cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted July 22, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Sucks that you hurt your finger.

Good that it's getting better.

Also good is the little time for reflection that being taken out of action can give a person.  Makes you appreciate what you do more whenever you can get back to it.

Good luck.

• hamman said thank you

#47 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 11:58 AM

More physical therapy since I was last here. Getting more flexability in both joints and some feeling back in the finger. Got cleared to use power tools today as long as I use a glove to cover the delicate skin and be very careful. I've got lots to do so I am going to get on it. Bearings are greased and ready for innstallation. I have to have two pulleys spot weleded due to loosening the hubs while trying to get them off the spindles. Finger looks a lot better since the skin has grown back. Thanks. Roger.

#48 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 29, 2013 - 01:44 PM

Take it easy and don't let the set back and time table dictate to you to where you start pushing to get things done.  I'm sure the first time you hit that finger it will let you know and of course since it is still healing you WILL hit it.  Murphy's law.

Glad to hear it is improving and you can now start doing a few things.  Be Careful.

• hamman said thank you

#49 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 02:57 PM

Not much to update on this except we are still going back and forth to the hospital twice a week for PT and it seems that it is working slowly. They feel that the feeling in the finger will return in aprox. a year. I still can't make a fist completely. Finger is growing skin and continues to fill out some. Nail is comming back slowly. Everone heals at a differant rate and that is to be expected. I have been cleared to do more as long as I am careful and wear gloves doing it. The colder days we have had here lately has affected the finger as it gets cold easier and stays cold longer than the rest.  Here are a couple of updated pics. Thanks. Roger.DSCF5179.JPG DSCF5177.JPG

• MH81, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#50 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Glad to hear your finger is improving.  You really did a trick to it so it is going to take it a while to heal but it is looking a lot better.  Soon this will be but a memory.  Thanks for the update.

• hamman said thank you

#51 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,685 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 23, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Is that your finger or did they graft one from a cadaver? It looks like it would be too small to fit your nose properly.

• hamman said thank you

#52 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted August 24, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Yup, it's my finger. Skin grew back and nail is growing. I have noticed that it will inadvertantly slide further up my nose and leave a larger air gap when I do so,  now depending on how you look at it that may be a bad thing or a good thing. Sometimes my wife says I need a attitude adjustment and maybe just maybe I could find the adjusting screw up there to change my attitude just a smidge. However if I do that I may adjust it the wrong way and I may end up with way more GTs than she wants. She has finally said "don't do that". I am going to take her advise. Roger.

• olcowhand, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#53 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:10 AM

My biggest one is burning myself with slag when cutting with the torches. I've got my finger in a grinder a time or two.

Watching my dad get a metal burr in his eye when I was a kid I'll never grind without glasses. He went through heck on the one. Had to wear an eye patch for 2 months.
  • hamman said thank you

#54 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:27 AM

Glad the finger is looking like a finger again!  Has to be a painful ordeal to go through.  Any kind of a setback does make you think.  I can't actually see my setback, so it makes me think even more.

• hamman said thank you

#55 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 11:39 AM

Good to see it looking almost normal again. Hope the finger starts to stay warm soon. Last year I got a 3" nail through my finger. Nailed my glove to the finger, had to pull it out just to get the glove off to see the damage.  :(  It took several months for the feeling to return, it was always cold like yours.

• hamman said thank you

#56 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 12:15 PM

I have a finger that got jammed right on the end by a rotating bolt on a shaft a few years back.  It still has numbness, more at times, and gets cold quicker too.  

• hamman and shorty have said thanks

#57 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 05:10 PM

That's so weird you guys mention the coldness.

When I had my first job at a warehouse I was cutting down boxes with a razor knife and I cut the tip of my left ring finger just about clean off. I could see the bone tip. The skin was held on by a flap. I dumped peroxide on it and flipped the skin over and wrapped it up. Luckily it healed as I had no insurance for stitches and I was afraid of getting fired for getting hurt.

The tip of that finger is devoid of all feeling. I can poke it with needles and feel nothing and that finger the whole finger is always cold.
  • hamman and shorty have said thanks

#58 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,685 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 06:00 PM

If you guys keep trying to top the other guys story, I'm gonna' be sick, I swear!!!  (This is where the vomit smilie goes)

Edited by LilysDad, September 07, 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#59 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,569 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:06 PM

If you guys keep trying to top the other guys story, I'm gonna' be sick, I swear!!!  (This is where the vomit smilie goes)

Sorry LD. I didn't think of it that it might be too gory. Just a few finger stories.

#60 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,685 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 07:44 PM

:bigrofl: