• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 09:15 PM

It's funny how even when your not looking for an old garden tractor they have a way of finding you.  Well this old Jacobsen crossed my path a few days ago and I felt the need to give it a new home.  It seems to be pretty much original as far as I can tell.  I was told it runs good and Grandpa used it every year since he bought it to plow snow.  I will say I don't know squat about it and haven't yet even tried to start it.  I did look around a bit online but haven't found much info on it. I am thinking it was made sometime in the mid sixties. Are these things hard to find?  What are my chances of finding a good mowing deck for it?   Thanks in advance for any Info you GT experts can share with me about this old machine.

Jack..

big jake 008.JPG

big jake 009.JPG

big jake 010.JPG

big jake 011.JPG

big jake 012.JPG

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, tinbender7 and 1 other said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Jack, Kohler didn't start building K301 12HP engines until 1967, I think. So i would say it's a late 60's Jac.. They are a great GT and Jac., used that same GT for Ford for several years up until 1983 or 84 if I remember correctly. Good Luck with it and I think you'll like it.

It looks to be in GREAT shape !! :thumbs:

• hamman and Jack have said thanks

#3 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:11 PM

Looks like a great Jacobsen. It is missing the usual battery cover and PTO handle.The battery cove is very hard to find. And so is the PTO handle and the spring clip that holds it on.

I'm leaning more to it being a 1970 atm. My 1200 doesn't have the support bracket above the PTO and it is a 1969, I know the bracket was added around 70. But if you get us the numbers on the tractor id tag and the numbers off the K301 we can find the year for you.

The decks are hard to find in decent shape, the 42" is an aluminum one and a lot of them have been repaired if you do find one. Ebay they usually list for around $250.00 in not the greatest condition. The smaller square steel decks are also hard to find. If you do find one make sure it has all the mounting hardware.

If it has been setting outside, be sure to check the gear oil in the trans. I have seen 2 so far that were full of water. the cause in these cases were a roll pin up near the shifter ball that was sheared off on one side and it allowed rain to get in the trans.

A lot of the parts are interchangeable between the Ford 100 and 120 and the Jacobsen 1000.

New Holland has a few odd ball parts left. Like the PTO clutch disk. The majority of parts you will have better luck finding through a Site sponsor or Ebay. 

I will try and help with any questions or problems you may encounter. I wish I wasn't so tired right now as I am sure I am forgetting something?

Anyway Congrats on the Jac and good luck :thumbs:

• MH81, Jack and Dwight68 have said thanks

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,289 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 05:32 AM

Nice looking GT . I'm sure you are going to enjoy this one.

• Jack said thank you

#5 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:43 AM

My Ford 120 we established is most likely a 1968 and it has the electric pto clutch...was that (as opposed to the manual clutch) optional all along or was that a year based thing?
Btw, nice looking Jac! I love my 120 and it's essentially the same tractor...

Edited by Walkinman1, May 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM.

• Jack said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:55 AM

Depending on the model #, it could be earlier, Chris. There is a 53050 and a 53066 that it could be. The 53066 is a '68 year model. I don't know if the electric PTO was optional or not when they first came out.

• chris m and Jack have said thanks

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Jack, congratulations of finding a decent looking 1200 Jacobsen.  It should be a good strong GT for you.  

• Jack said thank you

#8 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. I tinkered with it a bit tonight and with a jump and a shot of carb cleaner it fired right up.  I ran it around the yard a little.   I'm not real sure whats up with the trans it seems to work ok but was kinda hard to figure out where the gears are located.  Whats up with that lockout thing on the shifter plate?  I am not real sure what I will do with it.  I guess I will just add to my collection.   Thanks again,  Jack..

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:22 PM

My 1000 doesn't have the lockout plate, but I have to assume it's for a bulldog low gear.  Mine is hard to find the gears also....shifter seems awfully loose.

• Jack said thank you

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:26 PM

The lockout plate is to prevent you from accidentally grabbing first gear. The detent for second gear on mine seems worn out as it's finicky to get it into that gear, the rest of them are pretty easy tho.
  • Jack said thank you

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Jack what are you doing here in the Ford/Jacobsen forum- your supposed to be in the Bush Hog section:-)

Just kidding, nice looking Jacobsen! I have always liked their look too! Congrats on the find!
  • Jack said thank you

#12 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:36 PM

Well Sacsr, I wasn't really looking for it.  It kinda found me.   I am a sucker for about any vintage, orphan or wierd old machine. I am not sure just why but I seem to be collecting tractors from the 1960's.  I didn't really plan for it but it is happening. Being a mechanic by trade and child of the early fifties I grew up with a love for quality built machines that would last forever and were repairable when something did wear out.  I am sure you and the other members here know just  what I am talking about.  I think we all suffer from the same ailment.  And there is no cure.  But we can treat it and make it a little better.  So go buy and old tractor and call me in the morning.          :thumbs:

• chris m said thank you

#13 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Glad to here you got it running! The lock out as said above serves 2 purposes, one it prevents accidental shifting into granny gear. and 2 it acts as a stop so you can find 2nd gear easier.

From what I have seen so far. the looseness in the shifter is from either the roll pin being broken, or the shifter being bent at the bottom. Also if it looks like the tin around the shifter needs to be moved because the shifter hits it while going into gear, then the shifter shaft is most likely bent.

• tinbender7 and Jack have said thanks

#14 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 10:11 PM

I can definitely understand it finding you rather than you looking for it.....I find myself looking in every yard, barn, shed, hedge row,  etc when ever I am out and about. I definitely think it is a disease.......curable only by finding the next deal. I was just picking on you.....the green big tractor in your avatar was a sure sign you liked more than one type.

I wish I had a place and money to store more of them, like candy, I would have one of every flavor.  Look forward to seeing the Jacobsen going!

• Jack said thank you

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 04:32 AM

Glad you got it running! That is sounding more like a 53066 (or it could still be a 53050) tractor, '68 model. I'll send a PM with a manual for you to look at.

• Jack said thank you