daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Welcome Jim.  You have us down pretty good.  Of course photographs and details will be appreciated down the road.  I'm glad you joined.

• Sawdust said thank you

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 01:26 PM

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I'm a moderator over on http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums/ & I know how important it is to recognize folks with a warm welcome, the willingness to help, & making folks feel a part of the family. Thanks again.

Now the good stuff. I bought this tractor back in the late eighties for $500. I had just previously bought 9 acres & needed something bad to cut about 3 acres 2-3 times a month. Being old school & appreciating the quality for old things buying something new never crossed my mind. I found this on Craigslist & long story short the guy lived just 3 sections down from me & became a good friend. The only thing I did was cleaned it up,replaced all the belts, replaced two bearings on the mower deck, had the seat reupholstered & made the lift on the back. I used this for about nine years as is until we relocated & sold the property. We had to move to the city to help take care of inlaws & I just stored it until now. I just jumped on the internet & found GTtalk & really got inspired to do something I never ever had time to do was to restore.

The only problem I had was the out put shaft on the Hydro tranny leaking. The previous owner told me he replaced the shaft seal & it worked for awhile then started leaking again. I took the tranny out & noticed the shaft was nicked in a few places where he took the seal out. I took it apart & slightly sanded & polished the shaft & put a new seal on it but again it still leaked. I'm thinking two possibilities, the shaft needs to be replaced or its not running true because of slop in the bearings. I have been told some play is OK I'm not sure on that or if so how much is OK. 

I will begin soon taking everything apart & starting my restore. I'm going crazy looking at all the beautiful machines on here but I know I have a lot of dirt, grease & sand ahead of me. This of coarse is a MF12 with a Hydrostatic tranny, I have a geared starter, SSI, & a fluid reservoir under the seat. My serial # plate is worn too much to read the numbers so I don't know what year...I'm thinking early 70's ???? My deck I believe is beyond repair because of so many rusted holes in the deck...I always had trouble with the lead roller wanting to bend down because of the amount of rust in that area.

My plan is dismantle everything, clean, remove rust, fill pitted areas, prime & paint original colors. Because of your info I have found replacement decals, the hood trim I need & the steering wheel center trim. I'm also thinking about an exhaust stack as well like the ones I have seen on here. Right now the only questions I have is your thoughts on the shaft. Has anyone replaced the serial # plates & is there a serial # else where I can find. What is the difference between the white & red SSI decal & the black & chrome decal on the engine shroud. 

MF3_zpsc74ee946.jpg

MF2_zpse7bc7fd7.jpg

MF8_zpsa2571785.jpg

MF14_zpsd1a437f5.jpg

MF13_zps46584314.jpg

MF15_zps86bb8de3.jpg

MF7_zpsf866b6f2.jpg

Please any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for viewing!

Jim 

• MH81, HowardsMF155 and Newpaws493 have said thanks

#18 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 02:49 PM

Jim, welcome to GTTalk.  You have a great machine there and I look forward to seeing the restore.  I haven't had to do anything about the hydrostatic shaft, so I can't help you there.  What I found on two of mine is that the "O" rings around the forward/reverse control shaft were bad.

• Sawdust said thank you

#19 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hi Jim, Glad you decided to join us.  How much play does the shaft have?  Maybe some Pic's would help to figure out the problem.

• Sawdust said thank you

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hi Jim, Glad you decided to join us.  How much play does the shaft have?  Maybe some Pic's would help to figure out the problem.

Thanks Howard & Bill. Once I get the sheet metal off I'm going to take the engine off & PW the bottom. I'll take some pics then & post them before I dismantle the tranny. I also forgot to mention it's a Sundstrand model #902050 serial #01-HA 34905 if that helps anyone.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:55 PM

I have a MF12H too, but mine isn't nearly as nice as yours.image.jpg
  • Sawdust said thank you

#22 Short_Circuit OFFLINE  

Short_Circuit
  • Member No: 35188
  • 72 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:57 PM

:wave: Hello and welcome! Lots of good people here ready to help. 

Welcome to the madness

I wondered why I didnt think I'd have a problem fitting in.... :rolling:

• MH81 and Sawdust have said thanks

#23 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,869 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Welcome to GTTalk Jim. 

ENJOY!

• Sawdust said thank you

#24 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:44 AM

Cool tractor, should look nice when ya get it done.

Find the numbers of the engine tins, should be stamped on there somewhere, then post them. The serial # on the engine will give a date of productions an dwe can maybe ball park year of tractor.

Depending on where you live in Cincy, we maybe close neighbors :smilewink:

• Sawdust said thank you

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments I will be continuing my up dates over in http://gardentractor...f-12-rebirthed/