work. :thumbs:

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#79 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 20, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I only had a few hours today because of having to have dinner with the family each day this weekend. I was able to spread some red spot putty on some of the touch up areas where needed. I almost covered the whole dash because of so many imperfections in the gel coat on the outside. Not much to see but it's some progress. I also ordered a pair of 23x10.50x12 Nanco Ag's today. I had a hard time deciding on the Deestone or the Nanco's. Their probably about the same but I read a lot of reviews about the Deestones being smaller. I had a 10% off coupon from ebay & about $90. in my Paypal so I was only about $53.out of pocket.  I won't be working this GT so appearance is all I'm interested in for this one. I'll probably go with the Carlisle Tru Power on the next puchase. I have to do some research on here to see what will look good on the front....maybe tri-ribs  :tapping_fingers:

attachicon.gifspot putty1.jpgattachicon.gifspot putty2.jpgattachicon.gifspot putty3.jpgattachicon.gifspot putty4.jpg

What is your gel coating on the dash? Is it what you used to repair the dash?

#80 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I got a local guy to get 4/4.8 x 8 tri ribs from or whatever that size is. He's in Westchester, $60 with tubes. The 16.5x8 tri's are double the money just for 1.

I think they need to be on thinner rims though. I know a guy who mounted on the standard Sears front rims, they began cracking after a month. He always used the thinner rims until then without a problem.

• Sawdust said thank you

#81 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 21, 2014 - 08:54 PM

That's what I keep telling myself Will. I got carried away & even put some spot putty under the engine area.lol

Gabriel I shoudn't have used the term gel coat that's the outer layer on fiberglass. The factory plastic finish was flakey & chalky.

Marty I searched out some tri-ribs too sure didn't think they were that expensive :( I think some Turfs a little higher might look good too.
  • IamSherwood and Gabriel have said thanks

#82 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Marty I searched out some tri-ribs too sure didn't think they were that expensive :( I think some Turfs a little higher might look good too.

Most of the smaller size tri ribs will pop up at like $35-45 a pair, but then you add $15-20 shipping and you are in the $55-65 price range. I was going to order some from Greater Cleveland tire for $52 shipped WITHOUT tubes, then I found this guy that had same tires for $60 WITH tubes ( have a bunch of Wheelbarrow and small trailer tires so always needing tubes), I practically drive past his place on my way home.

• Sawdust said thank you

#83 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Major accomplishment today I got all the tires off the wheels. The fronts were the worse the rears came off easy. My Dad taught me how to break a bead with a bumper jack with the bottom plate against the tire by the edge of the wheel when I was a kid. Since my Dodge Ram B250 has a bumper jack that's how I done it in about an hour. The rear turfs are still good so I'll probably re mount these once sand blasted & painted. I bought a pair of Nanco Ag's that are 23x10.50x12 but are only 21 1/2" high. I like the tire a lot but just not high enough. I don't think I'll use them on this because the turfs are a full 23" high. I want to mount a set of Ag's so I can use them also. The silver mist on the rears really barked when they saw daylight for the first time in forty eight years, I was surprised the wheels were in real good shape.

wheels.jpg wheels2.jpg

• MH81, IamSherwood, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks

#84 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 26, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Major accomplishment today I got all the tires off the wheels. The fronts were the worse the rears came off easy. My Dad taught me how to break a bead with a bumper jack with the bottom plate against the tire by the edge of the wheel when I was a kid. Since my Dodge Ram B250 has a bumper jack that's how I done it in about an hour. The rear turfs are still good so I'll probably re mount these once sand blasted & painted. I bought a pair of Nanco Ag's that are 23x10.50x12 but are only 21 1/2" high. I like the tire a lot but just not high enough. I don't think I'll use them on this because the turfs are a full 23" high. I want to mount a set of Ag's so I can use them also. The silver mist on the rears really barked when they saw daylight for the first time in forty eight years, I was surprised the wheels were in real good shape.
attachicon.gifwheels.jpgattachicon.gifwheels2.jpg

That is a major accomplishment! Good job!

