Garden Tractor Forums banner

How Do You Steer On Turf?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  JD DANNELS 
#1 ·
Looking for front tire suggestion on the Case 222 for mowing on mild to moderate side slopes. Yes, I know that can be sketchy, but not if you have the right setup. On the back I am going to run turf savers with the outside sidewalls set just inside my mower deck width (44 inch deck). But on the front I have the standard issue for a Case... almost racing slick type of rib tire. I want a more aggressive steer tire in order to "stick" to the slope and be able to steer up the slope. If it were my turf I would run the snow hog tires but, it isn't my turf so I don't want to tear up the turf too badly. I see the HDAP's but I don't trust them being designed around the JD's, plus the price. But I want a tire somewhat self cleaning, but not a lug tire. Ok, I am down to an X-Trac now aren't I? Or is there something else I haven't found?? Suggestions???

#3 ·
I don't know what you mean by HDAP's being designed around the JD's. And even if they were, why would that be a factor if the performance is good. From what I've seen they are the best compromise out there for an all purpose tire. What you need is good lateral grip to prevent sliding on slopes. Turf Savers are not a good choice IME. The blockier tread of something like a turf master is much better at resisting sliding. If you run them with the pressure lowered to the point where you get some squat in the tire you will get excellent traction in most cases. You might also want to add some weight to the front wheels if a rear weight bias is the issue. The HDAP's are very grippy, ask anyone who has them, but they are also pricey.

Reactions: larryd
#4 ·
Casey if you remember how steep the sloop is in front of my garage , I cut that all sideways using the JD 318 , with Carisle rib tires , these are different the what came new on it those had sharp edges that would dig into the grass while turning too fast on the hills , these really don't slide but at the very steep section I will keep my foot on the brake on wheel at the top just enough to keep it from spinning .

Attachments

#5 ·
Tri-ribs on the front, which I have on my 316, do not disturb my yard. I also have bar tires on rear, which are Goodyear's 26x12x12, and are a close rib design, which also ride nice and hold the ground. And I also have bar tires on my Grasshopper year round as well. I also included a picture of the HDAP style tires for reference. Go check out "Miller Tire" for sizes and pricing too.

Attachments

#6 ·
The Vredestein V-61 tires that Miller carries are a good compromise between tri-ribs and the Carlisle ribs.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

Wheel Tire Tractor Vehicle Automotive tire

No experience with the Kendas but I did come across them when looking for rear hdaps for the TB pictured above. I didn't realize they make them in front sizes. Definitely a cheaper alternative to consider when looking at the All-Trails.

Attachments

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have the stock turfs front and rear on my 318. Like Al said on the bank in front of the house I have to ride the high side brake to keep it tracking straight. On the HDAP tires, That is a JD marketing term, I think it is "Heavy Duty All Purpose". I'm pretty sure they are made by Carlisle. And Carlisle sells them under two names, one is Field Trax and I forget the other. If I were to replace my Turfs they are what I would get. Or maybe not, I had one go flat the sidewall broke nad pinched the tube in the middle of mowing a couple weeks ago and put on whatever the Farm Supply had on hand? I really like the looks of the V61 .

I think any tire will tear turf once it starts slipping, I think the trick is to keep it from slipping. Since the front is usually light anyway I think loading them would be wise. Mind you I have never done that yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.