#1 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 08:06 AM

We all knew that is was in the wind but emissions controls on OPE will begin to show up on some 2011 items, according to this report.

Lawn and Garden (Small Gasoline Equipment) | Nonroad Engines, Equipment and Vehicles | US EPA

While this doesn't have any effect on the collector/restorer hobby, it does matter to some of the members who intend to buy some new equipment next year.

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 08:18 AM

Haven't the EPA been regulating some OPE like chainsaws for a couple years now? Are they starting to extend it to more equipment. For example my Stihl 362 is what they call a strato saw which uses the flywheel fan to push more air into the cylinder and help purge the burnt gases to clean the emissions.

#3 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 08:33 AM

Haven't the EPA been regulating some OPE like chainsaws for a couple years now? Are they starting to extend it to more equipment. For example my Stihl 362 is what they call a strato saw which uses the flywheel fan to push more air into the cylinder and help purge the burnt gases to clean the emissions.

The days of the 2 stroke engine are numbered. Catalytic converters on the exhaust systems are imminent and I suspect that fuel tanks will no longer be allowed to vent to the atmosphere. Who knows how far California may go. Perhaps everyone will have to submit their OPE to annual emissions tests in order to get a certificate that would allow you to use it. That state is the driving force behind all of this.

#4 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 10:05 AM

The days of the 2 stroke engine are numbered.

:mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry:

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,602 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 11:35 AM

The emissions from small engines is about equal to blaming ozone damage on cow farts. Totally ludicrous!

#6 harrycu OFFLINE  

harrycu

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1397
  • 4 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 03:20 PM

The emissions from small engines is about equal to blaming ozone damage on cow farts. Totally ludicrous!

I know you're serious and this is a serious subject, but that remark just cracked me up.

#7 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 03:42 PM

The EPA has been involved for several years. Our neighbor state of California started an emissions restriction program in 1995, and in order to sell equipment in that state, manufacturers had to comply with their standards. The EPA's edicts basically mimic those of California but are generally a few years behind.

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted November 02, 2010 - 04:24 PM

There are quite a few chain saws with catalytic converters in the mufflers already. There are many bigger emission makers out there that need to be controlled rather then little ope equipment that barely gets used.

Heaven for big they go after the big companies throwing millions of tons of pollutants in the air each year just because they fatten the congressman's pocketbook.

#9 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted November 13, 2010 - 09:00 PM

Friends, we have let this happen by not really paying attention to what the Washington crowd is doing, We made a start NOV.2 now don't forget 2012.

Just my opinion. george