• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:13 PM

I just got a 1750 watt Kohler generator.  K91 powered.  I mentioned in my orig post that it had a big muffler

no it don't... I confused it with a pic of a 12HP Kohler powered one I also looked at....

this is a small generator by 30 year ago standards, physical size wise. before the small honduh type came out...

I plan for this to be my "camping" generator  to take with me when I take the popup out; I found a steal on a huge (for a 4HP) brand new nelson spark arrestor type muffler that Id like to put on.  The generator has the common  Kohler "Pancake" muffler at present. 

My new one has the right size inlet already.  I need to make a short (4-6" long total) "Z," to be able to mount it.  I know elec conduit isn't ideal, (OK the galvanizing will burn off within the 1st few minutes then it would be fine)  but it's what I have.  I can make myself a flange to bolt onto the engine (haven't pulled the muffler to see if it might be threaded yet)  then MIG weld this "Z" bend to my new flange and clamp the muffler onto that.

I have a short radius hand-conduit bender here but not "that" short a radius.  what I need is for this to be made from 3/4" tube.  Any chance a muffler shop might have anything this small and be able to bend it up for me???

• larryd said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:22 PM

How about a shop that builds mico sprint or go kart frames ?  They can make some small  tubing bends , maybe they can bend you thin tubing

• larryd said thank you

#3 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Pack that tube with sand as compressed as you can get it, then heat and bend away at that " Z" bend .

The muffler shop might just have a better alternative for you though.

• IamSherwood, Utah Smitty, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#4 lyall OFFLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,397 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 10:08 PM

why not use black pipe?

use can use 90 elbows or 45 elbows to make your Z 

• IamSherwood and larryd have said thanks

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:10 AM

Pack that tube with sand as compressed as you can get it, then heat and bend away at that " Z" bend .

The muffler shop might just have a better alternative for you though.

I'd go with the sand also.

Sounds like your making a pretzel with a pipe. Good luck

• larryd said thank you

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:48 AM

Most muffler places wont have the dies to bend something smaller that 1 3/8. I think your going to have to bend it with sand or use a mandrel.

• larryd said thank you

#7 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:02 AM

There are offset benders for 3/4" EMT.  http://www.greenlee....roduct_id=19202.....Your local electrician may have one and can do the bend in seconds.

This offset bender has a max offset of 1/2". 

If you need more offset, would making two 90* bends with your present bender, cutting them to proper offset & welding them together do what you want?

There is also a good possibility that the exhaust port is threaded.  .....Black iron pipe nipples and fittings will last much longer than EMT. 

Be sure the muffler is adequately supported to take the stress off the mounting at the block.

• IamSherwood, HDWildBill, larryd and 1 other said thanks

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 09:09 AM

There are offset benders for 3/4" EMT.  http://www.greenlee....roduct_id=19202.....Your local electrician may have one and can do the bend in seconds.

This offset bender has a max offset of 1/2". 

If you need more offset, would making two 90* bends with your present bender, cutting them to proper offset & welding them together do what you want?

There is also a good possibility that the exhaust port is threaded.  .....Black iron pipe nipples and fittings will last much longer than EMT. 

Be sure the muffler is adequately supported to take the stress off the mounting at the block.

my thoughts on this;  look at all the old Snapper RER's  also the old Tecumseh "minibike" mufflers.  They were thin tube and lasted for years. and at that the muffler would burn out with the pipe usually surviving just fine.    I thought about black pipe. It would be clumbsy....

Though I love camping fishing hiking etc as much as I do, which is where I'll be using this machine the most, the above machines last for years being used for hours week after week; with as much use as this generator will wind up getting (I'm guessing truthfully not a whole lot)  and "not" being stored outside in the weather,  that thinwall tube,  will about outlast me without being so bulky/cumbersome....

I agree about supporting the muffler I have that covered. I plan on fabbing a simple bracket as a "standoff," to both hold the muff a couple inches away from and parallel to the generator's carry handle, and to support the weight too. . yeah I was thinking it may be threaded in that port/, I'll find out soon enough.

and IDK that my EMT bender is a short enough radius.. I know my 1/2" bender would be, but I cant use a 1/2" bender on 3/4" tube, whether I use EMT or not.

The pack with sand and heat/bend seems the best idea, using what I have available "here" without having to find someone to do what I'm after for me...  I am looking at 2, roughly 45* bends and a couple of straight "tails" either side of the 45* bends, with a total length of ~4-6".   The best way I know to make something like I am after which would combine the black pipe and thinwall suggestions and completely doable here, would be to sweat a few copper fittings together. but I know that copper for that purpose isn't feasible.....

but the idea of something like a "go cart shop" gives me an idea of who I may be able to ask, to make me a piece of thinwall tube like I am wanting.....

and yeah if I can get some kind of short radius 45* thinwall tube fittings, I definitely can MIG them together into what I am after.    maybe along the EMT idea, see what the local hardware store has in their bins for fittings? that may be best, as I can mock things up and tack everything in place then pull it and weld it the rest of the way in the vise.   Looking at the muffler it is a slip over deal that will take a small muffler type clamp...

Edited by dodge trucker, June 01, 2013 - 09:14 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,895 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 10:45 PM

looking at this again it may be easier than I thought; I may be able to do this and get away with a single, 60-ish degree bend.

I was out looking at it and holding the muffler in different layouts,  trying to keep it close enough to the generator unit  to not make it a cluster-PITA to mount and store the generator between uses, but far enough from the carry handle so as to not burn the back sides of my fingers should I have to pick it up and move it before it can cool down...