4 replies to this topic

#1 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:05 AM

I need some feedback on the resale value of a Kohler Command 16 hp engine. It runs well and is currently sitting in a Scotts (John Deere) riding mower that I'm not using. A guy on CL is looking for a replacement engine and I've never done much research on resale for the engine but I'm not using the tractor so I thought it could be a win/win situation.

So, the tractor is a late 90s or very early 2000s garden variety lawn tractor. It's seen moderate use. No smoke. Starts with no problem. Always stored under cover. What would you think an engine of this type would go for? Thanks.

Edited by Moosetales, June 02, 2013 - 06:31 AM.

• larryd said thank you

#2 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:13 PM

I assume this is the twin cylinder model? Seems the horizontal crank models command a higher price than the vertical crank models.

It's worth what he is willing to pay and you are willing to let it go for......

You can look at SOLD FOR prices on that "online auction site" to get a ballpark idea of value. Some go pretty cheap and others go higher than I would pay for it! You can often buy a whole junker tractor cheaper than buying just a motor..... Some regeons of the US have higher sales prices than others - the old supply and demand thing...

Motors are big and heavy enough that they tend to be local sales - shipping a motor can be $$$$ and the carriers make you jump through hoops because of the oil and gasoline issues.....

Having said all that, I'll try and answer your question. Depending on orientation, model, condition, if I could hear it run, etc, I MIGHT pay $100-300 or so, but thats just me. You might be able to get more or less. I already have a couple sitting on the shelf waiting for a project.... :thumbs:  so I'm not hungry, if I needed one, that might change my perspective...

• Moosetales said thank you

#3 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 10:56 PM

I assume this is the twin cylinder model? Seems the horizontal crank models command a higher price than the vertical crank models.

It's worth what he is willing to pay and you are willing to let it go for......

You can look at SOLD FOR prices on that "online auction site" to get a ballpark idea of value. Some go pretty cheap and others go higher than I would pay for it! You can often buy a whole junker tractor cheaper than buying just a motor..... Some regeons of the US have higher sales prices than others - the old supply and demand thing...

Motors are big and heavy enough that they tend to be local sales - shipping a motor can be $$$$ and the carriers make you jump through hoops because of the oil and gasoline issues.....

Having said all that, I'll try and answer your question. Depending on orientation, model, condition, if I could hear it run, etc, I MIGHT pay $100-300 or so, but thats just me. You might be able to get more or less. I already have a couple sitting on the shelf waiting for a project.... :thumbs:  so I'm not hungry, if I needed one, that might change my perspective...

Thanks a lot. I had planned on being in this position until I saw the guy asking for what I had out in the shed so here I am and here I go....I'm about to email the guy to see if we can make a deal. Wish me luck.

#4 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Well, the buyer and I struck a deal today and the Command 16 AND tractor are leaving the premises tomorrow. Originally the buyer only wanted the engine but when I offered up the tractor and the engine for $175 he jumped at it. This will be a win/win. He gets a good deal and I get some added space.

#5 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

• 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 06:21 AM

Here's a short clip I shot yesterday after doing a little trouble shooting and found that a mouse had chewed through a wire. Wire repaired and she fired right up.