• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Donnie OFFLINE  

Donnie
  • Member No: 28291
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I know a guy that has some snow plows for GTs laying around. He told me to come over and see if I could find something . what size would be perfect for a mf 16 ? If there small I thought I would take two !! lol.

• larryd said thank you

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 09:25 AM

As wide as the tires is good, but somewhere from 48"- 54" would be ideal.

• larryd and Donnie have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:19 AM

If you look at a blade angle of 30 degrees when plowing a 48" blade will cover about 41.5" of wheel width. A 54" will cover about 47".  If you get a lot of heavy snow or have a steep hill to plow you may want to stay with a narrower blade as long as it still covers the rear wheels. The MF16 should be able to push a 54 blade with some weight on the back.

• bgkid2966, larryd and Donnie have said thanks

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 12:11 PM

:iagree:  Pushing heavy snow takes a lot of horse power and traction. It's much easier to take two passes with a smaller blade than have a blade too big to push at all.

• larryd and Donnie have said thanks

#5 Donnie OFFLINE  

Donnie
  • Member No: 28291
  • 40 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:50 PM

does the blade height make a difference ? I would think that the snow would just roll along and get pushed to the side ,assuming the blade was angled. I have the 520 snow blower , I just need to hook it up and grease it. I havent ever tried it out.

• larryd said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 10:17 AM

If you can get enough speed then light snow will roll off the blade. Heavy, wet snow tends to pile up in front of the blade and with the blade angled it will push the front end sideways. If your blade won't cover your wheels when angled you end up driving over snow that the blade missed and that limits your traction. So too narrow is not good for that reason and too wide is bad if you don't have the traction to push the extra weight. I also find that having properly adjusted skid shoes helps a lot as it keeps the blade from digging in to the driveway which robs power. This is mostly a problem early in the year when there isn't any frost in the driveway.

• Donnie said thank you

#7 chiefgoodman OFFLINE  

chiefgoodman

• Member No: 6021
  • 36 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 09:08 PM

How about taking the two small plows and making a V plow?

• Donnie and OkieGt have said thanks

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I ran a 48" blade on my 12G for a couple years before I had the snow-thrower.  The 48" did work, but in really wet heavy stuff, it did like to push to the side. A 48" blade would be easier to find, and work great with the MF16.  Traction is not the end game for a plow, you need to over come the light front end.  Too big of a blade and you will just be pushed sideways on the front end with wet heavy stuff.  Although, if you hand fabricate the mounting system, you could design something to hold a few small suitcase weights on the front end!

• OkieGt said thank you

#9 OkieGt OFFLINE  

OkieGt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 36782
  • 1,427 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:26 AM

How about taking the two small plows and making a V plow?

Works good on the 1st pass, or 1 pass needs, not sure how well it would work if you had to make multiple passes, one reason you dont see many V plows, except on trains

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 10:01 AM

Works good on the 1st pass, or 1 pass needs, not sure how well it would work if you had to make multiple passes, one reason you dont see many V plows, except on trains

Ditto on that.  I made a V plow for my Gravely.  Very useful for clearing sidewalks in one pass, tractor didn't want to steer to the side like with a solid angled blade.  BUT, for clearing something wider like a driveway, the solid angled blade works better.

• Donnie and OkieGt have said thanks

#11 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Two small plows and some creativity could net you a v-plow like they make for pickup trucks...movable! Then you get a v, straight (or angled) and a scoop blade all in one!
  • Donnie said thank you