7 replies to this topic

#1 David H. (CO) OFFLINE  

David H. (CO)
  • Member No: 36756
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Good Morning,

I have a Bolens 1050 that runs great, except for 2 things: One-if I'm mowing for much more than an hour it stumbles badly rand refuses to run.  It basically is boiling the gas in the plastic fuel tank.  Any ideas on how to solve this problem, is it simply running too rich/lean?
2nd problem is the throttle cable seems to do very little anymore-it's pretty much running wide open or barely at all.  I'm not sure how to adjust/clean the governor-is that my problem?
Thanks,

David

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:46 AM

David, Welcome to GTtalk. I don't know what your engine is, but I assume it's a Wisconsin. One of the Bolens guys will be along shortly to help you out.

#3 Justin2655 OFFLINE  

Justin2655
  • Member No: 11487
  • 204 Thanks
  • 148 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 12:13 PM

If I remember right but I could be wrong, both of your adjustments on your carb turn all the way in but make sure you don't break the needle when screwing them in, just real light till you bottom out, then turn them both out 1 and a half turns out, I believe that is the presetting, for the Wisconsin if that's what yours is there's a lot of bolens guys who have helped me out, very informative

Edited by Justin2655, May 29, 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#4 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 12:26 PM

Welcome to GTtalk! 

If you could tell us what engine is in it, that would be helpful. There probably is a manual for your engine in the manuals section of the forum to get the proper adjustments for the carb and governor.

#5 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,337 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:35 PM

I had a problem where my 1050 governor would get out of adjustment after a while.I would reset it and it would be fine for a bit then it would do it again.

I ended up replacing the little bolt and nut with a stainless bolt and new Nyloc nut.and It hasn't slipped since.

Sounds like you are running a bit on the lean side or your spark timing is off a bit.Clean your points and re-gap them to .020 and give your carb a good cleaning or rebuild it if you think it needs it.

What for muffler and exhaust manifold do you have on it? Stock header with pepper shaker muffler?

Plastic fuel tank on a 1050? Original metal tank must of got a hole in and was replaced by a later G series tank.

Pics? lol

Welcome to GTtalk      :welcometogttalk: :wewantpics:

#6 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:58 PM

What for muffler and exhaust manifold do you have on it? Stock header with pepper shaker muffler?

Plastic fuel tank on a 1050? Original metal tank must of got a hole in and was replaced by a later G series tank.

Pics? lol

Welcome to GTtalk      

Maybe if the tank has been modified there is too much heat under the hood for it? Can you actually see the gas boiling in the tank? For mixture to make the gas boil in the tank, it would have to be running super lean and cause excessive overheating of the engine. Is your shroud and fins clean so it isn't overheating? You may need to make a heat shield around the tank.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#7 David H. (CO) OFFLINE  

David H. (CO)
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thanks all!  I'll have to take a look in the morning to confirm what engine I have-I know it's a Wisconsin 10hp something or other-it's allegedly the one that came with the tractor in 1967, I purchased it from the original owners son.  I've apparently forgotten since I can't come up with an answer tonight.  I'll try the carb adjustments, that's how I set it years ago, but haven't had to mess with it since.  Something may have just rattled around a bit and lost adjustment.  Yes, the original metal tank that I have on my spare 1054 tractor doesn't match the current plastic one on my running 1050 tractor so I've assumed it's been replaced due to rust or the slightly larger capacity somewhere along the way.

Yes, I can actually see the gas boiling in the tank.  As far as "exhaust manifold" goes, it's a 90degree elbow hooked to an aftermarket muffler I found at Napa, much quieter than the stock pepper shaker style.

Have a good evening all,

David

#8 David H. (CO) OFFLINE  

David H. (CO)
  • 1 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Sorry for the delay, the engine on the tractor is a Wisconsin tra-10D, and yes the cooling fins are not clogged up.  I'm currently away on a work trip for the next 3 weeks so am in no hurry to worry about the remedy.  I'll be pestering again starting on June 22nd when I return back home.