Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted June 03, 2013 - 04:22 PM

I know that is true for conventional powered welder. I know that either a generator or alternator can produce only AC, and the other can produce AC or DC. I thought that maybe it was an alternator, even though it is called a generator.

If the welder 220v powered it uses a transformer to increase the amperage. If the the welder uses a gasoline motor, the windings that make the electricity is an alternator. AC is easier to produce then DC, and it takes less HP to make it.

But since an alternator needs charge voltage to produce any output, a small DC generator is mounted on the end of the rotor to provide the charge voltage.

Here's a test you can try, take a GM alternator with a built in regulator, and spin it with an electric motor, and don't hook any battery to it, and check the output voltage, it will be zero, now add a battery to it and it will charge, the battery provides the charge voltage to energize the alternator.

Now try the same thing with a generator and regulator. The only difference is polarize the generator. Now with no battery hooked up to the generator, spin it and check the output voltage. It will charge without a battery.

The same principle is used here, the the DC generator starts to spin, it provides enough electricity to energize the stator in the alternator. An alternator will not charge a dead battery, but a generator will.

The biggest disadvantage to a generator, is they take a lot more power to spin, and have to spun faster to get the amperage out of them.
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#17 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yesterday I burned the silicone on the patch, then wire brushed as much off as I could. Today I had a buddy in the auto shop class use the blasting cabinet they have to clean up the area around the patch.

Then, I cut a piece of aluminum to be used as a patch, and somebody else started to weld it on for me. He only has another 10 minutes to finish it up. I would have done it, but I have not welded aluminum yet.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 01:31 PM

Yesterday the welding on the patch was finished.

A935AE4C-F73F-4240-B8A4-EE822C8D0B3D-405

1CB6D8C6-CEFA-4A91-B7DC-8608462D481E-405

Today was the first time that I TIG welded aluminum, and my welds where better then the welds on the block. If I had known, I would have done it myself, but it does not really matter to me it will not affect it any.

• twostep said thank you

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 07:36 PM

On Friday My uncle stopped by, and we where talking about the engine. He gave me a great idea! His idea was to bolt the engine to the welder like normal, but leave all of the internal things (except the crank) out of it. Then, put a pulley on the front and drive the pulley with another engine! I think I may do that instead of trying to get this one running... it is a box of parts and on top of me knowing nothing about the aluminum block briggs it could be missing some things.

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted June 18, 2013 - 09:05 PM

On Friday My uncle stopped by, and we where talking about the engine. He gave me a great idea! His idea was to bolt the engine to the welder like normal, but leave all of the internal things (except the crank) out of it. Then, put a pulley on the front and drive the pulley with another engine! I think I may do that instead of trying to get this one running... it is a box of parts and on top of me knowing nothing about the aluminum block briggs it could be missing some things.

You could, but to oil the crank, you'd still need something to serve as a splasher, normally done by the rod dipper.  If it were me, I'd get this engine going.

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 05:47 PM

You could, but to oil the crank, you'd still need something to serve as a splasher, normally done by the rod dipper.  If it were me, I'd get this engine going.

What if I put enough oil so that the crank would splash it around? Or, what if I put grease fittings so that I could use grease to lubricate the crank spinning in the block?

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,603 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted June 19, 2013 - 06:49 PM

What if I put enough oil so that the crank would splash it around? Or, what if I put grease fittings so that I could use grease to lubricate the crank spinning in the block?

Would be way better to run the oil deeper.  There's nothing there to help hold the grease in place, and likely seize the crank to the mains.  You could always weld a dipper to the crank also.  But I just thought, I'm not sure how much not having the rod/piston installed will affect the crank balance.  I am sure it will be off quite a bit.