103 replies to this topic

#46 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 26, 2014 - 10:24 PM

Have you made any recent progress on your restoration?

• Sawdust said thank you

#47 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 08:55 AM

I may be a bit late here, but then, maybe you'd put this on hold for the winter, with

your recovery still underway.

This is the only picture I could find on my HD. I'll be in M hall in the next day

or so, and take some good close ups, in and out.

attachicon.gifP1010191.JPG

I have one of those idler arms that was repaired.

attachicon.gifP1010103.JPG

You're welcome to have it, but you'll have to wait a bit. It's under 3 ft of snow

right now. Remind me when spring arrives.

Will I appreciate that so much that's very kind of you. Your unselfish gesture & willing to help is what makes this forum what it is. I seen one of these at joe's outdoor for a reasonable price so considering the shipping cost from you I think I'll go ahead & buy this one. Thanks again.Jim

• IamSherwood and Gabriel have said thanks

#48 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 09:00 AM

Thanks Jim.

Yes, shipping charges across the border are getting more and more crazy.

I haven't spent enough time in Massey hall lately, but I will get you those pics

soon.

• Sawdust said thank you

#49 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 11:37 AM

Have you made any recent progress on your restoration?

No Gabriel I haven't. I have been doing some research for needed parts. I'm getting my list together, it's not bad. I'm going to replace the idler pulley's, I seen where GT Reproductions is offering the plastic hood trim & steering wheel center cap that most all of us MF fans need. With the help on here I got the location for the three colors of paint I'll need. I'm getting stronger in my shoulders now so I might tear down the engine & do some specs on that to see what size ring & piston kit I need. It has always ran well but I wouldn't be happy without rebuilding the engine too. I have been checking all my primed parts I put out in the cold damp garage on purpose to see if any traces of rust are peeping out...so far none. Like many others I can't wait for good weather I want to paint something soon. Thanks!

Edited by Sawdust, January 27, 2014 - 01:40 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#50 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 11:43 AM

I just took some pics, but not sure if they're going to show you much.

DSCF0323.JPG DSCF0324.JPG

DSCF0325.JPG DSCF0327.JPG

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#51 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:53 PM

That looks good Will. I see now my angle bracket on the headlight panel is broke off. I have a piece of them left factory spot welded on the inside of my hood. What I'll do is cut them off & fabricate another bracket for each side. I'm going to order the plastic trim so I can recess it to locate exactly where they need to be fastened. 

You can see where my brackets are missing probably broke off. The second panel I believe was added to reinforce this area, not sure if this is factory. If not they did a good job of cutting it out to match the other.

Light Panel.jpg

You can see on the inside of the hood I have part of the brackets still attached. I'll remove them & fabricate some new brackets. I'm going to order the plastic trim so I can recess it to mark where the new brackets need to be welded.

Hood 3.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#52 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 01:53 PM

I've enjoyed reading about your restoration since I'm in the middle of one myself. I got my hood trim and steering wheel cap ordered from GTReproductions last week. I'm waiting for good weather too. It has been very cold here. I plan on rebuilding the engine and transmission first, but need warm weather to degrease them first. It makes the wait easier when you can read about other people's restorations.
  • Sawdust said thank you

#53 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 27, 2014 - 06:21 PM

That looks good Will. I see now my angle bracket on the headlight panel is broke off. I have a piece of them left factory spot welded on the inside of my hood. What I'll do is cut them off & fabricate another bracket for each side. I'm going to order the plastic trim so I can recess it to locate exactly where they need to be fastened. 

You can see where my brackets are missing probably broke off. The second panel I believe was added to reinforce this area, not sure if this is factory. If not they did a good job of cutting it out to match the other.

attachicon.gifLight Panel.jpg

You can see on the inside of the hood I have part of the brackets still attached. I'll remove them & fabricate some new brackets. I'm going to order the plastic trim so I can recess it to mark where the new brackets need to be welded.

attachicon.gifHood 3.jpg

Yes Jim, those left over tabs, spot welded in the hood where part of the front

panel that has the studs on it for the headlight retainer. That other plate isn't

OE. I think it's quite common for the front panel to break away from the hood at

those tabs, because once the hood support rod gets lost and someone flings

the hood open to catch that mouse, those tabs take all the twisting as the

bezel smashes against the grill, stops and breaks, but that hood is still moving. Of

course, the mouse gets away, because the person that flung open the hood is now busy

cursing at himself.

What I can't figure out, is what was holding yours together?

