I was given this Versa-Matic last fall for free.
It was pretty rough and the carb was left off it and the valve's all rusted up since water got in over the years.
I really didnt think I could get it running without doing a complete rebuild but Since I planted some larger gardens this year I was going to need another one to cultivate.
Managed to get the valves free and ground them down and lapped them. I removed the head and poured oil into the block and let it sit a few days to make sure the rings weren't stuck
Cleaned the tank, Put some fresh gas in and she fired on the second pull
It doesn't even smoke and runs great!!
The previous owners cobbled together some headlights and a muffler which I did my best to restore back to OEM.
The pipe seemed pretty rusted in there so I decided to leave it for now and just put a new muffler on the end of it.
Never ceases to amaze me the things people will do to get around Buying original parts, It would have been alot easier to just get another pancake muffler and bolt that on instead of adding 10 foot of pipe
When I picked it up:
Since this one is rough, I decided to use it as the worker as I wont feel bad getting it dirty and not be using my nice original 55' versa-Matic for cultivating and weed cutting
(I know the tires look hideous on there but It was the only option other than paying $200 for a new set of ags)