• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,461 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 09:56 PM

You know if your not in a big hurry you can let winter bust them. drill your holes fill them with water and let the freeze crack them.

JD., I was going to tell him the same thing, and yes it really works.

• JD DANNELS and Rock farmer have said thanks

#17 Craig. OFFLINE  

Ronald Craig

• Member No: 1842
  • 873 Thanks
  • 757 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:08 PM

I know some people who got great recipe for stone the outcome is Tums or antacid great stuff after spicy foods lol.
  • Rock farmer said thank you

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted June 05, 2013 - 10:19 PM

Maybe on Iowa rocks! Mine just laugh at that. I've got granite. Bought some hydraulic cement to do that but I never did try it.
My father told me to start a fire over the rock. And when it's good and hot dose it with cold water. I think that's how it was done in colonial times. But, they would cook it for days before dosing it.

Do not underestimate the power of water expansion in the form of ice. ever seen a chuckhole appear in solid concrete? What other than ice expansion does that? My opinion is water seeps into the cracks freeze expand and blow out the surface.
Even in the granite mountains that there are rock slides. What besides the forces of rain, moving water and ice would break and move solid stone? I have read about the quarries of ancient Rome and how they used water freezing to break off huge blocks of stone. You mention the use of wedges to crack the stone, would not ice form a wedge? That was the way it was done until blasting and saws came into use. Some stone is still cut that way. Especially fine Marble.

Your right about the heat and water breaking stone. In fact I have seen guys weld on a concrete floor in the factory and have holes blow out of the concrete.  Actually Welding is not nearly as bad as an Oxy Acetylene Torch but I have seen both blow out.

Edited by JD DANNELS, June 06, 2013 - 08:22 AM.

#19 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,110 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted June 06, 2013 - 07:44 PM

Don't get me wrong. I know ice can be used to break stone. I'm just saying it didn't work for me. I tried one winter. As soon as it got below freezing I kept pouring water into a series of holes I had drilled in a particularly difficult piece of ledge in my front field. It did nothing. However, the next spring I used the garden hose to fill all the cracks with water and working any loose piece with a wrecking bar I was able to loosing it all up for splitting! Hydraulics, it's a wonderful thing!