wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:52 PM

Steering wheel or not I am starting it tomorrow. I actually had to set the steering wheel on the floor to get it off the hood because I about fell 3 or 4 times because it was sitting on the hood. Reason being... every time I did a close look at something on or near the 222 I bent down and grabbed the steering wheel for balance (as normal I guess) and well... the steering wheel came with me each time LOL.

• John@Reliable and MH81 have said thanks

#17 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 11:20 PM

Sorry you were having some troubles with it today. I hope tomorrow goes better for you!

But.... Since you are so fond of that steering wheel, just grab it one more time and hold it tight in your hands @ about the 9 and 3 o'clock position. Now just run around the yard making engine sounds and pretend you are driving the 222. :hitting_self_roller: :rolling:

• wvbuzzmaster and KennyP have said thanks

#18 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 12:03 PM

Well, went out and messed with the Case 222. Picked up all the tools around it, got some ventilation going, and put in a battery. Only had one problem... I picked a dead battery LOL. So put the charger to it for 15 minutes and left the charger hooked up and on and attempted to start the Case 222. Keep in mind the last time it ran was over two years ago but I put in all fresh gasoline with the fuel line swap. Well. I started cranking it over, gave it some choke and it wasn't even offering, until I shoved the throttle up from an idle. That was when it started up and ran. I let it run a few and throttled up and what not. I do not hear any horrible noises other than mabey needing a slight tuneup. I will have to check that out when I actually can get outside the shop with it. I drove it back and forth about 4 feet and shut it off. I also did not test the mower deck since I was indoors still lol. Over all a success and the hydraulics seem to be working as they should. I did see one thing it is going to need engine wise, the o-ring on the dipstick no longer does it's job of keeping the oil in. I also need to reconfigure the exhaust and mabey just buy the OEM exhaust to get rid of the setup on it now. It isn't appealing to me, adds weight to the rear motor mounts, and if wearing steel toes it cooks your right toes LOL. So mabey I will give Bob a call and see what he has to sell me today LOL.

• MH81, HowardsMF155 and Arti have said thanks

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 12, 2014 - 10:45 PM

I am going to give a little update here.

I did put an OEM exhaust on it before finally selling it, the clatter was still there so, see ya.

Bought it back not running a few months after selling it. The spark plug had blown out, and the guy took the head to someone to helicoil it. Then he bolted it back on with the same head gasket. Well, he blew that gasket out immediately after using it and drove back to the shop, ruining the head. His neighbor bought the tractor and then I bought it from him. From what I understand the guy I sold the Case to did not know that head bolts get torqued, let alone in a certain pattern.... Oops.

So fast forward to this past weekend. I went to bolt a new used head on the Case 222 and dumped out the bag of bolts. Guess what, I was missing half the hardware.... Ugh. so substituted with the best hardware I could find on the shelf, which was very close to OEM. Opted to replace almost all the hardware. So I bolted the head on, and put gas in it. Started right up like it had before. Sounded the same clatter wise.

So I yanked the front alf off and the engine forward enough to check the neoprene star they hide very well. Yes it got new engine oil and a replacement neoprene star. The old star was hard and beat up, so hoped that was it. Got it started and that took care of a good bit of the noise, but not all.

Anyway, I am down to the catch 22 of all catch 22's. Do I sell it again, or keep it to replace the Caterpillar (Craftsman) that has been plaguing me for years. Case 222 starts reliably, runs, and mows. I had kept all the extra parts from when I sold it before, so can set it up to do the few basic things I need that the Caterpillar no longer provides due to unreliability. Such duties as moving the Utility trailers into and out of the driveway, and general dragging around of immovable machines. Additionally the Case 222 has opportunity to mow, a bonus over the Caterpillar. So help me make a new decision.

#20 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:30 PM

Anyone have any questions or thoughts about the 222 since reading the update?

#21 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 569 Thanks
  • 631 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Have you checked the valve lash.Does the 12hp have balance gear?

#22 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Plow Days are coming up, keep it, fix it, use it, both of them. IMO

#23 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:29 AM

If this is the newer version, and has rubber engine mounts,
I would check them.
When they wear out they let the engine sit on the frame and it rattles like it has an engine knock!

Joe
  • Alc said thank you