Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

whats the depth of snow I could expect to plow with a small LGT-145?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 loujamy OFFLINE  

loujamy

• Member No: 1463
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:48 PM

whats the depth ( ie. 2-10 inches ) of snow I could expect to plow with a small LGT-145 14hp with or without chains.We have just a small driveway about 60 x15 ft.????

#2 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 12:48 AM

:welcometogttalk: I know nothing about fords, but that model looks to be about the same size as a newer deere a friend of mine has. I built a weight box for him and with the hydrostatic control and good technique, it sure surprized me! Do it right, push it far enugh to leave room for the next time, and 10" is probably doable. Hope this helps till the experts get online. :beerchug:

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 05:13 AM

Last year we got a wet snow that amounted to about 18" over night. My Wheel Horse 314 (also a 14 HP unit) with 140 Lbs of weight on the rears, cleated tire chains, and a 44" snow blade struggled with it, but was able to clear my driveway...which is a horseshoe around my house and a 75' leg that goes to the barn. Did have some help with shovels, but that was a very unusual amount of snow for us. We got a few more heavy snows last year of 8" to 10" and it had no problem at all with those. Weight is your friend and traction chains a definite plus, but 14 HP is more than enough power to do the job!

#4 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 05:47 AM

As the others have said you have power enough, it just has to get to the ground with the traction to use it. Weight and good chains make a HUGE difference and yes technique plays a part too.
Peter

#5 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 06:49 AM

I have plowed with a lgt 145 for 4 years now. I use tire chains and have added wieght and filled tires the last 2 years.

I have pushed 8" before. That got a little tricky at the end where it had been piled by the state snow plows. But the tractor does great. I dont think I would try it with turf tires and no chains though.

here's a few shots
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:00 AM

I've always found it to be easier to plow 10" of snow, 5" at a time. You get to plow twice that way:D, and can push it further back than if it was all 10" at once. I also put wings on my plow to help with roll-off. Found some reinforced belting and cut and bolted it on. Used some old trampoline springs behind it as support. Works fine and doesn't interfere with angling .

Edited by MH81, November 03, 2010 - 07:09 AM.

#7 DMF OFFLINE  

DMF

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1337
  • 10 Thanks
  • 285 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 07:14 AM

I've always found it to be easier to plow 10" of snow, 5" at a time.

Yup, this is the key, you need to plow with the storm and not wait until it's all over with. I had a plow on my Cub Cadet for a while when we lived at our old house...traction for me anyway, was not a really big problem but one of my problems was that the front was so light (8hp) that when the plow was angled, after it started to get heavy it would shove the front end over to the side.

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 10:17 PM

It's all about weight... as well as weight in the right places. Hang it too far out the back and you need to weigh down the front to keep it from being pushed sideways. A nice cast iron motor helps weigh down the front over a newer alloy job too.

I have tested mine out in 18" plus without even getting wheel slip. Last year, I was at maybe 350lbs at the rear, but a good 150 of that was right on top of the axle. This year it will be on the back of the axle, but pretty close. If I have enough left over, I hope to add about 50 to 75 lbs to the front end this year as well. My rear tires are loaded and chained turf's with wheel weights. The rest is in that weight box I made for the rear. In the front, I have the tri-ribs to help dig in so I am thinking that the extra weight up front will really help out in heavy wet snow.

#9 randyhob OFFLINE  

randyhob

• Member No: 1449
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted November 03, 2010 - 10:54 PM

depends on the weight (wetness) of the snow, weigh of operator, chain type, etc... adjust swath or amount of path plowed to traction obtained. sometimes reduced rear tire pressure can help

#10 64CubCadet OFFLINE  

64CubCadet

• Member No: 1242
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted November 05, 2010 - 08:46 PM

I would say from my previous experience that if you go with no chains or weight you will get stuck after getting far enough into the driveway that there is no easy way out.BTDT. Chain it up and add weight and be prepared to move more snow then you can imagine. Just remember to leave room to put snow after the next storm!

#11 loujamy OFFLINE  

loujamy

• Member No: 1463
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted November 07, 2010 - 08:51 PM

Thanks very much for all your advice,I appreciate knowing what not to do and will hopefully be properly prepared for winter.