jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 77
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:51 PM

Said good-bye today to the school year as well as a few welding projects from my shop.  Very proud of the kids this year.  Each year I tell them because of the size of our shop we need to limit projects to 1 4'x8' trailer and the rest of the projects.  Somehow they talked me into letting them build 2 5'x10' trailers, a 4'x8' feed cart frame, an extremely overbuilt yard cart, and about a dozen other projects.  One half of the shop was crammed full of welding projects and the other with about 25 engines torn down.  Wasn't easy to walk around but we got it done!  One set of trailer fenders was added after the picture and the other will be added after paint.

Trailer 1.JPG

trailer2.JPG

yard cart.JPG

• Bolens 1000, daytime dave, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 10:51 PM

Sounds like you have a very successful school year.  It is good to hear about kids getting into doing something productive. :thumbs:

• jdslednut said thank you

#3 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 11:10 PM

Where do I sign up for your class?
  • jdslednut said thank you

#4 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 11:24 PM

I am in the same boat too almost done school we have a Tig and mig welder also many machines In this year i have been thru a bottle of gas with the Tig i have done so many things in my shop class this year 

• jdslednut and Alc have said thanks

#5 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 11:28 PM

I am in the same boat too almost done school we have a Tig and mig welder also many machines In this year i have been thru a bottle of gas with the Tig i have done so many things in my shop class this year 

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!  Some of my best memories came from the shop classes in high school.  That's why I do what I do.

Edited by jdslednut, May 31, 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#6 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 11:32 PM

Sounds like you have a very successful school year.  It is good to hear about kids getting into doing something productive. :thumbs:

This was a great year!  Kids made some great projects and most genuinely cared for a quality job.  One of our highlights was our FFA Ag. Mechanics team placing 2nd in the state in April.  I'll miss those kids...but they've done a great job training their replacements.

• Alc, KennyP, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 05:56 AM

It's great for kids to get some kind of shop classes  I don't think my son ever took them in high school just middle school .  To bad he didn't get more .

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:01 AM

I think that more youths should be exposed to these types of classes.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge every year.  Good looking projects too.

#9 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Glad to hear you are enjoying it!  Some of my best memories came from the shop classes in high school.  That's why I do what I do.

Mine also. Some of the shenanigans that got pulled in my classes would have you asking why do I want to do this. Some classmates set the teachers shop coat on fire to name one. I hope you run a tighter ship than that instructor. Hands on classes worked best for me, glad you are doing that there. I don't believe it is offered here. Too bad in a rural district. Do you offer aluminum instruction? Kinda important now days. If you do aluminum you need to remember no water on hot aluminum. It can go bang.

Kurtee

#10 jdslednut OFFLINE  

jdslednut

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 636 Thanks
  • 837 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:37 AM

Mine also. Some of the shenanigans that got pulled in my classes would have you asking why do I want to do this. Some classmates set the teachers shop coat on fire to name one. I hope you run a tighter ship than that instructor. Hands on classes worked best for me, glad you are doing that there. I don't believe it is offered here. Too bad in a rural district. Do you offer aluminum instruction? Kinda important now days. If you do aluminum you need to remember no water on hot aluminum. It can go bang.

Kurtee

We have 1 TIG welder.  Somewhat difficult for classes with 12-20 students but I instruct and get the kids exposed to it.  There are jobs waiting for kids who can show proficiency in aluminum and stainless.  Your school has an awesome paint booth!  I just wish it was used for something other than storage.  I can usually count on one fire in my class per year but thankfully it's usually just a paper towell. :D

• HDWildBill and Kurtee have said thanks