#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 03:09 PM

I just got it today. I came home and the butterfly was bent and I straightened it out. Before I did that it was basically running wide open at all times. Now it idles great but whenever it gets into high RPMs it starts to surge. I tried adjusting the air screw but it just won't even out. It appears it's burning really rich also (white smoke coming out of the pipe while it's surging).

It has the 18 hp Onan engine on it. I'll get the model number in a few.

#2 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Sounds like just a simple carb adjustment. I would run some Seafoam in the gas too.

#3 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 04:33 PM

I have adjusted the air mixture screw by half turns all the way in and out. I never found that "sweet" spot.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 28, 2013 - 07:40 PM

I have adjusted the air mixture screw by half turns all the way in and out. I never found that "sweet" spot.

Go a bit slower than half turns, some engines are very picky about an 1/8 of a turn. 

It's not running rich (in my opinion) but rather running lean.  There's probably something caught in a passage somewhere, as in the main jet area. 

Ben W.

#5 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 05:38 AM

I took the carb completely apart and took every jet out and cleaned it. I know the further I go in the worse it starts running. I finally got it running some what smooth. It still surges whenever I put it under a load.

#6 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted May 29, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Anyone else have any ideas what it can be? I can get it to run smooth but as soon as I idle it down and idle it back up it will start revving

again.

Anyone have any idea other than cleaning and screwing a screw in and out?? 

I've just thought I may need to go thru and change the gas line....hmmmm.....

Edited by SearsYellow, May 29, 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#7 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,736 Thanks
  • 2,250 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 07:24 PM

I'm going to watch this thread, as my 444 is puffing white smoke when it starts up, then surges and stalls out.

#8 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted May 31, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Well just to update this thread.

I went outside tonight and worked on this again. I took the carb back off tonight and sprayed it with a degreaser and put it in scalding water. Before placing it in the water I did remove all jets and screws. I replaced the water for about every 30 minutes for 2 hours. After letting it soak I took it out and then I cleaned it with carb cleaner. After cleaning the carb body I replaced the jets and cleaned the carb again.

I replaced the carb and it started right up. I got it running at full throttle with and it wasn't revving. I started the PTO and it starts surging/hunting. I did find the screw to lower the spring resistance before coming in tonight so I think I will play with that tomorrow.

I did also check the valve tolerances tonight also. They were both identical. Intake was .008 and Exhaust .013.

I did read that it could be the valve seats.. Im hoping not because they are pressed in and haven't found in literature on how to change the seats. If anyone has any literature on doing so please post... please!

#9 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 12:12 AM

I'm honestly a little disappointed with this thread. I have had 2 people comment and that's about how to turn a screw and telling me to clean the carb.

Maybe I should get the moderators to change this to 'Another Crackface on Craigslist' and it would get some attn.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 05:17 AM

It's a possibility the governor is not set right. Which Onan is this?

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 06:15 AM

If  you think it's a lean fuel issue or want to rule it out , try riching the fuel mixture by using a propane from a torch  as it starts to surge , One more thing , you are using a air filter when all this is happening ?  Reason I say this  is a fellow at work thought his generator had a bad carb because it was doing the same thing after he tried starting it with starting fluid , I cupped my hand over the intake and it smoothen right out

#12 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:06 AM

Yes I am using a air filter.

It's a p219 Nikki carb. All the linkages are set right. I actually played with the spring last night and that's one way I got it to smooth out. Now it's just doing it with the PTO engaged. I pulled the heads last night and plan to clean the valve seats later today and I already ordered 2 new head gaskets.

The propane thing I will try today. I've about lost my wits over this engine. I started thinking last night this will end up with my 19.9 Onan engine and ill do a total rebuild on the p219 and stick it on my craftsman 19.9.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:45 AM

One reason you're not getting much in the way of replies is because these Onan carbs are possibly the most finicky ever (DD being the most finicky). Very hard to figure them out sometimes.  Seems all has to be near perfect for them not to hunt.  Plus you never gave a carb # till today.  

Unfortunately, you seem to have done all I would have tried.  Set the float level?  As been said, the air filter must be on to get things dialed in.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 07:58 AM

On the Nikki....does it have a high speed adjustment screw? I ask because newer ones are fixed jets with no adjustments & are the worst to get dialed in.  These fixed jets usually need cleaned with a torch tip cleaner to actually open them up just a shade.  Even if yours is adjustable, it may help by opening it a bit.  No fear to do if adjustable, as you can just screw the jet in to restrict it.  Sounds like it's still not getting enough fuel if the jet screw isn't doing much when you open it.  The hole through the jet can only let so much through no matter the screw setting if it's too small from varnishing up.

#15 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted June 01, 2013 - 02:15 PM

I got it FIXED... HECK YEAH! I had to move the rod that goes from the carb to the governor to the very back hole on the governor arm. Once I did that I went outside and mowed. Another thing it might have been is I ran out of gas and had to put fresh gas in it. I had fresh gas mixed with one year old gas. It does let a puff of white smoke when I throttle it up but it doesn't smoke like it did. I am going to order a new set of headgaskets because they looked pretty bad when i took the heads off.

I was so happy I went and mowed the neighbors yard (they are not home...hehe). Now I have a few issues with the deck but it mows great. I probably need to sharpen blades and grease everything up.

Edited by SearsYellow, June 01, 2013 - 02:25 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, sacsr and 1 other said thanks