Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Brand New Tractor Just Died... Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 camperbc OFFLINE  

camperbc
  • Member No: 30330
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:59 PM

As many of you know, I recently bought a brand-spanking-new Craftsman PYT9000 24hp (Kohler "Courage" engine) tractor with EZ-Drive Hydostatic transmission and 46" mower deck. Today I cut my lawn for the second time since I bought it. Everything was going fine, then I turned it off to talk with my neighbor. It may be worth mentioning here that I inadvertently still had the mower blades engaged when I shut off the key; not sure if this is a serious faux pas or not?

So anyway, a minute later I went to restart the engine, and all I get is silence. This is when I realized I had left the mower engaged, so I turned the knob off (to disengage the blades) and now all I get when I turn the key is a click.

The battery should obviously be fully charged, so, is the main issue the fact that I forgot to stop the blades prior to stopping the engine? And if so, what do I do about it now?

I must add that I reside on a very remote island in the North Atlantic (off the coast of Newfoundland) and thus am unable to simply have a service guy look at it. There's no service shop to go to, nor anyone to make a house call, so I would appreciate any/all advice/suggestions you can provide, to assist me in getting my beloved tractor back up and running as soon a possible. In fact I'd be eternally grateful!!

Here's a pic of my tractor.

Thanks,
  Glen

DSC02378a1000_zps4d7aef98.jpg

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:12 PM

... The battery should obviously be fully charged ...

Step 1: Don't assume anything.  Just because the tractor is new & started earlier does not mean the battery was properly serviced before delivery.  Get a meter & check the battery voltage with the key in "START".  You could also try jump starting it with you car / truck battery.

That said, I would pull the spark plug and see if it will turn over.  If it spits out fuel, you may have flooded it.  

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:15 PM

If you are getting a click, and that is coming from the starter relay solenoid, then either your battery is low, or you have a bad connection on the cable from the relay to the starter, OR the starter itself is faulty, which is not likely.  I'm figuring the relay or connection.

Your relay/solenoid should look very similar to this one.  Yours may have only one of the smaller posts at the bottom.

Many times they stick, and you can tap on them with a wrench & they will contact.  Have someone turn the key to cranking position when you tap it.

relay.JPG

• Arti said thank you

#4 camperbc OFFLINE  

camperbc
  • Member No: 30330
  • 13 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:58 PM

I want to thank you both for such a prompt reply; very much appreciated! I am currently flat on my back in bed with my ongoing spinal issues; (a long story, but is the reason I bought the tractor, versus using a push mower) If I am well enough to get back up and about by tomorrow, I'll first check the battery, and if it's OK, then will look at the relay/solenoid. I confess to knowing nothing about this sort of stuff... I don't even own a test meter. So I really appreciate having folks in a forum who can work through this with me. Thanks again!

Glen

• MH81 said thank you

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:59 PM

Before you get too excited!! Did you turn off the PTO switch? It's a safety thing and kills the ignition when you get off and it won't start.

Even my old 318 won't start with the pto engaged.  I'm betting if you shut off the PTO you will be good to go!  And You have to be on the seat to start it. If that is the case don't feel bad! I once towed a Dirt Bike 3 miles home becauser I forgot to check the kill switch.

If that is not the case, then look at the fuse that directs power to the solenoid.  Everything since the late 90's has a fuse in the ignition.

My old Murray will pop that fuse a couple times every season and it does nothing till I replace it.

• GT5k6spd said thank you

#6 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 29, 2013 - 03:00 PM

You say you stopped for a minute, with the PTO engaged, But how long was it? If you started out with an uncharged battery, that clutch would have made short order of that battery. I vote low Battery.

Edited by gravely-power, May 29, 2013 - 03:01 PM.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#7 83MALIBU OFFLINE  

83MALIBU

• Member No: 1750
  • 40 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 03:29 PM

MY 1046 Cub Cadet with the kohler didi the same thing. I charged the batteryand it seems to be fine.

#8 GT5k6spd OFFLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 03:57 PM

don't think i'm crazy, but it could be as stupid as this:    a similar thing happened to me.   the headlight wire fused to the hot exhaust pipe and cut the engine dead.   after i fixed it, it was still 'dead'.    until after 20 minutes (!), i discovered a FUSE!   and of course, it was blown.   20 amps.   stole one from the beemer, and that, as they say, was that.

#9 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:07 PM

I was thinking Fuse too.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:09 PM

I was thinking Fuse too.

But he's getting a "click", so the starter should kick in.  The only thing that can click is the solenoid when turning the key to cranking position.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:15 PM

But he's getting a "click", so the starter should kick in.  The only thing that can click is the solenoid when turning the key to cranking position.

Yeah, the click should be the solenoid... but if it was a low batt, the solenoid should start "click, click,click" ing shouldn't it?

I'm starting to think it should be a bad connection... Maybe even a ground problem at the engine.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:17 PM

Yeah, the click should be the solenoid... but if it was a low batt, the solenoid should start "click, click,click" ing shouldn't it?

I'm starting to think it should be a bad connection... Maybe even a ground problem at the engine.

That's what I'm thinking, connection on a cable, OR inside the solenoid itself.  New means nothing these days.  The solenoid may be crappy.

#13 GT5k6spd ONLINE  

GT5k6spd
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31018
  • 37 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:43 PM

guess we'll have to wait til tomorrow.

#14 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:47 PM

My small deere also won't run with tractor in reverse sometimes. Has a switch to shut off when I go to reverse while pto is on, like when mowing, and have to push a by-pass button to do reverse move. But think the Neutral button would take care of this problem after thinking a moment.

#15 Arti OFFLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 07:04 PM

I agree.. If it was a safety or a fuse then you wouldn't get the solenoid to click..

I suspect that the battery has enough charge left in it to energize the solenoid but not to run the starter motor. Actually if you wait over nite the battery may recover enough to start the mower, if not a few minutes with a battery charger or jumper cables will more than likely get it going again.