wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:27 PM

This past weekend I got the notion that I needed to get the Case 222 back into action in order to mow with it. I remember last using it a few years ago and loved it, but parked it when its normal "chatter" became louder and more prevalent. I had assumed it to be engine related so thought pump coupler or balance gear (verdict still out). But last night I took a look at it and I knew the rear two motor mounts were in bad shape but something more caught my eye on the right side rear mount... pop rivets!!  Well, all know that is wrong but that rubber mount was sagging something aweful, and that is when I realized I had a metal to metal scenario. Now that got me thinking... mabey that is the chatter. I had bought new mounts a few years ago but never installed them so got to work this evening and replaced the right rear and that mount was not even close to OEM (not enough rubber for the weight at all) and then I was working on the left rear mount when a good friend stops by that I see at all the local tractor shows. Anyway, long story short we did some BSing and then I got back to work and finished replacing the mounts. I opted to only replace the back two mounts as the front two were fine and the back two had couple issues. Plus I was doing the wonder bar replacement method (not for the faint of heart).

So then after some dinner I started on the fuel line replacement as I was remembering that the tractor acted like it ran out of gas last couple times I had used it before parking. So cut the hard fuel line off the fuel pump and about 1/2 gallon of old gasoline drained into a catch pan.... hmmm I thought it was out of gas... So I taped the new fuel line to the old and pulled it in when I yanked the gas tank. I then did something I would have never thought to do ever due to not wanting to disrupt the balance of working things... I took the plastic fuel barb out of the plastic fuel tank. That my friends, was a eureka moment. Believe it or not that barb fitting had the little plastic screen tube that goes up in the tank, well, I would have thought that was safe. Apparently that screen tube was smashed up something aweful... hmmm, bet that would make something act like it is out of gasoline lol. So I swapped in a regular plastic barb fitting with no screen and plan to pick up a fuel filter tomorrow.

I also yanked the steering wheel off (with a gear puller) to replace the bushing (got to pick one up tomorrow). anyway, the steering wheel came off pretty easy compared to the fight I keep hearing about lol. Anyway, tomorrow evening I plan to get that thing back together and try to get it running to see if a few of my issues are gone finally. If so I know of an improvement I got to make, those halogens I saw a few months ago. :D

Oh, if all goes well I will try to get a video (nothing like Alan's though, I aint that crazy yet LOL)

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, May 28, 2013 - 09:30 PM.

• MH81 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Casey I have a feeling you just fixed all of the issues you were having. I'll be looking forward to the good news tomorrow ( I hope). Good luck! :thumbs: :D

Now I'll go back to eating my bowl of popcorn I made to read your post :rolling: :wave:

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#3 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 11:24 PM

Hopefully that is the noise you heard, as the pump/bracket is firmly attract to motor , so in "theory"  :smilewink:  love-joy coupling wouldn't be affected by loose motor mounts.

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Hopefully that is the noise you heard, as the pump/bracket is firmly attract to motor , so in "theory"  :smilewink:  love-joy coupling wouldn't be affected by loose motor mounts.

Right, but that never means that the neoprene star that prevents metal to metal contact can't wear out or self destruct for various reasons, which I hope is not it. We will know for sure tomorrow though.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:21 AM

Right, but that never means that the neoprene star that prevents metal to metal contact can't wear out or self destruct for various reasons, which I hope is not it. We will know for sure tomorrow though.

Those stars are not expensive, maybe 10$ so if that's the issue at least it's not a wallet buster. Shouldn't be hard to find a LJ dealer to get one either.  

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,439 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 07:15 AM

I'd buy it!

#7 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:02 AM

Those stars are not expensive, maybe 10$ so if that's the issue at least it's not a wallet buster. Shouldn't be hard to find a LJ dealer to get one either.

The price aint tje problem, but rather the location and half the tractor has to come apart to get to it.

#8 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 09:19 AM

The price aint tje problem, but rather the location and half the tractor has to come apart to get to it.

That's the truth, when working on my case's I wish my kids were little again (small hands) :D

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:16 AM

Last night i was just wishing i was two of me to be on both sides of the engine while wonderbaring it around lol.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Well????

It is "Tomorrow"...

Where's the video, the update, the info...  we're pacing the floor here... :rolling:

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 04:15 PM

I just got home from work, some of us have to work you know lol. Tapatalk can only give me just enough of a fix during the day lol.

#12 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Did not make a lot of progress on it tonight... The gas tank is installed, the sheet metal back on around it, and fuel line is hooked up. Went to install the bushing I bought into the steering system and I screwed up. I knew it was 5/8 x 13/16, and that was an odd size. So I bought a 5/8 x 3/4 because the 3/4 is larger than 13/16 but that is where I screwed up.... I needed 7/8, not dyslexia!!! I just wanted to be able to file to fit. I dunno what to do, could buy the nylon bushing that would been factory, but I wanted brass for longevity... I dunno... the steering wheel is still off right now, shop is a mess still... I dunno what I am doing right this minute... help me!!

#13 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:24 PM

Dear,Springy Thingy

Snap out of it ,get back to work on it. Hope that helps Buzz!

Shawn

• MH81 and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:49 PM

**Slap**
There, did that help?
  • wvbuzzmaster and tractorgarden have said thanks

#15 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 10:36 PM

You don't need a steering wheel to start it up :thumbs: ,

I'm not sure about the factory bushing either,  they only last about 20 years :D