33 replies to this topic

#16 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:59 PM

Ryan, these are the snakes I grew up with.  It is perhaps not fair to compare them to snakes in the US, but my reactions stem from lessons learned in childhood.  I don't go out of my way to hunt and kill snakes, but I will not have them around my house with my kids either.  Check out my "rogues gallery" from childhood.

4353087_f520.jpg

Spitting Cobra-Reports from people I trust tell of venom placement directly on windows and in one case a pair of glasses.  Keep well away.

black-mamba_767_600x450.jpg

Black Mamba.  One of the deadliest snakes in the world, highly aggressive.  The "arrow" shape of the head is not very emphasized. 

800px-Eastern_Green_Mamba.jpg

Green Mamba.  Much shyer than its black cousin, but rather poisonous in its own right.  "Arrow" shape of head not very pronounced.

Boomslang.jpg

Boomslang.  The tree snake.  A timid snake, bites to humans generally occur when people attempt to handle the snake.  Potentially deadly hemotoxin.

Now, not every venemous snake hid its identity like the ones mentioned above.  The puff adder was also indigenous to the area.  A young friend of mine was bitten by a night adder, and I came within a hairs breadth of being bitten myself.  

220px-Kopf_einer_Puffotter.JPG

#17 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:35 AM

Every year at Boy Scout long term summer camp the staff collects and takes care of any snake found in camp.  1800 boys a session, six sessions per summer, that is a lot of potential snake encounters in the woods of Boy Scout camp (H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation), which is located close to the  Ozarks along the Osage River near Oceola, Missouri   Lots of hills and hollers and rocks and creeks and fields and so on.    The camping areas (three of them)  take up about 600 acres of the 4600 acres of the Scout camp.  The staff only bothers with the snakes seen around the camping areas.  They do it for merit badge work and so the boys aren't harmed by the snakes, but mostly so the snakes are not harmed by the boys.   On Family visit day each session they allow visitors to see them too.  At the end of the summer after the last session they turn all the snakes loose back where they were found.  ALOT of copperheads are usually collected, along with a few coachwhips, garter snakes, black snakes, etc.  And always at least 2 or three rattlers.  The hospital in Oceola is not a real big hospital, but they are experts at taking care of snake bite!  Boys are curious, and at least 1 or 2 end up at the hospital for it every summer. Usually it is from trying to pick up a copperhead...we tell them over and over if they see one in the path to let an adult leader know so they can contact the staff to take care of it, but.....boys do not always listen!

Edited by James henry, May 30, 2013 - 07:44 AM.

• LilysDad said thank you

#18 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Now, not every venemous snake hid its identity like the ones mentioned above.  The puff adder was also indigenous to the area.

Just so there is no mistake; in America the harmless Hog-Nosed Snake is also called a Puff Adder. I had one for a short time in camp. :D  They make great pets.

Edited by LilysDad, May 30, 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#19 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Ryan,
Isn't there something with the eyes too? As in the copperhead has "cat" eyes and the milk has round?

:D

if you look in the last picture up top, you can see the eye slits, most posionous snakes have them, but I'm telling you right now.....I am not getting close enough to make a posionous determination on what kind of eyes it's got :D

#20 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:57 AM

Well.. I guess yesterday when I said that I have not see a snake around my house I should have knocked on wood. Every morning I wake up and look outside to see what kind of wide life is stirring. Today I looked out and seen a Red Eared Slider Turtle making its way into the back yard. I figured since my little girl has never seen a turtle I'd make it a educational moment. I went outside and picked up the turtle and moved it to a flat patio area in our back yard. Of course the turtle stayed in its shell the whole time. I picked up my little girl an stood behind this wood pile hoping that she would see the turtle out of its shell. While standing there my cats kept trying to get inside the wood pile and thy would not stop. When I looked inside I seen the beginning of a snake skin and the snake was still crawling out of it. Once I seen this I picked my little girl up and came inside. I have not had the opportunity to teach her about snakes and she likes to put her hands on everything. I have showed her pictures and tried to teach her but I'd rather find one outside and teach her that way. Then she can see which side bites, how you know they are about to strike, and most of all leave a snake alone!

Edited by SearsYellow, May 30, 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#21 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:59 AM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21369922320.079231.jpg

It wouldn't allow me to post this while editing in the last post. This is the turtle we seen.
  • TAHOE said thank you

#22 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Steve too bad you weren't here today we found a 5 foot long black snake while we were working. I put it in a bucket to show Steph when she got home and before i could cover the bucket it was gone and under my shop. Maybe it will eat the mice that are under there.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#23 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:00 AM

That looks like a decent size turtle...??? We have two yellow belly sliders, my son is a reptile freak. just caught a baby snapper last week, it better not get out of it's tank :(  

#24 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 10:05 AM

If you want to know what a snake is, let it bite the neighbor-that-you-don't-like, then take BOTH of them (preferably alive...) to the hospital. They should be able to find out what it was......... :thumbs:

I suppose I need to add a disclaimer that I don't really suggest this......... :wave:

#25 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 06:53 PM

I better not comment on this thread. Ryan will not be happy.

#26 freebird OFFLINE  

freebird
  • Member No: 10733
  • 0 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:25 AM

All we have around here are garter snakes and I am happy with that!

#27 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 12:56 PM

When we get all the good out of this thread we can start on spiders. Folks always talk about this gi-normous spider(not a turantula) they've seen and I would like to see a picture of one.

#28 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 03:52 PM

Well, isn't this news bit timely!

http://newyork.newsd...-park-1.5386402

#29 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 04:40 PM

It doesn't say what his thumb was doing by that snake. Obviously he thought it was a milk snake. 

#30 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:09 PM

It doesn't say what his thumb was doing by that snake. Obviously he thought it was a milk snake. 

I trying to picture how his left thumb would be in striking distance of a copperhead while running a weed whacker. :(