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#54 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 28, 2014 - 12:05 PM

Will the PO made a mess of the light area but I guess he did the best he could. He had pop rivets & an awful light bar across the headlights. I don't have a hood stop rod so that explains probably why this area broke like you said. I found a diagram on here where someone bent their own rod so that's my plan as well. 

The two holes on top of the hood where the rivets were.

hole3.jpg

The rivets upper left hand corner same method on both sides.

Hood 2.jpg

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks

#55 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:12 PM

This is good! Keep up the good work. I have a mf12 I plan on restoring and I have never done a massey before so this is going to help!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  • Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#56 jser OFFLINE  

jser
  • Member No: 9139
  • 5 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted March 07, 2014 - 11:25 PM

Keep up the good work, I plan on restoring my mf10 someday, atleast as much as I can with a repower.

• Sawdust said thank you

#57 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Its been awhile & I kind of got side tracked picking up a couple more GT's. The weather has been nice so I thought I would start working on my dash. After taking this tractor apart I found out it had been repaired once before poorly. When I started grinding the old stuff off it came off in chunks. I could see where they never cleaned it very well because there was still some dirt & oil under the repair. Once I ground all this off I cleaned with dish detergent then blow dryed it. I was going to use some of the more expensive epoxys but I went with what I have used before & knew worked well . I busted the edge of my snowmobile one year right near the hood hinge. I used Bondo's fiberglass resin with the mesh & it worked well for me. 

Here you can see once I ground off the old repair I ended up with a jig saw puzzle

dash1.jpg

I made a template for the metal from some cardboard. Little Debbie's cakes work well for this & there is a treat inside the boxes as well.

dash2.jpg dash3.jpg

I just transfered the template to the metal. I used some recycled galvanized air duct pieces from a job, it's the real heavy stuff. I also drilled a lot of holes so the fiberglass would bond to it & ooze through the holes. 

dash5.jpg dash6.jpg

This is just one layer of FG & it already feels much more stronger. Once this dries I will add another layer & wrap it around the bottom

dash7.jpg

Once my second layer dries I will sand the high spots off & skim coat with body filler. I know this is the inside but I still want it to look good. I also have a few small places on the front that will need a little filler. 

Attached Thumbnails

• dash4.jpg

• MH81, IamSherwood and Gabriel have said thanks

#58 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Its been awhile & I kind of got side tracked picking up a couple more GT's. The weather has been nice so I thought I would start working on my dash. After taking this tractor apart I found out it had been repaired once before poorly. When I started grinding the old stuff off it came off in chunks. I could see where they never cleaned it very well because there was still some dirt & oil under the repair. Once I ground all this off I cleaned with dish detergent then blow dryed it. I was going to use some of the more expensive epoxys but I went with what I have used before & knew worked well . I busted the edge of my snowmobile one year right near the hood hinge. I used Bondo's fiberglass resin with the mesh & it worked well for me. 

Here you can see once I ground off the old repair I ended up with a jig saw puzzle

attachicon.gifdash1.jpg

I made a template for the metal from some cardboard. Little Debbie's cakes work well for this & there is a treat inside the boxes as well.

attachicon.gifdash2.jpgattachicon.gifdash3.jpg

I just transfered the template to the metal. I used some recycled galvanized air duct pieces from a job, it's the real heavy stuff. I also drilled a lot of holes so the fiberglass would bond to it & ooze through the holes. 

attachicon.gifdash5.jpgattachicon.gifdash6.jpg

This is just one layer of FG & it already feels much more stronger. Once this dries I will add another layer & wrap it around the bottom

attachicon.gifdash7.jpg

Once my second layer dries I will sand the high spots off & skim coat with body filler. I know this is the inside but I still want it to look good. I also have a few small places on the front that will need a little filler. 

Looks good! I think that's good having the inside of the dash look good too. It's nice to do a thorough job.

• Sawdust said thank you

#59 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the update!

• Sawdust said thank you

#60 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:16 AM

Since some of you convinced me to stay with the metalic silver instead of the hammerite paint I did some body work late yesterday. What I done I know may seem useless on the frame but I had some severe pitting in some areas. I spread some body filler on these areas & will sand smooth maybe this afternoon or tomorrow. Here is a few pics.

Here is my worst area so you can see why I needed to do this

ref17.jpg

This is the filler I'm using

bw1.jpg

bw2.jpg bw3.jpg bw4.jpg bw5.jpg bw6.jpg bw7.jpg

• MH81, IamSherwood, TAHOE and 1 other said thanks