• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 massey 16 OFFLINE  

massey 16
  • Member No: 33855
  • 4 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Has any one rebuilt a larder kohler such as k321 or k341  and not put balancing gears in or the plates from kirk engines?

• Clippnalawn and larryd have said thanks

#2 brahlf OFFLINE  

brahlf
  • Member No: 9019
  • 11 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:58 PM

I just rebuilt my k341 last fall and left out the balancing gears. It's hard to tell if its any different. Still runs though.
  • Clippnalawn said thank you

#3 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:59 PM

I'm rebuilding my K321 right now. I am not putting the balance gears back. From what Iv've read you may notice a bit of vibration at lower rpm's but it diesn't affect performance.
  • WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 01:06 AM

We left it out on the rebuilt 140. Sounds like most people do.

#5 Clippnalawn OFFLINE  

Clippnalawn

• Member No: 4993
  • 109 Thanks
  • 104 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 03:13 AM

I Left Them Out Of My K341 too. It Shakes Like A Dog Coming Outof A Cold Pond At Low Rpms, But Once You Rev It Up A Few Hundred Rpm Its Not Bad At All.

#6 massey 16 OFFLINE  

massey 16
  • 4 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 02:05 PM

Why do you think it vibrates at low rpm I would think it would be shake more at high rpm

#7 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,311 Thanks
  • 4,661 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 03:26 PM

You can get the crankshaft's weight's ground to balance the motor without the "GRENADE GEARS'!  Either way-  toss-em before the blow and take your whole engine with them..  The harmonics of a higher revving engine minimize the imbalance of the crank weight I believe Massey..  I've rebuilt a K-341 and tossed  the gears but as it was in a JD 314 with a tank's tranny the motor mounts took quite a bit of stress so I had to repair & beef them up..  Good Luck Pilgrim!

#8 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Have rebuilt a few of the 16 hp engines (341). I ALWAYS pull the balance gears. I don't pull the posts out - just leave them there, but remove the balance gears and washers/spacers.

IIR, the kohler manual states that if there is wear in the balance gear assembly, you need to replace ALL the pieces of the assembly. Given the damage these things can do if they let go, I would replace the whole assembly whenever I rebuilt the motor if I were going to leave them in.... If they let go, they are in the crankcase, and there are lots of things for them to bounce off and wedge into and can destroy the motor.

But, the big motors shake - with or without the balance gears. I honestly don't see much difference in the vibration with or without them..... Have one in my Deere 316 Kohler (rubber mounted) and in my Ford LGT165s (one welded in pan, one rubber mounted engine). The rubber mounted ones seem to shudder MORE than the solid mount at idle and low rpm. But all three settle down (thats a relative term.... :D ) once the revs come up. All three are hydro transmission models, so they pretty much always run at or near full throttle.

If it were me, I would pull them.....

• IamSherwood said thank you

#9 massey 16 OFFLINE  

massey 16
  • 4 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 03:37 PM

Thanks everyone I will leave the balancing gears out

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted June 02, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I have rebuilt more than a few of these engines and IDK if it's "luck" or what but the K301/M12 I currently have apart under the bench is the 1st Kohler I have been inside of that has the balance gears; I have heard of them grenading... is it random or is it low oil/certain conditions of usage that makes them more prone to blow?

This is being built as a ready spare for my Woods 1250 ZTR mower  and came off of an identical mowersame SPEC number and all even; I was actually wondering what would happen if I left them out.... IIRC they have what looked like needle bearings within the gears... I was actually wondering about pressing them out and havin Motion Industries match me up some new ones and pressing those in before I reassemble this engine. (I have the press anyway LOL)