Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

My Bolens H16 Xl Story Or How I Learned To Stop Ruining My Marriage And Love The Bolens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 b2d OFFLINE  

• Member No: 1084
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:02 AM

I have a love / hate relationship with my Bolens. I love it, because it has been in the family since the late 70's and my friend's house backed-up to the plant where it was built in Port Washington. I hate it because I have spent so much time and energy on it and it continues to have problems. My wife probably hates it more than I do right now. When it runs, it makes me so happy though and I really don't have the cash to buy something else. This is why I am going to give it one more try fixing it.

This tractor belonged to my uncle who had treated it (from what I know) very well from the late 1970's to when he gave it to me about 4 years ago. My uncle had been using it at his cottage to occasionally plow, cut and launch boats. When I got it, it ran well. After the 1st year, I had to replace the solid state ignition and the battery. About 2 years ago I replaced the starter and the battery cables. 

Last fall I was having a bear of a time trying to get the thing started, and I didn't have any compression. It always took a little bit to get it started, but this was different. I took the head off and figured out that one of the valve seats was completely loose in the head. I took it to a Napa and had them put in new valve seats. I put it all back together and it was like I had a new tractor! It would start instantly; even in winter! This last winter was the first winter that I was able to use the plow attachment.

That brings us to the present. A couple of weeks back, I felt like it was running hot, and I realized that after having cleaned the carb in the fall, I didn't remember adjusting the mixture screw. I also checked the spark plug and it was black and sooty. So, the next time I was going to use it, I decided to reset the carb. I turned the screw in probably 5 full rotations before it set. I then turned it out 2 turns. It ran OK, but was loosing power under load (mower on). I tried several adjustments even going back to 5 turns out, but now it ran rough everywhere except for completely seated. I checked the air filter (new as of last fall), and there was a lot of gas on the filter and on the plate it gets sandwiched against. I tried leaving the air filter off, just to see, and shortly after, I lost compression.

After the kids were in bed one night, I opened the valve cover and noticed that the intake pushrod was unseated. I reseated it and adjusted the valves to .005 for the intake and .010 for exhaust. So this last weekend, I tried it again, but it was still hard to start and then I lost compression again. I assume that it is the pushrod again, but haven't had the time to look with all of the push mowing that I am doing!

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Is this the sign of the end? If it is toast, is there a good replacement motor that I can toss in? Will I need to cave into my wife telling me that I need to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for any help, guidance and emotional support given.

• boyscout862 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,476 Thanks
  • 17,095 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:22 AM

Welcome to GTT!

Sounds to me like you should hate the engine and not the Bolens itself :D

These Tecumseh's can be finicky. People either love them or hate them. I've never been a fan of them myself as they always seem to have problems.

I believe the valve seats were common to loosen up in these engines from what I heard from others.

Its not the end, your problem is fixable but Sounds like your valves need some attention...

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,960 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:27 AM

Brian, all I can say is, that old tractors have a soul - not as a new sold tractor from the bargain market. And most of us like tinkering. One day, when everything is running, you'll think back to the good old times - when you were tinkering on your tractor!

Sorry, I forgot  :welcometogttalk:

Edited by jd.rasentrac, May 31, 2013 - 09:28 AM.

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,515 Thanks
  • 7,378 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Welcome to GTT. Be glad you can figure it out and fix it. Relax and enjoy. Good Luck, Rick

#5 bolex OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 05:24 PM

if it backfire at an idle it's the low speed or idle circuit in the carb i have the same problem and a good carb cleaning may be just the ticket to smoother days the valve issue though could be a bent pushrod, try rolling it on a flat surface if it's straight it's good , next use a tighter clearence so the pushrod can't escape the rockerarm  . I use .004 on the intake and .006 - .007 on the exhaust because of excessive wear and don't want the valvetrain slopping around :smilewink: