#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 04:54 PM

Since i injured my finger on Saturday I have had time to think of how much it actualy sets you back and keeps you from doing simple evryday tasks. It was the left index finget that I got caught in my 4 1/2 " angle grinder with a knotted wire wheel on it. Reflecting as I sat in the ER I realized that I would not be able to use my new Gold driver for a while, not be able to practice the banjo, do much typing (two handed), simple task of buttoning buttons. closing snaps, etc, etc.. I guess the biggest thing I found was how prevetable it was and should of been as i reflect. Gloves probably would of helped, then again I don't know. Might have made it worse. Trying to hurry a project that will now likely set me back a couple of weeks. using care and caution when operating any power tool is always on my mind but as I said I was trying to hurry to get it done and documment it as I was going along.

I have a good high threshold of pain but this is almost at my limit to breaking. Even with pain medication it is very high. I guess I don't mind letting everypone know the i was dumb and careless if it just helps prevent someone else from doing something along the same line or something else.

typing this has been a chore and adds more to the lesson. Not asking for pitty just putting it out there for others to hear about and hopefully not have to endure the inconvienience or pain. Take care all. Roger.

• Gtractor, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 6 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 05:04 PM

Hamman, I appreciate you sharing your experience and felt it belonged in the Safety forum.  It is a good lesson for all of us to learn and as I read the experiences of others I now think twice about what I'm doing.  Thanks for Sharing and I hope you heal quickly.

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Sorry you got hurt doing something you were enjoying.
We've all been there and in a hurry and paid for it.

My finger is still healing from a (shoulda got stitches) deep cut from 3 weeks ago.
Don't normally cuss in front of my Mom, never the bigguns, this cut was bad enough , deep enough and hurt enough to make me drop the biggest one, repetitively.

I hope your recovery is quick and as painless from here out as possible.
  • hamman said thank you

#4 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:02 PM

Roger, I just cringed reading this. I can't imagine how much that hurt and still hurts. Hope it gets easier to deal with ASAP. Losing the use of your hand is bad enough without having to deal with the pain.

• hamman said thank you

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:05 PM

When I got my finger with the angle grinder I honestly believe that gloves would have made it worse.  I think the jagged disc would have grabbed the leather and really messed me up. As it was the disc cut and ran.

A finger injury is one of the worst ones to have to recover from. No matter what I do I always try to use the injured finger.

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,686 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:18 PM

I just want you to know how bad I feel for you. I know that has to be painful and you must be really kicking yourself about your circumstances.....    Can we have some pictures???!!!

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:47 PM

I hope the recovery is quick and speedy.  I know I take for granted my body's state of health, what little I have. 

Ben W.

#8 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:12 PM

I think the majority of us have bee there Roger. Thanks for sharing this! As we all need constant reminding about the safety aspect of things while we work on our old iron ( or anything). I'm sorry you had to get hurt though! :(

I do hope it heals quick for you, and I hope the  pain eases up a bit!

#9 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your finger .I caught my finger on a bench grinder  wire wheel , not nearly as bad as yours but   25 years later you can still can see the finger print looks funny at the tip , hope  yours starts to heal well  soon

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:38 PM

I have had 16 penny nail through a finger once, and then cut another into the bone a different time. Both events required stitches and both were set backs to life. It sucks but you learn and move on. A few months ago when I was cleaning up the battery box of the Farmall Cub with my grinder and wire wheel I was having a heck of a time keeping the thing still so.. I stood on it. Lucky for me I always wear jeans (year round) and I never seen a wire wheel on a grinder wrap jeans around itself before, well, not while the jeans were on me that is LOL. Few minor scrapes compared to how it could have gone. I was wearing my safety glasses though. :D Anyway, key to it all is never make the same mistake twice, but better to not make it at all (too bad we are imperfect).

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, May 28, 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#11 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 09:42 PM

Thanks for the sentiment guys. I didn't get any pics when it happened but I have to change the bandage tomorrow. i will get my EMT (ret) wife to take a couple and post them. Thanks guys and yes I should of put it in the safety forum. Roger.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:13 PM

Wife made me go to the Dr. this am after we removed the bandage that was appiled at the hospital on Sat. aftn.. Once we removed it we saw that it had for lack of bettrer explenation acted as a tourniquet to the tip of the finger. where it ended on the end of the finger by the first knuckle it was cutting off blod flow. my dr. said it was applied to tight an that it was good we took it off today. so far no sign of infection and during the time i was at the dr. office the finger started to pinken up and the size of the finger was comming back to normal. she said that they had stopped using that type of bandage due to them being appied way to tight. she cleaned it and redressed it with losser bandages an i have to go back on friday for another check and tedressing. she said it will be alengthy time for healing due to the type of injury an its nature. my summer of golfing an the many projects are on hold for now. have to keep it elevated an clean and dry. sorry for the typing errors can only use one hand. good news is that it will evevtually heal.   take care. roger.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:58 PM

Good catch, glad you got some blood flow going again.

I feel for you, and don't worry about a spelling error or three, I have two good hands and can't type.

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,513 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Glad you guys caught that! Best of luck with the healing process!

#15 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,769 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 06:57 PM

I have had doctors put bandages on too tight. Sometimes I wonder what they are thinking.

Glad you caught it and got to the doc right away.