#85 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 05:51 AM

Those rims are very clean inside. That's something you don't see every day.

That's too bad, that the Ag's are that much smaller. From what I've seen in various

discussions here about tires, the Carlisle Tru Power Ag's are true in size.

They are a bit more money.

#86 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:39 AM

Will I think I'll go with the Carlisle's for the Massey. These Nanco's would look good on the Sears SS15 with the smaller round fenders.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#87 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Yeah, that would make a good fit on the sears.

The Tru powers are more square, as is the MF.

Good move.

#88 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have a 1968 MF12 with a Sundstrand Hydrostatic tranny. Model # 902050. Everything works well with the exception of the seal leaking around the output shaft. I have replaced this seal once but it still leaks. The PO had replaced it prior to me getting it but did a bad job of doing it. My plan was to install a quick shaft repair sleeve thinking maybe the shaft was slightly worn. When I started to take the pump apart I found something that doesn't look good. Is this wear normal because of the age & should I not be concerned because it works well. If this will be a problem what would be the result later if I don't address it now. Thanks

This is showing I can only come out of the shaft a 1/4" with the quick sleeve because of the pulley.

pump shaft.jpg

This is the damage. I'm sorry I don't remember what this part is called.

pump damage1.jpg

Here is the mating surface showing no wear or damage.

pump damage2.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#89 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 27, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I have a 1968 MF12 with a Sundstrand Hydrostatic tranny. Model # 902050. Everything works well with the exception of the seal leaking around the output shaft. I have replaced this seal once but it still leaks. The PO had replaced it prior to me getting it but did a bad job of doing it. My plan was to install a quick shaft repair sleeve thinking maybe the shaft was slightly worn. When I started to take the pump apart I found something that doesn't look good. Is this wear normal because of the age & should I not be concerned because it works well. If this will be a problem what would be the result later if I don't address it now. Thanks

This is showing I can only come out of the shaft a 1/4" with the quick sleeve because of the pulley.

attachicon.gifpump shaft.jpg

This is the damage. I'm sorry I don't remember what this part is called.

attachicon.gifpump damage1.jpg

Here is the mating surface showing no wear or damage.

attachicon.gifpump damage2.jpg

It's not the spool that the pistons go in, is it?

• Sawdust said thank you

#90 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 10, 2014 - 07:51 PM

Gabriel I believe the correct part name is the piston cylinder block that the wear is on. The wear is on the opposite side of the pistons. Like I mentioned I'm not sure if I can or should do anything for this because it works fine. My concern is what caused this. If a worn bearing that would have some slop in it cause this or did some foreign material get trapped in there????

With much needed sleeping in & a late breakfast at Crackle Barrel along with the grandsons ball games today not much GT time. I was able to get the pump drive shaft out so I can install a speedi sleeve on that. I took some measurements of the shaft & my smallest was near the shaft seal as expected & it was .747 & the largest was .749. The speedi sleeve from Napa fits between .748-.752 I'm not sure now this one will work. I'm going to search & see if someone else has a smaller size. I guess I could apply some sealant on the shaft before installing the sleeve to make up the difference between the shaft size of .747 & the sleeve .748 any suggestions would be helpful. I wasn't too happy to find out someone filled the seal housing area with what looks like hardened gasket sealer  :mad2: . 

Pump drive shaft 

output shaft1.jpg

Pump housing with the hardened sealer, what a mess.

output shaft2.jpg

No sizes found for a 3/4" shaft other than the one I mentioned. I did find the same SK sleeve on Ebay for half the price. I'll get that one & try it. If anyone has any suggestions on the best sealer to put on the shaft before sliding the sleeve on I would appreciate it. Thanks

Edited by Sawdust, May 10, 2014 - 08:07 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you