- - - - -

54" blade..power angle problem!!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

• Member No: 702
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 01:45 AM

i just got a 54" power angle blade for my 1983 John Deere 318. to raise up and down works like a charm. but try the power angle and it moves but it is soooooo sloooooooow. when it kicks in and starts moving, it sounds as if it is really straining the hydro system. pulls the motor RPM's downand all. takes 45-60 seconds to go from full left to full right. PLEASE HELP!! i am a paraplegic of 27 years. this winter i am ready to have some fun and participate in the season. i need this fixed!!! ANY ADVICE ??

thank you for any info you may provide.

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 05:16 AM

Jdgimper1 :welcometogttalk:

Someone should be along with an answer for you shortly.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,446 Thanks
  • 17,086 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:01 AM

Welcome to the Forum, JDGIMPER1 :wave:

I'm no expert on john Deere's so I'll wait for a John Deere guy to come along....

Enjoy the site!

#4 Grumpy OFFLINE  

• Member No: 440
  • 641 Thanks
  • 576 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:55 AM

I have a 400 with a 54" blade but have never had any problems and have know ideas. Try here and someone will help. Weekend Freedom Machines

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:16 AM

You might want to check if something is binding in the plow frame itself or if you have a cylinder or coupler problem. The easiest way to start would be to remove the tilt cylinder from the frame and try angling the blade by hand. Then try the hydraulic valve to move the cylinder by itself and see if the hydraulics strains to operate the cylinder. If the frame moves fine by hand but the cylinder struggles it could be either a problem with the cylinder or even a problem with the hydraulic couplers not opening up all the way and letting oil flow through the couplers causing a lot of hydraulic back pressure. Give this a try and see what happens. Good luck, Mike

#6 1971Deere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 08:48 AM

The pivot bolt could be over tightened. I had this problem on a manual blade I found on craigslist.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,207 Thanks
  • 29,685 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 09:25 AM

Sounds like a restriction in that circuit, maybe just as Mike said...a quick-coupler not opening up. If hoses will reach, swap hoses to other circuit. If the problem follows, then it's in the hose couplers, or in the hoses or cylinder itself. If it works fine after swapping, then it's in one of the female/tractor couplers.

#8 middleageddeere OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2033
  • 243 Thanks
  • 1,082 posts

Posted February 15, 2011 - 08:33 PM

I had a skidsteer that did the same thing, turned out I just need to extended the cylinder all the way and spray a little chain lube on it. Then it worked better. Another time had one binding and it just needed a new cylinder. Good luck!

Edited by middleageddeere, February 15, 2011 - 08:47 PM.