Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Brand New Tractor Just Died... Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 camperbc OFFLINE  

• Member No: 30330
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hi again everyone! I can't emphasize just how much I appreciate so many of you stepping up to the plate to help me out... I don't know what to say except thank-you so much. This is what makes these forums so great; that regular people are so willing to help other regular people at the drop of a hat. Well, my hat is off to each and every one of you!

Today my spinal issues had eased off a little, and I was finally able to get back up and about, if only for a short while. First, I went to the neighbor's house to borrow his battery charger, as I was almost certain it was a weak/dead battery. But after an hour of charging, still just a click. My heart sank. So I next grabbed the schematic that came with the tractor, and (knowing zip about electrical stuff) was somehow able to begin tracing the current from the battery back through to the starter, and everything in between. Well, I soon discovered that the plug (for lack of a better, more technical term!) on the backside of the PTO knob, was not pushed in completely/tightly; in fact was sitting out about 1/4" and quite wiggly. So I pushed the plug all the way back on, and it was then very firmly attached to the back of the knob connections. And I thought hmmm... and turned the key, and my spirits soared. It was music to my ears to hear that 24hp Kohler Courage V-Twin purring as quiet and smooth as can be! Amazing how something so small and simple could have possibly caused me so much grief since yesterday afternoon. In hindsight, I suppose that plug had never been pushed all the way into place at the factory, as it is now almost impossible to pull off again; so is not likely to happen again any time soon.

I stewed about this all last night, and even a good chunk of today, thinking the worst and wondering what I could do about it, especially with us being completely outside of any Sears service area. (we're on a small, very remote island, an hour-long ferry ride off another island) Unfortunately, this is the price one pays to live in such a beautiful and unique part of the world... everything's great until something breaks down, then you very quickly find yourself in a bind!

Anyhow, all's well and ends well, and I can't thank you all enough! I posted my problem on the three tractor forums that I regularly frequent, and in all three, folks jumped at the opportunity to help out. You have all lifted my spirits and renewed my faith in mankind, I kid you not!

So I will copy and paste this note into the other two forums as well, as everyone was so very helpful.

Many thanks again,

Edited by camperbc, May 30, 2013 - 02:29 PM.

• MH81 and GT5k6spd have said thanks

#17 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 03:02 PM

as always, 90% of failures are due to something stupid easy to cure!  

btw, BEAUTIFUL images on www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com!  

Edited by GT5k6spd, May 30, 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#18 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,722 Thanks
  • 28,356 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Glad it was a connections issue that was easily found.  (And don't sell yourself short on the troubleshooting... YOU found it!)

• olcowhand said thank you

#19 Golden Hurricane OFFLINE  

Golden Hurricane
  • Member No: 38187
  • 16 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted June 13, 2013 - 03:30 PM

CamperBC: I lived on Whidbey Island, Washington for more than 7 years and living on an island forces us to become more responsible and at the same time we learn to appreciate help from others as we have to 'fix what is broken'...'cause you can't cart the darn thing over to a repair shop! Great post & glad you discovered the source of the issue.

#20 UncleWillie ONLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,504 Thanks
  • 7,630 posts

Posted June 14, 2013 - 07:26 PM

Glad you got it fixed. It always seems that the simple problems are the hardest ones to diagnose. Glad it was a cheap repair.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,254 Thanks
  • 29,702 posts

Posted June 15, 2013 - 05:39 PM

It always seems that the simple problems are the hardest ones to diagnose. Glad it was a cheap repair.

Yep, like the old saying, "can't see the forest for the trees".  We're usually looking way too deep in the woods to see it's a simple "bush around the edge".  We all do that!