• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:07 PM

Both of these first 2 parts can come from a K181 OR an M8.  I have of each that I am working on, and are interchangeable.

1) a carb that is rebuildable and doesn't look like it was dredged out of a lake  I have soaked mine 4X and it takes on this look within a day of sitting in the air,  I am afraid of it...(and I have rebuilt too many carbs to try and recount) can be a Walbro or original style Kohler  hopefully without sloppy throttle shaft

2) a good used crank that doesn't need the crankpin reground undersize; I have a low hour engine that came from a starting unit (like the tow trucks have) with a worthless short tapered crank. 

It can be 3/4 or 1" I don't care; just as long as the keyway is good, crankpin is good (and "standard")  and NOT tapered.

3) a Starter cup for a pull (recoil) start 12HP Magnum; I have elec start now, and I also have a recoil starter and recoil start shroud "for" this engine. I like redundancy, in case I'm out in the back 40 and my battery dies...

not sure if any of the ones from a K 301 would work or not but I'm guessing it should, (some guidance on that one, would be welcome too)

4) the gov linkage bellcranks etc that bolts to the shroud, and linkage rods to connect to the carb for the 12HP. I robbed what I had from it, to get another engine going. 

Edited by dodge trucker, May 28, 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:10 PM

I have access to a fairly decent supply of Kohler cranks.  What is your type number?

Ben W.

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I have access to a fairly decent supply of Kohler cranks.  What is your type number?

Ben W.

the plate/decal  is nonexistent.  But  that don't matter. My type number would cross to the same tapered crank I am trying to get away from. 

I don't care if the PTO is a 3/4 or a 1"   the engine is a magneto not battery start if that matters (I don't think it does though as the points run off the cam  not the crank)  let me know what you have available.

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 06:28 AM

I have a carb, let me dig it out and look at it.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 07:42 PM

I have a carb, let me dig it out and look at it.

lemme know...   thanks..  just so you know I am not expecting  a "bolt on and run" deal... what ever I get will be dunked and kitted...

I have dunked mine about 4X now and after a day even the outside of it looks like it was dredged up from the bottom of a lake... all crusty and such.  so no tellin what the inside may look like   and I have no way to find out w/o totally destroying it either

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 30, 2013 - 08:09 PM

Yes, I have one! It was running when it blew up. Do you need the air filter, too?

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 08:58 PM

Yes, I have one! It was running when it blew up. Do you need the air filter, too?

yeah. air filter would be great.  How bad's the damage, what else is left from that engine?  crank salvageable? 

#8 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:06 PM

No, it's long gone. Block and cam was broken, crank bad.

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:16 PM

air filter not a "must"/ I think I have the one off this motor yet,  i'd have to look...  if it made or broke shipping, i'd say no, to the air filter.

I just said "yeah" initially because then I'd be sure I had one for it. 

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:31 AM

the plate/decal  is nonexistent.  But  that don't matter. My type number would cross to the same tapered crank I am trying to get away from. 

I don't care if the PTO is a 3/4 or a 1"   the engine is a magneto not battery start if that matters (I don't think it does though as the points run off the cam  not the crank)  let me know what you have available.

Without a part number or a model number I'm taking a wild guess.  I haven't heard back from my guy with the parts, but he did have an M8 crank that had a 3/4 shaft, but I don't know how it is keyed.  He is supposed to check for me.

Ben W.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 08:48 AM

as long as it is an M8 or a K181 the crank will physically fit in the block, the differences are in the length and diameter, threading in the PTO end,  keyway style.  All I know is that the tapered crank I have now, makes this engine useless to me.

I rebuilt an M8 about 5 years ago, and I spent what seemed like hours on the Kohler site comparing various spec number engines I "pulled out of the air" both M8s and K 181.  There was ALOT of the same parts used, between all of them..

Kohler site has changed alot in the last ~6 months though  I was just on there looking when I needed a fuel pump for the "other" M 12 I have besides the one that I have in this thread that I also asked about parts for;  Way too much consolidation compared to before.  They used to show all the supersede's and old part numbers that a given part replaced or "was the same as"   It is obvious that kohler really wants to sweep the K and M series unbder the rug, when these engines were the very products that gave Kohler its good reputation as a long lasting heavy duty engine.  Call it more "dumbing down of America"  and wanting to get away from "made in USA" and push this "globally sourced" bull $#!t.... I wish theyd build things like they used to, before this "global" crap took hold.

On the kohler site,hey used to let you put a PN in and they would tell you by that number what applications used "that" part. and again all the "equivalents" and supersede numbers..... both ways. By that I mean they showed the PN that the one you put in replaced, and newer PN's that replaced the one you were asking about. Maybe they just restricted "guest" users as I would use the site as, and "dealers" can still get that info on these older engines?

#12 rrmeidl OFFLINE  

rrmeidl
  • Member No: 12759
  • 33 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 07, 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have a new crank. I'll let go for $75 plus shipping If your interested.

#13 rrmeidl OFFLINE  

rrmeidl
  • 33 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 11:15 AM

as long as it is an M8 or a K181 the crank will physically fit in the block, the differences are in the length and diameter, threading in the PTO end,  keyway style.  All I know is that the tapered crank I have now, makes this engine useless to me.

I rebuilt an M8 about 5 years ago, and I spent what seemed like hours on the Kohler site comparing various spec number engines I "pulled out of the air" both M8s and K 181.  There was ALOT of the same parts used, between all of them..

Kohler site has changed alot in the last ~6 months though  I was just on there looking when I needed a fuel pump for the "other" M 12 I have besides the one that I have in this thread that I also asked about parts for;  Way too much consolidation compared to before.  They used to show all the supersede's and old part numbers that a given part replaced or "was the same as"   It is obvious that kohler really wants to sweep the K and M series unbder the rug, when these engines were the very products that gave Kohler its good reputation as a long lasting heavy duty engine.  Call it more "dumbing down of America"  and wanting to get away from "made in USA" and push this "globally sourced" bull $#!t.... I wish theyd build things like they used to, before this "global" crap took hold.

On the kohler site,hey used to let you put a PN in and they would tell you by that number what applications used "that" part. and again all the "equivalents" and supersede numbers..... both ways. By that I mean they showed the PN that the one you put in replaced, and newer PN's that replaced the one you were asking about. Maybe they just restricted "guest" users as I would use the site as, and "dealers" can still get that info on these older engines?

The company is purging all K and M series parts from there inventory. Pretty soon all will be gone.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted June 08, 2013 - 11:23 AM

The company is purging all K and M series parts from there inventory. Pretty soon all will be gone.

that sucks/..... the engines that made them famous aren't good enuf for them no more... "purge" means at cheap prices I'd hope... they seem to have sent prices way "the wrong way".

on your new crank  I'm interested but gotta see what payday brings in a couple days....

Lilys Dad... got that carb Thursday... looks good thanks.

• LilysDad said thank you

#15 rrmeidl OFFLINE  

rrmeidl
  • 33 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted June 10, 2013 - 10:14 AM

No "Purge" means throw away!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wanted, wanted, kohler