This past weekend I got the notion that I needed to get the Case 222 back into action in order to mow with it. I remember last using it a few years ago and loved it, but parked it when its normal "chatter" became louder and more prevalent. I had assumed it to be engine related so thought pump coupler or balance gear (verdict still out). But last night I took a look at it and I knew the rear two motor mounts were in bad shape but something more caught my eye on the right side rear mount... pop rivets!! Well, all know that is wrong but that rubber mount was sagging something aweful, and that is when I realized I had a metal to metal scenario. Now that got me thinking... mabey that is the chatter. I had bought new mounts a few years ago but never installed them so got to work this evening and replaced the right rear and that mount was not even close to OEM (not enough rubber for the weight at all) and then I was working on the left rear mount when a good friend stops by that I see at all the local tractor shows. Anyway, long story short we did some BSing and then I got back to work and finished replacing the mounts. I opted to only replace the back two mounts as the front two were fine and the back two had couple issues. Plus I was doing the wonder bar replacement method (not for the faint of heart).
So then after some dinner I started on the fuel line replacement as I was remembering that the tractor acted like it ran out of gas last couple times I had used it before parking. So cut the hard fuel line off the fuel pump and about 1/2 gallon of old gasoline drained into a catch pan.... hmmm I thought it was out of gas... So I taped the new fuel line to the old and pulled it in when I yanked the gas tank. I then did something I would have never thought to do ever due to not wanting to disrupt the balance of working things... I took the plastic fuel barb out of the plastic fuel tank. That my friends, was a eureka moment. Believe it or not that barb fitting had the little plastic screen tube that goes up in the tank, well, I would have thought that was safe. Apparently that screen tube was smashed up something aweful... hmmm, bet that would make something act like it is out of gasoline lol. So I swapped in a regular plastic barb fitting with no screen and plan to pick up a fuel filter tomorrow.
I also yanked the steering wheel off (with a gear puller) to replace the bushing (got to pick one up tomorrow). anyway, the steering wheel came off pretty easy compared to the fight I keep hearing about lol. Anyway, tomorrow evening I plan to get that thing back together and try to get it running to see if a few of my issues are gone finally. If so I know of an improvement I got to make, those halogens I saw a few months ago.
Oh, if all goes well I will try to get a video (nothing like Alan's though, I aint that crazy yet LOL)
Edited by wvbuzzmaster, May 28, 2013 - 09:30 PM.