DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 08:44 PM

I have been told by 2 or 3 people over the years that AG or Bar type tires are not suppose to have chains on them as it interferes with the action of the bars.

Is this true or false?

I've seen AG tires with chains on them, 1 of my neighbors never takes his off, leaves them on in the summer.
Just want to know about AGs and chains for winter use.

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 08:57 PM

The problem with AG's and chains, is that the chains are going to slip into the tread blocks (mostly) and not work properly. They do make chains for AG's that have rings to connect the center between the chain links. The more tire pressing against the chains, the more traction you are going to get. So a nice turf is going to plant those chains and dig in nice. The metal chain also cuts through the packed snow, and not press it down against the ground.

Also, look at a bar type AG tire.... the whole idea and direction makes you say that they would work better and have more traction if reversed. This is true...to a point. The AG tread is designed to clear the tread blocks of mud and dirt while moving forward. The angle of the tread, and the smooth square block will allow the dirt to slide out of the tire, thus giving you a clean tire to grap the dirt and pull.

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,620 Thanks
  • 3,857 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:01 PM

Well up here in Wisconsin and the ice and snow settle in you had better have chains on anything you take out of the shed. Chains work well on AG threads if you want to keep moving. No style tire and ice are comparable. I don't generally use chains on my skid steer because of the 4 wheel drive, but last December snow was wet, heavy, slick underneath, and 3 feet deep. I didn't get 6 feet out of the shop door and had to use the bucket to pry myself back and get back into the shop. OK, Round up the spare tires and rims with the chains and put on to rear of the skid steer and it was pretty much unstoppable. I use a pair of worn tires (25% thread) because the chains will chew on the tires. The chains I use have carbide on the cross links and will chew a hole in concrete. Ice does not have a pray.

Use chains and you will go most anywhere you want, unless you have a pretty drive you do not want marked up.

#4 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:28 PM

I have a mf12 that I modified to fit 26x12x12 tires because I found a deal on some carlisle super lugs at a garage sale. I leave chains on them all winter long and they work great although the chains would work better with turf tires. If you look at the picture you can see where the chains fit into the tread in spots making the chains less effective. The chains still contact the ground even where they sink into the tread and do make a huge difference, especially on ice, packed snow or slick grass or weeds. I don't have another set of 26x12x12 turfs for this tractor and wouldn't switch them anyways as they have weights on the inside and out and are loaded - a real pain to remove/install. I also use this tractor to plow gardens for people(I put an ad on craigslist). I always bring my chains when I do a job in case I need more traction. If its a first time garden I'll plow it before I till and somtimes chain at least the left tire so I can get traction in the grass. I have added a weight to my brinly plow and can get it to plow nice and deep even in new ground. I have had gardens that I couldn't plow without chains on at least the left tire, even with the added weight and ags. The tire in the furrow always bites pretty good. I don't leave the chains on in the summer because I'm usually fine without them and they don't go up metal ramps well for loading in the truck or trailer. I have another mf12 with stock sized tires that I use for snowblowing and on that tractor I switch to turfs and chains in the winter because I have them and they aren't to bad to switch. If you are going to use chains on ag tires I would make sure you get "two link spacing" chains. These have a cross chain every 2 links and will work better. I have never seen the chains with the rings connecting the cross links for garden tractors but they would work best if you could find them.
DSC01064.jpg

#5 papas yards OFFLINE  

papas yards

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1350
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:07 PM

while your talking about ag's mine are narrow 6" i have a chance to get another set with the rings to make duallies will this make differance i traction, im in alabama so hope not to worrie about snow,just want to pull a single bottom plow?? thanks for any info., jim

#6 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 07:29 PM

Welcome to the forum papas yards, glad you found us and joined up. As to duals they will give you more traction in dirt to a point. The duals will definatley help to keep you from spinning out and digging yourself a hole but some times you need to add weight also to help the tires bite. Also when plowing you normally have a single rear tire on the furrow side as that tire gets more traction from not only being in fresh dirt but a gain in traction from the tractor tilting lower on the right side and adding more weight on to that tire. To plow well almost everyone adds weights or fluid or both to the rear tires. These tractors have enough power to pull a plow but lack traction with out adding weight.

#7 papas yards OFFLINE  

papas yards

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1350
  • 1 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:24 PM

thanks mike have do have the choice of the duells or larger singles ,, papas yards

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,585 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:28 PM

I have 1 set of narrow AGs and am curious to finding out what there like in the snow, I know wide turfs even with weight are not much good without chains.
Around here all the snow plow guys who know, want the tall skinny tires on there plow trucks as apposed to the wide fat ones.

#9 jjkrjh OFFLINE  

jjkrjh

• Member No: 1171
  • 8 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:40 PM

In my case, the traction is better with chains on AG tires. With turf tires and chains, the weight is spread over a bigger footprint and more likely to spin tearing up the driveway. With the AG's and chains, there is more weight on the chains from the tire lugs/bars and spins less. Probably the same as running tall skinny tires than the wide fat tires---more weight/traction in a small area than spread out.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 10, 2010 - 08:59 PM

You'll want chains. Frustrating without them. If you put the chains on AG's, get the right ones or you'll bury the chains in the tread.

My $.02, I like turf & chains. I think they work fine.

#11 M&M13 OFFLINE  

M&M13
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1368
  • 11 Thanks
  • 159 posts

Posted November 15, 2010 - 09:10 PM

You'll want chains. Frustrating without them. If you put the chains on AG's, get the right ones or you'll bury the chains in the tread.

My $.02, I like turf & chains. I think they work fine.

:ditto:
if you check out most ag tire sellers around here they advertise chains for your ags
but i use turf & chains in the winter without a problem & save my ags for the garden work! i like the looks of the ag tire better but its garage kept most of the winter anyway but come spring gotta have it looking good so i switchem out lol!:rocker2:

#12 Vin122 OFFLINE  

Vin122

• Member No: 1414
  • 2 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted November 19, 2010 - 04:02 PM

In Western Wisconsin this past Saturday we got approx 6" of wet sloppy snow. I tried to drive my Cub Cadet 122 with Firestone Ags out of my shed and it failed very badly.

I then drove my Cub Cadet 125 with Turfs and Chains out of the shed, plowed with it, then went to my back yard and hooked onto my son's Polaris Snowmobile and pulled it around and into the shed. Pulling the snowmobile was not the easiest chore but it sure worked well.

I'm thinking if I had my chains on Ags it would have worked fine for plowing but I would have had no chance of pulling the snowmobile.

Saturday is probably the only day I will plow my driveway with chains for I have an Asphalt driveway. Plus I have a Arctic Cat 400LE ATV with a plow - its kinda fun to plow with it.

The funny thing is he(my son) just got the snowmobile ready for this winter. And on Saturday it almost started on the first pull, on the second pull the pull cord broke... Always something... It is a '97 XC600.

#13 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted November 21, 2010 - 11:33 PM

I use chains with my Ags, no problem.