#1 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,304 Thanks
  • 2,336 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:07 PM

Boy oh boy did I mess my back up good yesterday.I can't stand up straight without doubling over in pain.

I was kneeling down working on rebuilding a carb,got that done and took the tractor out to fine tune the adjustments.then I finished rebuilding a deck spindle for my neighbor and got it put back on his tractor and took it up and dropped it off.Then came home and decided to finish pounding in my garden fence posts that I had cut the other day.On the last one I got in a hurry and missed a swing with the 10lb sledge and twisted my back a good 1.

I immediately felt a sharp pain just above my tail bone.When I came in from outside my back started to cramp up and get painful muscle spasms in my lower back.Now I'm having 1 heck of a time even trying to stand up let alone walk around,between the pain and sever weakness in my lower back.Sleeping Last night was about an hour at a time.

I'm afraid to go to the doctors because I have no health insurance but the pain is very very bad.I don't want to take pain meds in fear of becoming dependent on them.Heck I won't even take aspirin for a head ache.

I'm a bit bull headed and I know that it will possibly clear up in time as it's done in the past,but I have so much stuff that needs to be done in the coming weeks and I'm afraid the doc will put me on meds.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing?

I've had pack pain before but nothing as severe as this.

• JRJ said thank you

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:32 PM

I'm not a doctor or a health care professional, but I have found heat helps when I over work my back.  Not fire hot, but hot-water-bottle heat.  That and lying still.  Won't help if you've done actual damage to the spinal column or torn something badly, but it will help if you've just overdone it.  Best advise: Vote for Obama's mandatory health insurance.  We have free health care up here in the great white north & I can't imagine life without it.

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:45 PM

Sometimes I strain or twist wrong and hurt my back. I have a small electric heating pad with heat adjustment that works great.

Edited by jms180, May 28, 2013 - 06:47 PM.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#4 PappyH OFFLINE  

PappyH

• Member No: 7112
  • 35 Thanks
  • 53 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:46 PM

Been dealing with low  back pain for over 40 years including surgery.  Ice, heat and rest will work the best.  I am on 2-3 Norco's daily for pain as well as Lyrica now.  Just remember this... Once you have injured your back to the degree you have it is very, very easy to do it again so be very carefull.  One thing that helped me a lot was to lay on the floor with my legs and feet up in the seat of a chair, it took a lot of pressure off the low back .  Everyone responds differently to back pain but rest seems to help all.  Be carefull and good luck.

• EricFromPa said thank you

#5 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:59 PM

ive destroyed most of my lower back muscle tissue and have a 25lb weight limit and ive been this way since '08. ive tried every pain med the doc has giving me, the thing that works best is no lifting anything for awhile more or less lay down watch tv nap a lot heat pads work great once ya can move around a lil bit go see a chiropractor they do help. they also sell a pillow that take AA batteries that vibrates that loosens up the muscles along with heat.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:01 PM

Taking it easy and slowly exercising it back is the best thing for me. I have had back problems for years and sometimes going to the doc and getting a shot is the only thing I can do to get relief.

#7 Enginerod ONLINE  

Enginerod

• Member No: 1748
  • 205 Thanks
  • 268 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:02 PM

I'll start by saying I'm also not a doctor but I have dealt with back/ muscle strain for more than 25 years. Being a mechanic with all the awkward lifting and twisting has made me a sort of expert LOL, I would recommend ibuprofen and ice. Also resting your back is a must for recovery as is making sure to lift the right way EVERY TIME! Avoiding working in a bent over position for extended periods is a good idea too. Good luck.           Bill.

• backwoods said thank you

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Get the electric heating pad out and place a damp towel over the area that bothers you and then place the heating pad over that.

Dick

#9 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Been dealing with low  back pain for over 40 years including surgery.  Ice, heat and rest will work the best.  I am on 2-3 Norco's daily for pain as well as Lyrica now.  Just remember this... Once you have injured your back to the degree you have it is very, very easy to do it again so be very carefull.  One thing that helped me a lot was to lay on the floor with my legs and feet up in the seat of a chair, it took a lot of pressure off the low back .  Everyone responds differently to back pain but rest seems to help all.  Be carefull and good luck.

I'm with PappyH heat then ice10 minutes each and rest

#10 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:56 PM

Chiropracter is usually where I end up when I get down in my back.

#11 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,747 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:13 PM

Chiropractor is where I go too

when my lower back starts hurt - sometimes I use Icy Hot and wrap my lower body with glad wrap - it helps me

Note do not use Ben Gray - if you do you will be sorry the next few days - blisters

I have been going to Chiropractors for over 50 years

I had polio when I was 3 - you would not know it if you saw me -  exercising does help 

good luck

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:22 PM

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing?

Find the money and GO SEE A DOCTOR.. as everyone here says.. We are not doctors..  Take care of your self.. 

• EricFromPa and 1978murray have said thanks

#13 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Chiropracter is usually where I end up when I get down in my back.

Chiropractor is where I go too

when my lower back starts hurt - sometimes I use Icy Hot and wrap my lower body with glad wrap - it helps me

Note do not use Ben Gray - if you do you will be sorry the next few days - blisters

I have been going to Chiropractors for over 50 years

I had polio when I was 3 - you would not know it if you saw me -  exercising does help 

good luck

Same here, a good chiropractor adjustment can do wonders. I've used one for the last 25 years after I herniated 3 disks. Sometimes I will go a year or more between adjustments.

#14 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I agree with team_Green. go see a doctor or med express. they arnt that much

#15 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 08:47 PM

forgot to metation that the doc also sent me to physical therapy which was temporary relife but seeing the doc is the best thing to do when it come to a injury that slows you down. until then take it easy dont over do anything